Atheism is insane

Atheism is insane

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
09 Dec 07

Originally posted by Asgarth
I really laughed.
negative thing = illusion
positive thing = real
You, my friend, seem to be completely unaware of the world you are living in and in a sad way you are supporting my view of religious people. I honestly pity you.
That's an ad homenum attack fella. Is it because there is no rational argument for the nonexistence of eternal life?

It just so happens I posses the knowledge of the certainty of eternal life, and I'll make no apologise for it. And until you do, your awareness of this world is limited indeed.

S

Moves
09 Dec 07
1 edit

Originally posted by josephw
Your rationale is based in relativism. Many people are born in places and at times and in circumstances that preclude them from ever knowing very much of anything at all.

It doesn't prove a thing.
I've known several Muslims (all originally from Karachi strangely enough) who are convinced that Islam is the one true faith.
They think that Jesus was simply flesh & blood. A prophet, nothing more.
They all came from devoutly Muslim families & never stood a chance at developing any other faith because of brainwashing (like Christian sunday school/school assembly in the West) & geographic/social pressure.
Does that coincide with your belief?

I merely observe that if you had been born in Pakistan you would almost certainly view Jesus as nothing more than a prophet as in the Koran.

You were born (or raised) in the States &.....
BIG SHOCK!!
You're a Christian.

It may not prove anything, but as a simple observation it speaks volumes.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
09 Dec 07

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
You were born (or raised) in the States &.....
BIG SHOCK!!
You're a Christian.

It may not prove anything, but as a simple observation it speaks volumes.
I find it interesting when people convert from one religion to another out of conviction (rather than pure expedience).

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
09 Dec 07

Why? Because I believe in something you can't find a rational argument against?

By believing in the nonexistence of eternal life you put yourself in the untenable position of defending the existence of nothing beyond physical death.

Living forever is what it's all about. Why not get on board?

If at death you cease to exist because you believe that e ...[text shortened]... life the possibilities of life become infinite.

Why BE a finite being? Be an eternal being.
I believe you've still not answered why you believe in your God rather than in the flying spaghetti monster...

S

Moves
09 Dec 07

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
I find it interesting when people convert from one religion to another out of conviction (rather than pure expedience).
Yes that has a certain degree of merit about it.
If josephw were to convert to some obscure Papua New Guinea tribal belief that would be difficult to argue against.

I guess herd mentality is a very basic human trait.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
09 Dec 07

Yes that has a certain degree of merit about it.
If josephw were to convert to some obscure Papua New Guinea tribal belief that would be difficult to argue against.
I wish I knew enough about cargo cults and consumer behaviour to make a fair comparison.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
09 Dec 07

Originally posted by Stregone
Bladder dash! The assertion "...no god" obviously has no "meaning" for you because you are infected by magical, supernatural thinking. There is no credible evidence for a creator. LIFE is full of life. Open your eyes and enjoy all that nature has to offer.
Another ad homenum attack.

Open your spiritual eyes and learn to enjoy the eternal life being offered to you by your maker.

The evidence for a creator is all around you. but because you are spiritually blind you can't see it. Make no mistake. I say this with sadness and not because I think I'm smarter or better than you.

You're making a huge mistake. There are many like yourself who believed the way you do now, and have "seen the light" as it were, and now know the truth. It's just a matter of getting yourself out of the way.

I have come to believe that those who reject the existence of God do so because the admission of the existence of a creator makes them accountable to God. And being accountable to God means denying yourself, and that just too hard to do for the natural man.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Dec 07

I think I saw that film...but I don't recall much...Were my memories wiped? Are there aliens in this forum?
The TV series was better than the movie. The series was quite good
when it came to false gods and aliens, they fought with some aliens
that masqueraded as gods and were later defeated that had no
personal power but great technologies they defeated them, then they
ended up fighting another group of aliens who had both real powers,
and great technologies that wanted to be people's gods.

False gods and science was the theme of the series, they for the most
part left the debate about God on earth out of it, and strickly ran with
gods of our human past that were aliens from off world that we kicked
off the planet years ago, but later came back. So all the gods of the
past were used such as Ra and others they were specific aliens,
they even used Norse gods like Thor to be from another alien race
wanting to guide the human race into batter way. Very entertaining, I
imagine some may even buy into that belief, it could be too I guess.
Kelly

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
09 Dec 07

Why assume a rationale to existence?
It's not an assumption that there is order in the universe.
Order means rationality.
Rationality implies meaning.
Meaning gives purpose.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
09 Dec 07
1 edit

Hang on a minute!
How many religious zealots commit terrible acts only to have their God forgive the sins?
Repent & God must forgive you. That's one hell (pardon the pun) of a get out of jail card.

Atheists (weak or strong 😉) have their conscience & cannot seek forgiveness from God.
Being a religious zealot doesn't guaranty knowledge of God.

Consider what religious zealots commit terrible acts.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
09 Dec 07

Why? Because I believe in something you can't find a rational argument against?

By believing in the nonexistence of eternal life you put yourself in the untenable position of defending the existence of nothing beyond physical death.

Living forever is what it's all about. Why not get on board?

If at death you cease to exist because you believe that e ...[text shortened]... life the possibilities of life become infinite.

Why BE a finite being? Be an eternal being.
Wanting something to be true does not make it so. Sure, I'd like to live forever too, but wishful thinking isn't going to make it happen. I'd like to win the lottery too. But believing that I will isn't going to make it happen either.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
09 Dec 07

Order means rationality.
Order can just as well be a compulsion. Rationality can be self-defeating. Etc.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
09 Dec 07

Originally posted by shavixmir
I believe you've still not answered why you believe in your God rather than in the flying spaghetti monster...
I'll have to be very personal here. You see, I have a conscience. I knew, at the time of my conversion, that something was wrong with me. I tried just about everything to assuage my guilt and shame and have peace of mind, but nothing worked. I wanted peace of mind. Not the illusion of peace of mind, but the real thing. I resisted what I knew was the truth because that would mean I would have to face the fact that what was wrong with me was sin. Life became unbearable knowing that what was wrong with me was me. That meant I had to swallow my pride and tern to the only one who could fix the problem.

What a relief it was when I finally did it. And now I'm filled with the spirit of Christ and I am free. Eternally free.

And it's no illusion. And I'm no better than you. I'm just saved is all.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
09 Dec 07

Order can just as well be a compulsion. Rationality can be self-defeating. Etc.
Why define rationality as self-defeating? Being rational is facing reality for what it is.

Being rational is facing the truth. It's the hardest thing to do.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
09 Dec 07

Originally posted by rwingett
Wanting something to be true does not make it so. Sure, I'd like to live forever too, but wishful thinking isn't going to make it happen. I'd like to win the lottery too. But believing that I will isn't going to make it happen either.
Neither is not wanting something to be true make it false.

This is the perfect argument for the objectivity of truth.
Truth is from without. We simply conform to it or we live lives of illusion.