1. S. Korea
    Moves
    28 May '18 03:58
    Sure, the rise of atheism has risen a lot. However, Rodney Stark and others have pointed out that belief in other supernatural things has increased quite proportionally to the decrease in Christianity. Places like Norway have a significant amount of atheists, but also a lot of people who have increased interest in the supernatural, wicca, etc., and there is certainly a feeling of an increase of political extremism.

Ersatz religion abounds.

Some of the factors, I think:
    - Secularized education that teaches materialism as truth.
    - Hyper-egalitarianism that stands in direct opposition to Biblical norms and truths.
    - The denuding of national identity specifically and the 'West' in general.
    - Atomization.
    - The constant, general degradation of everything as we move towards the end times.

Of course, I do have to stress that elements of the things I've listed would only be persuasive to Christians (particularly the last one), and that the other things are also disputable. But yeah, it is a fun discussion topic.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '18 04:13
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    The constant, general degradation of everything as we move towards the end times.
    "Everything"?
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 May '18 06:31
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    But, what I'm trying to discern is this: Is it due to his outstanding preparation methods or due to his raw materials?
    Probably a combination of the two. I honestly don't know how he weaves his magic.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    28 May '18 07:07
    Originally posted by @fmf
    "Everything"?
    Well, not technology, obviously, and some other things that exist independent of the realm of individual morality and spiritual health.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '18 07:141 edit
    Well, not technology, obviously, and some other things that exist independent of the realm of individual morality and spiritual health.
    So "everything" has undergone "general degradation" except technology and "some other things"?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 May '18 09:18
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    A recent global survey conducted by National Geographic shows that the worlds fastest growing religion is not Islam or Christianity, but no religion at all – atheism.

The study refers to atheists as “religious nones” or people who do not follow or identify with any religion. According to the results, atheism is now the second largest religious af ...[text shortened]... https://hackspirit.com/new-study-reveals-worlds-fastest-growing-religion-not-christianity-islam/
    <<The study refers to atheists as “religious nones” or people who do not follow or identify with any religion.>>

This is very misleading. One can believe in God and not follow or identify with any religion. I did for most of my life.

Atheism is not, “I don’t follow or identify with any religion.”

Atheism is, “I don’t believe God exists” or “God does not exist.”
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    29 May '18 02:17
    So "everything" has undergone "general degradation" except technology and "some other things"?
    Yes.

Of course, now you could say something like "Trees haven't undergone general degradation..."

And then, AH-HA! You got me.

But, as far as the topic goes, yes -- everything is degrading.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 May '18 02:47
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    <<The study refers to atheists as “religious nones” or people who do not follow or identify with any religion.>>

This is very misleading. One can believe in God and not follow or identify with any religion. I did for most of my life.

Atheism is not, “I don’t follow or identify with any religion.”

Atheism is, “I don’t believe God exists” or “God does not exist.”
    It’s good the title of this thread includes a question mark because the article on which it’s based is extremely misleading.

Bad!
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '18 02:55
    FMF: So "everything" has undergone "general degradation" except technology and "some other things"?

Yes. Of course, now you could say something like "Trees haven't undergone general degradation..."
    Why would you imagine I'd say something silly like that when you know what my take on Christian doomsday misanthropy is and you know that I believe that this the best age in which people have ever lived. See Thread 176043 and elsewhere. Why would you think I would talk about the "trees"?
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    29 May '18 03:48
    Why would you imagine I'd say something silly like that when you know what my take on Christian doomsday misanthropy is and you know that I believe that this the best age in which people have ever lived. See Thread 176043 and elsewhere. Why would you think I would talk about the "trees"?
    I don't really know your take on the Christian doomsday stuff. Why do you think I keep track of what you believe so closely?

Sure, I can infer that you would have thought something like that. Is that what you menat?

I think you would do something silly like mentions trees because you are all about derailing things.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '18 03:52
    I think you would do something silly like mentions trees because you are all about derailing things.
    Do you have an example of me saying something like "Trees haven't undergone general degradation" in a discussion about the human condition or theism/atheism? No, you don't. I think the silliness is all yours and it's you who is trying to project it onto the conversation, making it you who is having a go at "derailing things" and not me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree