Atheist Creed

Atheist Creed

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
23 Dec 07

There is no God, Atheo, and Darwin is his prophet and Richard Dawkins who walks beside him.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Dec 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Red Night
There is no God, Atheo, and Darwin is his prophet and Richard Dawkins who walks beside him.
The only people who make atheism out to be a religion are Christians, it seems like.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
23 Dec 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
The only people who make atheism out to be a religion are Christians, it seems like.
I'm not a Christian.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
23 Dec 07

I'm not a Christian.
Of course you are.*

*Note: I define "Christian" as "somebody who has a set of beliefs".

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
23 Dec 07

Originally posted by bbarr
Of course you are.*

*Note: I define "Christian" as "somebody who has a set of beliefs".
That would make everyone a Christian.

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
23 Dec 07

That would make everyone a Christian.

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.
Right, so I guess we should try to hew to the actual meanings of terms. Eureka!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Dec 07

I'm not a Christian.
Ooops.

Question in three parts for you: Is/was Jesus God, Christ, and/or the Messiah?

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
23 Dec 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Ooops.

Question in three parts for you: Is/was Jesus God, Christ, and/or the Messiah?
Was jesus a real person or a composite figure?

Either way I think he was a teacher or what we sometimes call a prophet.

I believe that the evolution of christianity substantially altered his/their original message.

I also believe that Jesus' original message was one of tolerance and inclusion. In that way, I may be more of a Christian than many devout christioans who would call me heretic.

Also, I do not wish to reject any religion or belief system.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
23 Dec 07

I'm sure the White Supremacists are overjoyed.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Dec 07

By taking such a stance you are essentially rejecting the vast majority of belief systems (as most of them require you to reject all others) and you are also rejected by the vast majority of their followers.

TD8

Moves
23 Dec 07

If there is any type of atheist creed (which there isn't) it would be something like this: God doesn't exist, so let's get really smart qualified people to make laws which practically govern our lives.

Thats about it. Only religious people see atheism in religious terms.

S

Moves
23 Dec 07

Red Night seems obsessed with the idea that atheists are as dogmatic, apologist and faith holding as theists and that this is grounds for accusing them of religious intentions. Alas he fails to really balance each with much scrutiny. He mistakes their generally focused approach to debate for some maniacal fervour, their belief structures for faith structures and their use of science for blind acceptance. Apart from redefining words without explanation his bigger problem is that even if these were the cases, his notion of a godhead being at the forefront of this is still sloppy, all it leads to is that there might be a psychological parallel with theists in the importance of their belief structures. That says nothing about institutionalised religion, nor is it enough to mount an entity such as 'Atheo' upon. Mostly it's half-baked metaphorical parallels being badly used.

c

Moves
23 Dec 07

I'm not a Christian.
If you're not Christian, what, if you don't mind me asking, are you?

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
23 Dec 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Starrman
Red Night seems obsessed with the idea that atheists are as dogmatic, apologist and faith holding as theists and that this is grounds for accusing them of religious intentions. Alas he fails to really balance each with much scrutiny. He mistakes their generally focused approach to debate for some maniacal fervour, their belief structures for faith structu ...[text shortened]... entity such as 'Atheo' upon. Mostly it's half-baked metaphorical parallels being badly used.
I understand that one of the "cool" aspects of your new religion is the rejection of God. But, let's be honest, you are not the first religion to do this...far from it.

I'm sorry that you see me as attacking your "belief" structure. People get very defensive when they feel their religion is under attack.

My goal was to point out that there are fundamental similiarities in all of our religions.

In any event, I embrace your creed like all others.

Peace to you and your new god.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Dec 07
4 edits

The only thing I would say about atheist that is true of just them is
that have nothing/no one to believe in deity wise, and do not like it
the idea of others having something or someone to believe in. Which
is why they spend so much time trying to hide from it or shun it by
getting what others believe out of the public arena.
Kelly