Atheist Creed

Atheist Creed

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TD8

Moves
24 Dec 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Scientology is a cult.

Zen Buddism is a philosophy.

Christianity is a religion.
What makes scientology a cult and not a religion? Likewise, what makes christianity a religion and not a cult?

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
24 Dec 07
1 edit

Originally posted by The Dude 84
What makes scientology a cult and not a religion? Likewise, what makes christianity a religion and not a cult?
Great questions.

The answer, I think, is scottishinnz self-righteous certainty in the efficacy of his own theology.

w

Moves
24 Dec 07
1 edit

All good questions and I think they differ depending on who you ask. As for me, a philosophy is incorporated within every belief system. It is nothing more than a theology of sorts in terms of how one sees themselves as relating to the world. In fact, we all have a philosophy of sorts.

As for the religion/cult quesiton, I have always viewed cults as those movements that glorify a particular organization or personality. In effect, it is the glorification and pursuit of a person or group of people rather than of God. Christians would also be guilty of this if Christ were a mere mortal as we are, however, we view him as God in the flesh. Therefore, our focus is on God and not a flawed personality. On the other hand, there are cults within Christiandom. There are "personalities" out their that are glorified and sought after more than Christ as well as organizations that are treated the same at times. Really the focus should be Christ and Christ alone.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Dec 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
What utter crap.
🙂 We disagree imagine that.
Kelly

d

Moves
24 Dec 07

A cult is a relatively small group of people who operate a relatively large amount of influence.

Done.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
24 Dec 07

The answer, in both cases, is the same. 2000 years and the evolution of communication.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
25 Dec 07

Cults are based around people. In the case of scientology that person is L. Ron Hubbard.

Religions are based around Gods (whether real or fictitious).

Philosophies are based around teachings.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
25 Dec 07

Originally posted by Red Night
Great questions.

The answer, I think, is scottishinnz self-righteous certainty in the efficacy of his own theology.
No. My answers are based on definitions.