1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 01:571 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    its come to my attention that the Aussies have included Xavier Doherty a spinner, an Ashes rookie. apparently he is rather excellent, taking three wickets recently against Sri Lanka, awe man, its gonna be awesome!
    Yes and Steve Smith will be twelth man, being the best fielder in the squad, so should Doherty fail, Smith will be waiting in the wings. (He mas been mentored by Warnie)

Sorry everyone else, I will take this one to sports.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 02:02
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yes and Steve Smith will be twelth man, being the best fielder in the squad, so should Doherty fail, Smith will be waiting in the wings. (He mas been mentored by Warnie)
    peace be upon him (Warney), England have only four bowlers, twas apparently enough for Australia when they had the likes of Warney and MaGrath, but it could prove a factor for England, for certainly Warney and MaGrath were in a class of their own, Australia i think have in Smith an all rounder which might help them, England i don't think do.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 02:03

Sorry everyone else, I will take this one to sports.
    I will take this one to sports.

no way this is spiritual, the Gods of cricket must be petitioned for favour 🙂
  4. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 09:143 edits
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    Kali-yuga (Iron Age)

I can give you more info, but this will answer the question.

We are about 5000 years into this Kali Yuga

Duration - 1,200 demigod years (1000 + 100 sandhya + 100 sandhyamsa)
    or 432,000 human years
    Life span - 100 years (or 50, SB 12.2.11)
    Yuga-dharma - Chanting the Hare Krsna mahamantra (harinama sankirtana)
    Yuga-avatara year of Brahma. The beginning of this kalpa was 2.3 billion years ago (453 mahayugas back).
    None of this makes sense. A year is a year (granted you have calendar year, Julian year, Sidereal year, Draconic year etc), but basically it is defined as the length of time it takes for the Earth to go round the sun. What is this "human years" and "demigod years" nonsense?

What defines a demigod year (which seems to be 360 human years)?

Why has 360 human years (which I assume to be solar years) been defined as a unit of time in itself?

It is clear the Veda was written a long time ago, and all these units weren't precisely defined. It all is completely out of context today and has become a jumbled mess. It is effectively worthless.

EDIT: I also have found where you have copied and pasted your information from:

http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz/encyclopedia/time.htm

Do you *really* understand it yourself?
  5. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 10:04
    Originally posted by lausey
    None of this makes sense. A year is a year (granted you have calendar year, Julian year, Sidereal year, Draconic year etc), but basically it is defined as the length of time it takes for the Earth to go round the sun. What is this "human years" and "demigod years" nonsense?

What defines a demigod year (which seems to be 360 human years)?

Why has 360 hum ...[text shortened]... tp://www.veda.harekrsna.cz/encyclopedia/time.htm

Do you *really* understand it yourself?
    A year is not a year, because its all relative.......dog years are 7 times human years, so demigod years are much much longer, and since Lord Brahma has created this particular universe, we speak in terms of Lord Brahmas time line.

The earth may go around the sun in 1 year, but not all habituated planets do that, where just one planet out of trillions, and the Vedas have a cosmological perspective.

Lets not bother with all this, because its side tracking from the real concerns of becoming devoted to the spiritual life, and go back home to Godhead.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 10:07
    A year is not a year, because its all relative.......dog years are 7 times human years, so demigod years are much much longer, and since Lord Brahma has created this particular universe, we speak in terms of Lord Brahmas time line.

The earth may go around the sun in 1 year, but not all habituated planets do that, where just one planet out of trillions ...[text shortened]... g from the real concerns of becoming devoted to the spiritual life, and go back home to Godhead.
    In my understanding, your a demi-god, which is not a bad thing. But hey, you probably dont agree anyway.
  7. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 10:11

The earth may go around the sun in 1 year, but not all habituated planets do that, where just one planet out of trillions ...[text shortened]... g from the real concerns of becoming devoted to the spiritual life, and go back home to Godhead.
    The point is that all of this is significant, because if any part of it is incorrect, then it will cause doubt of credibility of anything else.

All of what you have said is an argumentum verbosium, and you have fallen for it hook, line and sinker. Just because it sounds impressive from an authority, you just accept it without question.

I suspected that you will use the "dog years" argument, but that is just something that is defined for us to easily comprehend the life span of a dog relative to us. There is really no such thing as a "dog year".

The length of a solar year does not change (not taking account very slight variations), and it is completely meaningless to reference years of planets we know nothing about.
  8. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 22:191 edit
    Originally posted by lausey
    The point is that all of this is significant, because if any part of it is incorrect, then it will cause doubt of credibility of anything else.

All of what you have said is an argumentum verbosium, and you have fallen for it hook, line and sinker. Just because it sounds impressive from an authority, you just accept it without question.

I suspected that ions), and it is completely meaningless to reference years of planets we know nothing about.
    Of course everything has some importance true.....but I only answered the question in the first instance, because someone asked, but I don,t sit all day reading about Lord Brahmas age.

The referencing of demigod years is more interesting than realized, because demigods run this universe.......and most people presume God is doing everything, but God has universal agents called demigods, who are real, and run the affairs of the universe.

Lord Brahma is the Guna Avatar of passion and lives 311 trillion earth years, which is 100 years in demigod time.

What you are doing is asking insincere questions, in the hope of tripping me up, and you do it for your amusement....why don,t you actually get serious and endeavor to learn something.

You are a speck, on a speck called earth, in a speck called a universe amongst zillions of universes, and theres much you are not aware of.

And the main thing that you are not aware of, is that you are an eternal spiritual being, in a bundle of dust called a body.

So you should be making all efforts to understand your spiritual nature, and God, and not worry so much about tripping me up with how old Lord Brahma is.
  9. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 00:22
    why don,t you actually get serious and endeavor to learn something.
    I have learned enough to know what to filter out.
  10. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 01:23
    In my understanding, your a demi-god, which is not a bad thing. But hey, you probably dont agree anyway.
    Iam flattered,l but i am not a demigod.......;but did you know that we all have been demigods in past lives, just as we have all been some type of lower species as well.

You see we are eternal, and eternal is a very long time, and in our eternality, we have taken millions of different bodies (demigod bodies and animal bodies) and the spiritual life, is the only way to end this cycle of birth and death.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 02:271 edit
    .......;but did you know that we all have been demigods in past lives, just as we have all been some type of lower species as well.
    Its true. The last memory of recolection from my previous life was being an ant and looking up and seeing a giant shoe come down. After that everything just went black and the next thing you know here I am posting on RHP. 😵
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 02:30
    Originally posted by whodey
    Its true. The last memory of recolection from my previous life was being an ant and looking up and seeing a giant shoe come down. After that everything just went black and the next thing you know here I am posting on RHP. 😵
    i wonder what incarnation my two rabbits are in ??
  13. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 04:53
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i wonder what incarnation my two rabbits are in ??
    If your a sensitive person, you can actually perceive a personality in your rabbit, but the soul is oblivious to everything, accept its little rabbit life, which it thinks is the all in all. ( the consciousness is covered over )..........the rabbit is not thinking, oh gosh Iam a human in a dam rabbits body,.....no, its thinking I am a rabbit.... (humans don,t exist for the rabbit)
  14. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 11:53
    What you are doing is asking insincere questions, in the hope of tripping me up, and you do it for your amusement
    If you knew what you were talking about and not contradictory, then you wouldn't be able to be tripped up.

My purpose isn't for my amusement. I just don't feel comfortable with people propagating BS.
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    25 Nov '10 14:182 edits
    Of course everything has some importance true.....but I only answered the question in the first instance, because someone asked, but I don,t sit all day reading about Lord Brahmas age.

The referencing of demigod years is more interesting than realized, because demigods run this universe.......and most people presume God is doing everything, but God has ...[text shortened]... iritual nature, and God, and not worry so much about tripping me up with how old Lord Brahma is.
    vishvahetu, what you're not realising is that most people need some well defined notions of what you're talking about before they can take you seriously; and these notions need to be non-contradictory. I don't know with which discipline of the sciences lausey is affiliated but I know that many people with a mathematical inclination need definitions of things. If you state there exists, say, a "bjagob" they like to know what a "bjagob" is; and if you tell them what a "bjagob" is with respect to other terms like, say "huskalunkopash" and "yuppykads" they need to know what these are too; working recursively here all these definitions need to be grounded, eventually, upon concepts which are readily accessible and understandable.

Once you've stated what things mean and what they do, they'll then go off and check they don't contradict with things they know to be true by experiment or observation.

As an example, many christians define their god as being omnipotent and omniscient etc... and created the world roughly 6000 human years ago. These definitions are illustrative enough that we know what they mean; they're not necessarily tenable of course (some are ridiculous) but we can still make sense of them. Moreover, with the assertion the earth is 6000 years old, say, then physicsts/geologists etc.. will come back and say this claim is at odds with scientific data, rigorously tested, suggesting an earth older than 6000 years old, and so they reject the claim on that basis.

You think people are trying to trip you up when they're just trying to get a handle on what you mean; it is you who trips yourself up with answers that don't gel with your other answers or reality.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree