1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 May '15 11:57
    Difficult to post anything in the other spirituality threads at the moment. A lot of full gusto arguments are under way, making it tricky to interject with any insightful and ever so slightly sarcastic observations.

Have therefore created this atheistic refuge of reason and common sense where we can retreat to when we've had our fill of extreme religious beliefs that defy logic and threaten to numb our senses.

Religious folk are welcome here; but in the same way that you might invite the geeky neighbour to your party.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 May '15 12:35
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Difficult to post anything in the other spirituality threads at the moment. A lot of full gusto arguments are under way, making it tricky to interject with any insightful and ever so slightly sarcastic observations.

Have therefore created this atheistic refuge of reason and common sense where we can retreat to when we've had our fill of extreme ...[text shortened]... k are welcome here; but in the same way that you might invite the geeky neighbour to your party.
    REPENT! For the end is near!

😀
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 May '15 12:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    REPENT! For the end is near!

😀
    Yes, Because threatening us totally worked all the other times you tried it.

The end is not near, and I have nothing to repent.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 May '15 12:57
    Originally posted by googlefudge

Despite creating Monty Python and Dr. Who, the Brits apparently are suffering an extreme lack of humor these days. 🙁
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 May '15 13:03
    Despite creating Monty Python and Dr. Who, the Brits apparently are suffering an extreme lack of humor these days. 🙁
    I did appreciate that you were attempting to make a joke.

However given that you actually believe that the end IS near, and that we Do in fact need to repent,
    and frequently point this out... It wasn't actually in any way funny.

I mean seriously, you think that we find the fact that you believe that your god is about to destroy the
    world and kill us all for not sufficiently kissing his ass is funny?

I mean sure it would be, if millions of people such as yourself didn't actually believe it was true.

Next time you try to tell a joke, try one in which you don't threaten your audience with being murdered for
    not being a member of your religion.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 May '15 13:14
    Next time you try to tell a joke, try one in which you don't threaten your audience with being murdered for not being a member of your religion.
    It's not "for not being a member of my religion". It is for blaspheming God.

Which is, and has always been, YOUR choice. Don't come crying to us if you're not willing to pay the price for your sin. We've told you and told you and told you the way. You cannot claim ignorance, or even innocence. Your reject the way, the truth and the life. It's your choice. Don't come crying to us.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    17 May '15 13:47

If I'm not mistaken Suzi believes the end will come in about 50 years from now. Which means we'll still be around to witness it.

Exciting times indeed.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 May '15 13:48
    It's not "for not being a member of my religion". It is for blaspheming God.

Which is, and has always been, YOUR choice. Don't come crying to us if you're not willing to pay the price for your sin. We've told you and told you and told you the way. You cannot claim ignorance, or even innocence. Your reject the way, the truth and the life. It's your choice. Don't come crying to us.
    /me ~ Head desk Impact.

Don't come crying to us if you're not willing to pay the price for your sin. We've told you and told you and told you the way. You cannot claim ignorance, or even innocence. Your reject the way, the truth and the life. It's your choice. Don't come crying to us.

You still really and truly don't get it do you.

I DO NOT BELIEVE, AND HAVE NEVER BELIEVED, THAT A GOD OR GODS EXIST, OR HAVE EVER EXISTED.

I am not the slightest, tiniest, bit worried about going to hell [or any other afterlife] because I do not believe
    that they exist. And have never ever believed that they exist.

I don't care about sin, because sin is a religious concept that only makes sense if you believe in the existence
    of a god. I DON'T BELIEVE IN THE EXISTENCE OF ANY GODS!
    What I do care about is morality, which has nothing whatsoever to do with god/s.

What you don't get is ALL that I [we atheists] see is religious PEOPLE, not gods, telling us that we are going
    to burn in hell [either briefly or for eternity] when we die, or god shows up and ends the world.
    I have no reason whatsoever to believe that what you say is true [and an immensity of reasons to believe it to be false]
    but I/we still have to deal with the fact that YOU believe it.

Can you not for one moment comprehend our point of view? Is that truly beyond you?

There are thousands of religions out their all claiming to have the truth and ALL of them lack any sort of valid evidence
    or justification for doing so. I have no more reason to believe that the god of the bible exists than I have reason to
    believe that Thor or Odin exist. You say that you have 'told us the way'... Well so has every other religion.
    I don't believe them, and I don't believe you.

And I have no rational justification for believing them, and none for believing you either.

So I do not worry about meeting your god, because your god is just as fictional as all the other gods.

I do worry about meeting you, because you apparently believe that I deserve to die in an imminent apocalypse.
    Murdered by the god you claim to worship.

Your 'joke' basically reads as "Hey you all deserve to be murdered and that's going to happen real soon unless you
    kiss my gods ass sufficiently, so drop down and pucker up it's brown-nosing time!".

it's not your imaginary god I worry about. it's you, and people as whacked out as you.
    Who believe that I/we deserve to die.

If we atheists all believed that all you theists deserved to die, wouldn't that freak you out?
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    17 May '15 13:48
    In other words: "Haha, let's point and laugh at religious people! Bunch of idiots. Haha!"
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 May '15 13:53
    I was like away for 20 minutes, slicing up some aubergines (1 cm thick) and my lovely atheist haven has already courted controversy.

Moussaka, moussaka, moussaka
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    17 May '15 14:02
    I was like away for 20 minutes, slicing up some aubergines (1 cm thick) and my lovely atheist haven has already courted controversy.

Moussaka, moussaka, moussaka
    Just some eternal death threats in the name of a non-existing being. Nothing to worry about.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 May '15 14:25
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Just some eternal death threats in the name of a non-existing being. Nothing to worry about.
    Phew.

Why can't Christians just bring a bottle of rioja to the party? Why have they always got to bring eternal death threats in the name of a non-existing being?

And after all the trouble i've gone to with the vegetarian mousakka. Even Dasa could eat something. (If he can get passed the bouncers).
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    17 May '15 14:39
    Phew.

Why can't Christians just bring a bottle of rioja to the party? Why have they always got to bring eternal death threats in the name of a non-existing being?

And after all the trouble i've gone to with the vegetarian mousakka. Even Dasa could eat something. (If he can get passed the bouncers).
    Presumably because they think that those death threats will lure us into their camp, thereby streghtening their own beliefs.

It's been pointed out that that really isn't working, but they don't seem to be able to come up with anything better.

Perhaps rioja might be a good idea. Logic and reason usually do take a pounding when alcohol comes into play.

Also, Suzi might start to think I'm handsome and muscular.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 May '15 14:46
    Originally posted by Great King Rat

Also, Suzi might start to think I'm handsome and muscular.[/b]
    Only if she mistook you for me.

🙂
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 May '15 14:52

Have therefore created this atheistic refuge of reason and common sense where we can retreat to when we've had our fill of extreme ...[text shortened]... k are welcome here; but in the same way that you might invite the geeky neighbour to your party.
    Gee its only a matter of time before you spangles start praising the God of science, offering up incense to an effigy of Darwin and start quoting from your Holy book, - The God delusion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree