Atheists Haven (Not heaven).

Atheists Haven (Not heaven).

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
19 May 15
1 edit

Originally posted by googlefudge
Atheists are related by belief systems and books like religions are.

There are all kinds of belief systems. Some of which are religions.

Secular Humanism is one such belief system that is not a religion and includes no gods.

However only a minority of atheists are Secular Humanists.

Atheists have all kinds of belief systems but ...[text shortened]... urring', if that's the term we're going to use, the content of your post and not your character.
Yes, and you still sound like a lawyer to me. I'm assuming you're not getting paid for this...

Also you say that atheism is in no way like a religion, but some religions would vehemently argue that other religious have absolutley no validity. Like say a Christian may say that Paganism is not a religion but occultism (or whatever).
(Of course the Christians arguements probably make no difference to the pagan, just like atheists, especially when in that preachy over-kill,humourless mode, make no difference to their audiences' views)

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
19 May 15
1 edit

Originally posted by DeepThought
I took a look in the Oxford Online dictionary, as it helps to have a clear definition. By the definition they gave there atheism is definitely not a religion, except in the sense 1.2, but that is not what we are talking about:[quote] [mass noun]
1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods: ideas abo ...[text shortened]... ect such a notion. I think it's reasonable to call it a religious belief albeit a negative one.
I wouldn't put Buddhism like that at all.
The only "controlling power" that is observed is one's own 'tendencies to manipulate', and what not.

The middle way , which Buddhism harps on about, seems to be about putting balance in all things. Having a balanced relationship with all 'things' , implies neither a controlling ('dominant' ) nor submissive relationship with the 'cosmos'.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
19 May 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
No crack whores or smack i'm afraid. But we do have a buffet.
Have I desecrated your haven with my silly question? 🙂

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
19 May 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
I think you are confusing individual atheists with 'atheism'. When you made that generalization, you clearly did not consider all the atheists in the world, but only a tiny subset you may have met in real life or online. Your mistake is to think their behavior is a general property of atheists.
Secondly, I do not think narcissistic tendencies are what d ...[text shortened]... hat definition of religion, and many communists are atheists. But call it communism not atheism.
Yes, I tried later to separate atheism and those that follow atheism, or individual atheists.

It should be clear that I was trying to bring attention to similarities between atheists and religionists, and not saying that atheism is a religion. (I agreed with googlefudge there, if you recall).

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
19 May 15

Originally posted by karoly aczel
The only "controlling power" that is observed is one's own 'tendencies to manipulate', and what not.

The middle way , which Buddhism harps on about, seems to be about putting balance in all things. Having a balanced relationship with all 'things' , implies neither a controlling ('dominant' ) nor submissive relationship with the 'cosmos'.
My extremely limited understanding of Buddhism is that the objective is to avoid being reborn, to achieve nothingness. In their belief system we are all subject to the cycle of birth, death, and rebirth, and therefore suffering throughout each cycle. This cycle is the controlling power to which I referred. What you are talking about is, I think, one of the mechanisms for achieving this.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 May 15

Yes, I tried later to separate atheism and those that follow atheism, or individual atheists.

It should be clear that I was trying to bring attention to similarities between atheists and religionists, and not saying that atheism is a religion. (I agreed with googlefudge there, if you recall).
Will you at least admit that atheists believe in Evolutionism and Humanism?

Moves
20 May 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
He isn't an atheist [at least I don't think he is from memory], so I don't know why you are asking him
to 'admit' stuff about atheism.

And ignoring for a moment the stupidity in talking about 'evolutionism' [sigh]...

By no means all atheists accept or understand evolution.

And by no means are all [or even I suspect a majority of] atheists humanists.

So it is, as ever, incorrect to claim that all atheists believe anything [in common].

As ever, the only commonality of belief guaranteed between all atheists is a lack of belief in god/s.

We do not as a group have any other required beliefs, or beliefs held universally in common.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
20 May 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
That depends on the atheist. They may not believe in anything very much at all.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 May 15

That depends on the atheist. They may not believe in anything very much at all.
I knew you would have no idea, so that is one of the reasons i did not address that question to you. 😏

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
20 May 15
1 edit

Have I desecrated your haven with my silly question? 🙂
No, but i find your lack of a cravat highly offensive.

Atheists may not believe in God, but we do have a dress code.

😞

Edit: I really shouldn't post in the morning 'pre-coffee.'

Cape Town

Moves
20 May 15

So why bring attention to similarities if you are not claiming atheism is a religion? You could just as well have said we are all human. Of course we have similarities. No, you clearly wanted to argue that atheists behave in ways that are religious. Your error is to group atheists together and think atheism is what defines them or their behavior. Even in your post above you say 'those that follow atheism'. There is no religion of atheism to follow. It is a clear misunderstanding on your part of what atheism is. Its as ridiculous as saying 'those that follow non-Buddhism'.
Even if some, or even all, atheists behave religiously, you could not call their religious atheism. And you wouldn't even group them all into one religion. Just as you can't call all non-Buddhists members of a single non-Buddhist religion even if they were to behave religiously.

Cape Town

Moves
20 May 15

Buddhism covers a wide range of beliefs and practices. You would do well to specify a particular sect or 'denomination'.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 May 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
No, but i find your lack of a cravat highly offensive.

Atheists may not believe in God, but we do have a dress code.

😞

Edit: I really shouldn't post in the morning 'pre-coffee.'
Does that include a skirt when you are before your Queen?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
21 May 15

My extremely limited understanding of Buddhism is that the objective is to avoid being reborn, to achieve nothingness. In their belief system we are all subject to the cycle of birth, death, and rebirth, and therefore suffering throughout each cycle. This cycle is the controlling power to which I referred. What you are talking about is, I think, one of the mechanisms for achieving this.
Yes there are so many ways of talking about it, different words, etc.

I've found reading about Buddhism from different sources ie. Korean,Japanese,etc. is useful in not sounding dogmatic and understanding that everyone's interpretation of the universe is not going to be the same. And that that's a good thing

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
21 May 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
Buddhism covers a wide range of beliefs and practices. You would do well to specify a particular sect or 'denomination'.
I'm not a Buddhist.

I just like the flavour