Atheists Haven (Not heaven).

Atheists Haven (Not heaven).

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
19 May 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
Better not let GF see this post.

Edit: Oops, too late.
Very funny.

And yet, not a demonstration that I'm actually wrong.

It's of course totally not ok to correct people when they post something false about you or your beliefs.

You would never ever do that.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 May 15

Originally posted by googlefudge
Very funny.

And yet, not a demonstration that I'm actually wrong.

It's of course totally not ok to correct people when they post something false about you or your beliefs.

You would never ever do that.
Ahhhh.

I'm glad to see that some sarcasm is not totally lost on you.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 May 15
1 edit

A ruling that your link declares incoherent.

The law also can declare a corporation to be a person.

That doesn't mean that a corporation is actually a person.
However, a corporation consists of persons. There can be no corporation that exclude persons. 😏

Moves
19 May 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
However, a corporation consists of persons. There can be no corporation that exclude persons. 😏
Both irrelevant and untrue.

There are in fact corporations which have no people in them.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 May 15

Both irrelevant and untrue.

There are in fact corporations which have no people in them.
Then they are fake corporations. 😏

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
19 May 15

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Regarding atheism, I reckon it's quite like a religion (I am not the first to note this). I'm not saying that they are conciously religious, however, they do exibit the same narcassistic tendencies as religions like Christianity do.
And like Christians, there are good ones too who unfortuanately get lumped in with the rest . But really , no one likes ...[text shortened]... ow it too.

So let me just stop here and ask : Is Atheism a religion? ( albeit unconciously?)
I took a look in the Oxford Online dictionary, as it helps to have a clear definition. By the definition they gave there atheism is definitely not a religion, except in the sense 1.2, but that is not what we are talking about:
[mass noun]
1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods: ideas about the relationship between science and religion.

1.1 [count noun] A particular system of faith and worship: the world’s great religions
More example sentences.

1.2 [count noun] A pursuit or interest followed with great devotion: consumerism is the new religion.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/religion
Atheistic variants of Buddhism and Hinduism are not excluded by this definition as they do involve a superhuman controlling power - in the case of Buddhism the Wheel of Life - they just do not involve a God or gods. Atheists, by and large, would reject such a notion. I think it's reasonable to call it a religious belief albeit a negative one.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
19 May 15

Originally posted by vivify
Hey. How can you yourself a decent atheist? I came to this party expecting crack, whores, crackwhores, and Piñatas full of smack.

Don't you know atheists can't be decent people?
No crack whores or smack i'm afraid. But we do have a buffet.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 May 15
2 edits

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
No crack whores or smack i'm afraid. But we do have a buffet.
Then what is the use of being atheist? No Heaven or Hell? From primordial slime you are and to slime thou shall return. 😏

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
19 May 15

Then what is the use of being atheist? No Heaven or Hell? From primordial slime you are and to slime thou shall return. 😏
You and me both brother. (Though i think you have already begun with the slime regression).

Moves
19 May 15

Originally posted by DeepThought
I think it's reasonable to call it a religious belief albeit a negative one.
I don't concur. [I know, total shocker]

Not least because being an atheist requires no belief.
You cannot term "lacking a belief in gods" a belief of any kind, let alone a religious one.

I'm not even sure you can say it's a religious position or stance, because you can be a
religious atheist, or a secular non-religious atheist.

It is what it is, a position with respect to the belief in the existence of god/s.

It's not a religion, it's not a belief system, it's not even a religious position.

It's a position on theism.

Moves
19 May 15

Again, making the mistake of viewing atheism as a belief system.

I value truth.

I don't think that it's true that god/s exist, and I do think that it's not-true that god/s exist.

Thus I don't believe in god/s and therefore I am an atheist.

It doesn't matter if that is useful, or pleasant, or fun. Truth doesn't have to be any of
those things. It just has to be correct.

Cape Town

Moves
19 May 15

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Regarding atheism, I reckon it's quite like a religion (I am not the first to note this). I'm not saying that they are conciously religious, however, they do exibit the same narcassistic tendencies as religions like Christianity do.
I think you are confusing individual atheists with 'atheism'. When you made that generalization, you clearly did not consider all the atheists in the world, but only a tiny subset you may have met in real life or online. Your mistake is to think their behavior is a general property of atheists.
Secondly, I do not think narcissistic tendencies are what defines religion.

Even if you use the looser definition of 'religion' that DeepThought quoted, you will find some atheists are religious, but it would be wrong to label their religion 'atheism'. Rather label it with whatever they are religious about. I would say that communism falls well withing that definition of religion, and many communists are atheists. But call it communism not atheism.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 May 15

Again, making the mistake of viewing atheism as a belief system.

I value truth.

I don't think that it's true that god/s exist, and I do think that it's not-true that god/s exist.

Thus I don't believe in god/s and therefore I am an atheist.

It doesn't matter if that is useful, or pleasant, or fun. Truth doesn't have to be any of
those things. It just has to be correct.
There is no truth without God, because God created the laws that govern truth. There is One who is quoted as saying, "I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life." Do you know who that was?

w

Moves
19 May 15

Yes, Because threatening us totally worked all the other times you tried it.

The end is not near, and I have nothing to repent.
The end as near as your life being over.

That is pretty damn near if you ask me.

As for repenting, some think they never have done anything wrong in life, or if they have, they have nothing to apologize for. I know, I've met lots of them. They are swell folks to be around. 😵

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
19 May 15

You asked the question "is atheism a religion?"

If you didn't want that question answered why did you ask it?
I asked it to stimulate debate