1. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    03 May '13 21:04
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    LOL, perhaps you would like to tell the forum what original ideas you have had?
    Original ideas are precious and rare,but I think you will find that science has,and continues to offer new ideas,unlike religion whose purpose in my opinion is to control and imprison the intellect.
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    03 May '13 21:041 edit
    Can you explain why atheists on this forum with the exception of one or two, know next to nothing about the most widely translated, widely distributed book in the history of humanity?
    Top eleven best selling books of all time:

The Bible
    Quotations from Chairman Mao
    Al-Quran
    Xinhua Zidian
    A Tale of Two Cities
    Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince)
    Book of Mormon
    The Lord of the Rings
    The Hobbit
    Hong lou meng (Dream of the Red Chamber)
    And Then There Were None

What have they all got in common?
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    03 May '13 21:06
    So if he has not originated anything, he is simply content to assimilate what others have produced.
    How is this relevant?
  4. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 May '13 21:34
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Top eleven best selling books of all time:

The Bible
    Quotations from Chairman Mao
    Al-Quran
    Xinhua Zidian
    A Tale of Two Cities
    Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince)
    Book of Mormon
    The Lord of the Rings
    The Hobbit
    Hong lou meng (Dream of the Red Chamber)
    And Then There Were None

What have they all got in common?
    They are all works of fiction?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 May '13 21:42
    Can you explain why atheists on this forum with the exception of one or two, know next to nothing about the most widely translated, widely distributed book in the history of humanity?
    I generally find the atheists are more knowledgeable about it than the theists on this forum. They can't quote it verse for verse and may not even have read it very much, but they know more about who wrote it and how accurate it is etc than most theists seem to. I for one am not particularly knowledgeable but I am often amazed by the fact that there are theists who know far less than I do. One would think that if one genuinely believed it was the word of God they would read it a lot more.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 May '13 21:57
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Thank God being a follower of Christ is about a relationship and not a religion.
    Relationship,® not religion™

FIX'D
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    03 May '13 22:01
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I guess its partly because atheists are on average, better educated and have higher IQs.
    A little modesty may be in order, did anybody ever tell you self praise doesn't count? Seems to me if you need to tell others how smart you are, you may not be what you think. IMO
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 May '13 00:38
    Originally posted by Penguin
    They are all works of fiction?
    Chairman Mao didn't really say all those quotations, then?

Who did?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 May '13 07:10
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    A little modesty may be in order, did anybody ever tell you self praise doesn't count? Seems to me if you need to tell others how smart you are, you may not be what you think. IMO
    I clearly said 'on average'. I fully admit that there are very high IQ theists and very low IQ atheists. I also said nothing about being smart, I said 'IQ'.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 May '13 08:59
    I generally find the atheists are more knowledgeable about it than the theists on this forum. They can't quote it verse for verse and may not even have read it very much, but they know more about who wrote it and how accurate it is etc than most theists seem to. I for one am not particularly knowledgeable but I am often amazed by the fact that there are t ...[text shortened]... ould think that if one genuinely believed it was the word of God they would read it a lot more.
    How does not being able to quote the Holy Bible verse for verse or being able to understand what is written in it to present an accurate accounting of what happened or its purpose makes the atheists more knowledgeable?
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    04 May '13 12:31
    I clearly said 'on average'. I fully admit that there are very high IQ theists and very low IQ atheists. I also said nothing about being smart, I said 'IQ'.
    Being 'smart', having a 'high 'iq' are similar terms in most people's mind and mean the same thing. For me, people that have to point out how smart they are or how smart the class of people they adhere to are, are missing and important human charateristic, humility.

A few months a go an atheist poster was speaking of his sadness or displeasure that there were 3 million or so people smarter than him in the world, what arrogance! I have to be honest, at first I was irritated but afterwards had pity for the fella, because I believed him to be wise in his own eyes and that is a sad place to be.
  12. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    04 May '13 12:41
    Being 'smart', having a 'high 'iq' are similar terms in most people's mind and mean the same thing. For me, people that have to point out how smart they are or how smart the class of people they adhere to are, are missing and important human charateristic, humility.

A few months a go an atheist poster was speaking of his sadness or displeasure that there ...[text shortened]... he fella, because I believed him to be wise in his own eyes and that is a sad place to be.
    Too much humility can be destructive,self confidence is important.It's all a question of balance.
  13. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    04 May '13 13:41
    Originally posted by OdBod
    Too much humility can be destructive,self confidence is important.It's all a question of balance.
    I agree 100%.
  14. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    04 May '13 15:45
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    How does not being able to quote the Holy Bible verse for verse or being able to understand what is written in it to present an accurate accounting of what happened or its purpose makes the atheists more knowledgeable?
    You'd have to have an IQ at least as high as an average atheist to understand the relevance.

In other words, you'll never understand. Your posts are further proof of this.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 May '13 16:51
    And for me, people who have to point out the lack of humility in others (merely because they don't like the argument being made) are also somewhat lacking.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree