1. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    04 May '13 19:26
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And for me, people who have to point out the lack of humility in others (merely because they don't like the argument being made) are also somewhat lacking.
    It was more of the arrogance I was commenting on than the lack of humility but whatever, matters very little to me anyhow. I think atheists don't perceive how they come across sometimes, perhaps they don't care I dunno... seems to me there is a common attitude typical with athesim and how they communicte with those of differing opinions, it's not very flattering.

As far as the thread, it is not a matter of like or dislike, have no thoughts one way or another. Lacking? I lack in many ways, but I am very comfortable in my own skin and don't feel the need to participate in the dance of the peacock and lord it over others.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 May '13 20:18
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    It was more of the arrogance I was commenting on than the lack of humility but whatever, matters very little to me anyhow. I think atheists don't perceive how they come across sometimes, perhaps they don't care I dunno... seems to me there is a common attitude typical with athesim and how they communicte with those of differing opinions, it's not very flatt ...[text shortened]... and don't feel the need to participate in the dance of the peacock and lord it over others.
    Bravo.
  3. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    04 May '13 20:47
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Bravo.
    I like your little picture of super girl ,quite ironic given the conversation 🙂
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 May '13 20:542 edits
    It was more of the arrogance I was commenting on than the lack of humility but whatever, matters very little to me anyhow.
    And I was pointing out that your real reason for saying it was that you could not address my actual points, so you chose to attack my person.

I think atheists don't perceive how they come across sometimes, perhaps they don't care I dunno... seems to me there is a common attitude typical with athesim and how they communicte with those of differing opinions, it's not very flattering.
    And you think you are an exception? Calling me arrogant is flattering? As I pointed out, pointing at other peoples flaws is as flawed as pointing to ones own highlights, if not more so.

I lack in many ways, but I am very comfortable in my own skin and don't feel the need to participate in the dance of the peacock and lord it over others.
    It seems to me that you were trying to 'lord it over others' by attempting to point out what you see as flaws in their personalities.

This reminds me of the irony of people going around quoting Jesus and telling other people to take the log out of their eyes. Its a catch 22, you cannot criticise other people for being critical.
  5. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    05 May '13 01:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And I was pointing out that your real reason for saying it was that you could not address my actual ... [edit]... for being critical.
    And I was pointing out that your real reason for saying it was that you could not address my actual points, so you chose to attack my person.

Sorry TH, if you felt a personal attack, I was and am referring to the 'general' attitudes of atheists and some of the comments they make. There is nothing personal here I assure you, I don't even know you. My 'real' reason, has been stated, nothing veiled here.

And you think you are an exception? Calling me arrogant is flattering? As I pointed out, pointing at other peoples flaws is as flawed as pointing to ones own highlights, if not more so.

Exception... Don't think of myself in any such way, quite the opposite actually. Again, I am speaking to a general attitude of atheists from what I have seen, nothing personal I assure you as I have already indicated.

It seems to me that you were trying to 'lord it over others' by attempting to point out what you see as flaws in their personalities.

Not so.

This reminds me of the irony of people going around quoting Jesus and telling other people to take the log out of their eyes. Its a catch 22, you cannot criticise other people for being critical.

What you are referring to here is judging, I have judged no one. I have only pointed out the attitude that I have seen not only in something you said but what others have said as well, it seems to be common with atheists, not all but some.
  6. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    05 May '13 13:36
    It was more of the arrogance I was commenting on than the lack of humility but whatever, matters very little to me anyhow. I think atheists don't perceive how they come across sometimes, perhaps they don't care I dunno... seems to me there is a common attitude typical with athesim and how they communicte with those of differing opinions, it's not very flatt ...[text shortened]... and don't feel the need to participate in the dance of the peacock and lord it over others.
    All of that could refer to theists, particularly those that believe in one particular version of the biblical sky fairy.

If the biblical sky fairy is the one true god why are there so many versions of it? You'd think such a being would ensure that all his followers were at least singing from the same hymn sheet.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 May '13 14:51
    Originally posted by Kepler
    All of that could refer to theists, particularly those that believe in one particular version of the biblical sky fairy.

If the biblical sky fairy is the one true god why are there so many versions of it? You'd think such a being would ensure that all his followers were at least singing from the same hymn sheet.
    The biblical sky fairy gave us free will so that we can sing any hymn we can make up. However, he does not like all hymns. So if we wish to please the biblical sky fairy, we must find a hymn that he likes and sing that one. And I think it will contain the words:

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Glory be to God! Holy! Holy! Holy!

The Instructor
  8. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    05 May '13 15:15
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The biblical sky fairy gave us free will so that we can sing any hymn we can make up. However, he does not like all hymns. So if we wish to please the biblical sky fairy, we must find a hymn that he likes and sing that one. And I think it will contain the words:

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Glory be to God! Holy! Holy! Holy!

The Instructor
    It doesn't help those outside to decide to enter if none of you believers can agree on who or what it is you believe.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 May '13 16:05
    Sorry TH, if you felt a personal attack, I was and am referring to the 'general' attitudes of atheists and some of the comments they make. There is nothing personal here I assure you, I don't even know you.
    It was a direct reply to my post essentially accusing me of lacking humility.

Exception... Don't think of myself in any such way, quite the opposite actually. Again, I am speaking to a general attitude of atheists from what I have seen, nothing personal I assure you as I have already indicated.
    Nevertheless by pointing out flaws in atheists as a group that you do not belong to, you are essentially demonstrating your lack of humility, the very thing you accuse atheists of.

What you are referring to here is judging, I have judged no one.
    You most definitely have.

I have only pointed out the attitude that I have seen not only in something you said but what others have said as well, it seems to be common with atheists, not all but some.
    And in pointing it out, you were judging.
  10. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    05 May '13 17:45
    Religious people should have more humility than atheists,because they accept being inferior to a god or gods.This might be self destructive for them however,in evolutionary terms they may become the prey of more assertive organisms .🙂
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 May '13 18:16
    It doesn't help those outside to decide to enter if none of you believers can agree on who or what it is you believe.
    The true believers believe on our great God and Savior the Lord Jesus the Christ. We trust him to deliver us from evil and evil-lution too.
  12. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    05 May '13 18:28
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The true believers believe on our great God and Savior the Lord Jesus the Christ. We trust him to deliver us from evil and evil-lution too.
    All other believers say the same though. Why should I believe you and not my friend Said?
  13. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    05 May '13 18:39
    Originally posted by OdBod
    Religious people should have more humility than atheists,because they accept being inferior to a god or gods.This might be self destructive for them however,in evolutionary terms they may become the prey of more assertive organisms .🙂
    😕
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 May '13 19:22
    All other believers say the same though. Why should I believe you and not my friend Said?
    Believe your friend then, if you think he knows.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 May '13 19:25
    Originally posted by sonship
    Woodypusher, tell me -

How come a really intelligent person like Albert Einstien was not able to figure out how to remain faithful to his first wife ?
    What a straw man. Nice distraction but no cigar. Faithfulness to ones spouse has nothing to do with the OP.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree