1. Standard memberGhettosanta
    1,000 Games Waiting
    Sydney,NSW,Australia
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 11:14
    Are you atheist (wondering if it would have anything to do with chess 😡 ) and also, if you are, since when, and what religion are your parents.

I am atheist and have been since i could remember. My parents are both hindu.
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 11:48
    Originally posted by Ghettosanta
    Are you atheist (wondering if it would have anything to do with chess 😡 ) and also, if you are, since when, and what religion are your parents.

I am atheist and have been since i could remember. My parents are both hindu.
    My parents are Christians, my father stronger than my mother. I saw through it at a very early age.
  3. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 15:00
    My parents are both Christians, I asked really annoying questions in Sunday School from as young as 6 or 7 years old, I'd say I actually really became an atheist around age 12 or 13.
  4. CA, USA
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 15:11
    I was raised Christian too, and had simular problems with questions at an early age. I caved to the pressure and was baptised at about 12-13.
    Was never any good at it.

I'm a failed Christian Skeptic.

Never met a real strong atheist that could support an argument for it.
    Most are weak atheists or agnostic.
  5. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 16:27
    Originally posted by jammer
    I was raised Christian too, and had simular problems with questions at an early age. I caved to the pressure and was baptised at about 12-13.
    Was never any good at it.

I'm a failed Christian Skeptic.

Never met a real strong atheist that could support an argument for it.
    Most are weak atheists or agnostic.
    I don't care if I convince other people of strong atheism, but my general arguement/justification is just parsimony/occam's razor. Obviously you can't "prove" that there is no God, I just find that you can explain everything in the world without there needing to be one, and the whole concept of God seems ridiculous to me, so I'm 99.9% sure that there is not a God, although I obviously can't present you with any kind of proof.

I think of God like believing that all the animals have long philsophical debates when no one is around, or that aliens abducted Elvis and are keeping him alive for use in breeding experiments. I can't prove that these things are not true, but they seem highly unlikely, silly, and there is no reason to believe them, other than that both ideas can probably be found in works of fiction. There is no evidence for either belief, and they are not needed to support any observation we can make, so although I cannot prove them untrue, I am quite confident in my opinion that they are.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 16:34
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    I don't care if I convince other people of strong atheism, but my general arguement/justification is just parsimony/occam's razor. Obviously you can't "prove" that there is no God, I just find that you can explain everything in the world without there needing to be one, and the whole concept of God seems ridiculous to me, so I'm 99.9% sure that there ...[text shortened]... o although I cannot prove them untrue, I am quite confident in my opinion that they are.
    I just find that you can explain everything in the world without there needing to be one...
    The problem with such responses is they inevitably rely on one of two scenarios:
    1. nature is granted God-like attributes and/or powers;
    2. undefinable occurence(s) are attributed with the same.

Summary: there is just no escaping a God-like person.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 16:41
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]I just find that you can explain everything in the world without there needing to be one...
    The problem with such responses is they inevitably rely on one of two scenarios:

Summary: there is just no escaping a God-like person.[/b]
    So true, and when confronted with that, it is a topic to be avoided.
    Kelly
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 16:42
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    So true, and when confronted with that, it is a topic to be avoided.
    Kelly
    Shhh: you'll scare the "atheists" into objective thinking with such challenges!
  9. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 16:46
    [b]I just find that you can explain everything in the world without there needing to be one...

God-like person implies intent and reason behind the universe, why do we need that?
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 17:01
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    God-like person implies intent and reason behind the universe, why do we need that?
    You have a first cause in mind that speaks about how it all began without addressing things that look more like God than not?
    Kelly
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 17:02
    😴
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 17:36
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    Another problem with the phrase 'God-like Person' is the implication of a hierarchy of god's. For instance, suppose some highly evolved person with god-like powers comes down to earth and annouces itself as god, not just any god but THE Judao/Christian/Muslim God.
    It commences healing the sick, burning the unjust on the spot, etc.,
    But this dude is just on the lower rung of godliness. It seems to me all those religious groups would have no choice but to accept this individual as THE god, thus feeding right into it's plans.
  13. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 18:19
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You have a first cause in mind that speaks about how it all began without addressing things that look more like God than not?
    Kelly
    Such as?
  14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 18:231 edit
    I just find that you can explain everything in the world without there needing to be one...

I'd wager this is a property bestowed upon nature by those who take the existence of God to be a given
    2. undefinable occurence(s) are attributed with the same. Such attribution is neither necessary nor justified among those who seek to define them

Summary: there is just no escaping a God-like person. There is!
  15. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 19:46

I do not grant nature God-like attributes or powers, or any kind of "powers" at all. Nature is just a concept, not an entity.

I have no idea what you mean by undefinable occurences, although I suppose you are unable to define itπŸ˜•

I wasn't trying to start an argument about this, I was just explaining my beliefs (or lack thereof).

Let's keep this thread on topic, about the parents of people who grew up to be atheists, and maybe their history. If you want to argue with me about whether or not atheism is a logically viable position, start a new thread for it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree