Athiest state

Athiest state

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
04 Oct 10
4 edits

after reading our new Awake article (monthly magazine published by Jehovahs witnesses, peace be upon them for a thousand quadrillion generations) it was brought to my attention that there have been two notable attempts to establish atheist states, perhaps more. The first was Stalinist Russia, officially an atheistic state in which some tens of millions of persons died, and the second was the reign of the Khmer rouge in which 1.5 million Cambodians died in an effort to establish a godless Marxist state. Granted those deaths cannot be attributed directly to Atheism, however they do show that the rule of Atheism does not ensure peace and harmony, indeed we may be warranted in asking, a world without religion, is it an improvement? i invite my atheist friends to comment.

n

Moves
04 Oct 10
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
after reading our new Awake article (monthly magazine published by Jehovahs witnesses, peace be upon them for a thousand quadrillion generations) it was brought to my attention that there have been two notable attempts to establish atheist states, perhaps more. The first was Stalinist Russia, officially an atheistic state in which some tens of millio ...[text shortened]... t the rule of Atheism does not ensure peace and harmony, i invite my atheist friends to comment.
Very poor argument you raise.

Neither Stalinist Russia nor the Khmer Rouge had Athiesim as a core part of the reason for establishing a state.

There are no states at all that ensure peace & harmony - this is beyond their ability.
The kingdom of Bhutan may be one state that does a good job of promoting harmony. Certainly none of the western states does a good job of outwardly displaying the pre-dominant religions based there.

Organised Religion has caused more death than anything else "man-made" on earth so back in your box. And before you answer - l know your new little religion of JW's has not been involved in wars etc.....

rc

Moves
04 Oct 10
3 edits

Originally posted by nook7
Very poor argument you raise.

Neither Stalinist Russia nor the Khmer Rouge had Athiesim as a core part of the reason for establishing a state.

There are no states at all that ensure peace & harmony - this is beyond their ability.
The kingdom of Bhutan may be one state that does a good job of promoting harmony. Certainly none of the western states does a e you answer - l know your new little religion of JW's has not been involved in wars etc.....
no i don't think so, clearly there were efforts in Russia and Cambodia to establish a godless society, i quite forget now just how many churches Stalin levelled to the ground, never the less, that is not the point, nor is it the point of the discussion that both the irreligious and the religious have committed atrocities, the point is and its worth reiterating, an atheist state, would it be an improvement. I therefore reject you assertion of a very poor argument, now address the question if you please, and no slipping an sliding this time! Yes we have not been involved in wars, what that has got to do with an atheist state, i really have no idea.

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
04 Oct 10

no i don't think so, clearly there were efforts in Russia and Cambodia to establish a godless society, i quite forget now just how many churches Stalin levelled to the ground, never the less, that is not the point, nor is it the point of the discussion that both the irreligious and the religious have committed atrocities, the point is and its worth r ...[text shortened]... ry poor argument, now address the question if you please, and no slipping an sliding this time!
I wouldn't agree with *enforcing* an atheist state. You can only have an atheist state if everyone within it naturally becomes atheist.

You can't force people to become atheists.

Attempting to enforce it would only cause bloodshed.

n

Moves
04 Oct 10

Originally posted by lausey
I wouldn't agree with *enforcing* an atheist state. You can only have an atheist state if everyone within it naturally becomes atheist.

i agree with Lausey & to answer you; l see very little difference.

The issue is on the motiviations of the leaders. If they (Religious or not) want to force others then we will have more of what we have seen throughout history.

If a society was establihed that allowed freedom to worship a god/s or not then that would be an improvement on what l have seen.

rc

Moves
04 Oct 10
1 edit

Originally posted by lausey

ok, i understand, do you envisage a time when atheism may be enforced? after all there have been tremendous movement towards secularisation. Please note what Nobel laureate Steven Weinberg stated, 'Anything that we scientists can do to weaken the hold on religion should be done and may in the end be our greatest contribution to civilisation', is it not a view shared by many?

rc

Moves
04 Oct 10
2 edits

Originally posted by nook7
i agree with Lausey & to answer you; l see very little difference.

The issue is on the motiviations of the leaders. If they (Religious or not) want to force others then we will have more of what we have seen throughout history.

If a society was establihed that allowed freedom to worship a god/s or not then that would be an improvement on what l have seen.
its really quite interesting Nook me ol son, you reckon there would be no improvement.

Just by way of interest, i found this little quote,

The Soviet Union and other communist states promoted state atheism and opposed religion, often by violent means. - Solzhenitsyn, Aleksandr I. (2002). The Gulag Archipelago.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
04 Oct 10

after reading our new Awake article (monthly magazine published by Jehovahs witnesses, peace be upon them for a thousand quadrillion generations) it was brought to my attention that there have been two notable attempts to establish atheist states, perhaps more. The first was Stalinist Russia, officially an atheistic state in which some tens of millio ...[text shortened]... asking, a world without religion, is it an improvement? i invite my atheist friends to comment.
Unless you compare with a state which enforces a religion you have no argument.
Lets say 16th Century Spain.

rc

Moves
04 Oct 10
2 edits

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Unless you compare with a state which enforces a religion you have no argument.
Lets say 16th Century Spain.
so you would like to compare sixteenth century Spain with a modern Atheist state simply because the former imposed state religion? Its not about religion v the irreligious, its about whether a purely secular society would be an improvement. I don't think we really need to argue that in the case of sixteenth century Spain, almost anything would have been an improvement. Actually i am not arguing in favour of either, i simply would like to try to ascertain if there are any benefits to adopting a purely secular state. All you have ascertained is that in the case of sixteenth century Spain, yes indeed, it would be an improvement, but so would almost anything.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
04 Oct 10

after reading our new Awake article (monthly magazine published by Jehovahs witnesses, peace be upon them for a thousand quadrillion generations) it was brought to my attention that there have been two notable attempts to establish atheist states, perhaps more. The first was Stalinist Russia, officially an atheistic state in which some tens of millio ...[text shortened]... asking, a world without religion, is it an improvement? i invite my atheist friends to comment.
How many thriving secular states exist?

The problem with those states were that they brutal dictatorships. That means that the state's ideology was forced upon the people and that is never a peaceful affair. Similar things happened with forced conversion in historical religious states.

So I don't think it's the lack of religion that missed, but simply tolerance (in many aspects, including religion).

Cape Town

Moves
04 Oct 10

.... however they do show that the rule of Atheism does not ensure peace and harmony.
I would generally agree. A counter example is sufficient proof that a rule is not absolute. So we know that rule by Atheists (not 'the rule of atheism' as you incorrectly put it) does not ensure peace and harmony. What else is new?

...indeed we may be warranted in asking, a world without religion, is it an improvement?
Sure you may be ask that. However, I doubt the two example states in question will shed any light on the matter.
Atheists generally have nothing in common as a group other than their lack of belief in a god or gods. So using one example of an atheist to make a general claim is invalid unless the claim is specifically tied to that lack of belief in a god or gods. Making claims about Christians in general is much more valid, but equally likely to lead to wrong conclusions.

But what we all should be asking here is what would we do if a world without religion was not an improvement? Is mass delusion an acceptable compromise for the sake of peace? Would you for example support the deliberate promotion of Hinduism for the sake of world peace even though you yourself do not believe in its claims?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
04 Oct 10

ok, i understand, do you envisage a time when atheism may be enforced? after all there have been tremendous movement towards secularisation. Please note what Nobel laureate Steven Weinberg stated, 'Anything that we scientists can do to weaken the hold on religion should be done and may in the end be our greatest contribution to civilisation', is it not a view shared by many?
The quote is clearly not about forceful conversion, but about convincing people through scientific knowledge. You can argue that scientific knowledge would not do that, but I don't think it's fair to relate that to persecution of all religious belief.

rc

Moves
04 Oct 10

Originally posted by Palynka
How many thriving secular states exist?

The problem with those states were that they brutal dictatorships. That means that the state's ideology was forced upon the people and that is never a peaceful affair. Similar things happened with forced conversion in historical religious states.

So I don't think it's the lack of religion that missed, but simply tolerance (in many aspects, including religion).
its a great question, but i do not know how many thriving secular states exist, any idea? however consider Albania, i think was the first to declare itself atheist, but like you say, it was held together by a dictatorship, after it was deposed, the religious and ethnic strife enveloped the entire region. was it a case of atheist state holding religious and ethnic intolerance in check? vewy vewy intwesting Mr Bond!

rc

Moves
04 Oct 10

Originally posted by Palynka
The quote is clearly not about forceful conversion, but about convincing people through scientific knowledge. You can argue that scientific knowledge would not do that, but I don't think it's fair to relate that to persecution of all religious belief.
yes ok, buy we must have recourse to at least a little sensationalising 🙂

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
04 Oct 10

so you would like to compare sixteenth century Spain with a modern Atheist state simply because the former imposed state religion? Its not about religion v the irreligious, its about whether a purely secular society would be an improvement. I don't think we really need to argue that in the case of sixteenth century Spain, almost anything would have ...[text shortened]... sixteenth century Spain, yes indeed, it would be an improvement, but so would almost anything.
A purely secular state? Try France amongst others.

But you started off talking about imposing atheism. All I am saying is that imposing atheism is just as bad as imposing a religion.

How would a state which imposed JW doctrine do?