1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 17:11
    Athlete criticized because of his faith...

NFL Analysts: Tim Tebow Hated Because of His Faith
    By Paul Wilson | October 21, 2011 | 08:13

"Outspoken Christian athlete Tim Tebow, now the starting quarterback for the Denver Broncos, has been widely criticized by many in the media. NFL analysts are starting to admit that criticism, in large part, has been because of his faith.

''Inside the NFL'' analyst and former Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Cris Collinsworth concluded that much of the hatred against Tebow was based on his religious beliefs. Responding to a question from fellow host James 'JB' Brown, Collinsworth showed his disgust for Tebow's treatment: ''It's unbelievable, though, JB, that one of the best kids - just pure kids that's ever come into the NFL - is hated because of his faith, because of his mission work, because of the fact that he wears it on his sleeve, because of the fact that he lives his life that he talks about.''

This isn't the first time the issue has come up. Many sportswriters and fans have mocked Tebow and hoped to see him fail - in large part, his defenders have argued, because of his strong Christian beliefs. Other football analysts are starting to agree with that assessment.

NBCsports.com commentator Jelisa Castrodale argued: “The NFL's other backup-turned-starters don't generate this type of negativity.” And CBS analyst and former 49ers offensive lineman Randy Cross blamed the media for anti-Tebow coverage: ''People, especially the media, root against him because of what he stands for.''

Showtime Sports' Oct. 12 edition of 'Inside the NFL' featured a nearly 5-minute segment on Tebow. Analysts Brown and Collinsworth were joined by former NFL stars Warren Sapp and Phil Simms discussing Tebow's faith - and the controversial reactions to it.

Brown teased the segment: ''This is a guy that you either love to have him or you hate to love him. What is it about him that folks are so polarized?''

Brown and Collinsworth concluded that much of the hatred against Tebow was based on faith. Brown pointed out: ''There's a number of guys who come into the league with a big marquee, fat paychecks, a lot of attention, and folks don't seem to hate them with the same intensity that they hate Tim Tebow.'' Collinsworth concurred with Brown: ''I couldn't agree with you more. And it's kind of a sad commentary, that, you know, if someone is out carousing every night, the Joe Namath thing, or whatever, they're American heroes, and Tim Tebow, who's working in missions in Asia somewhere, is a guy that we're going to vilify.''

Tebow has indeed been vilified for his Christian faith and beliefs. Commentators have taken aim at him because of his religion and pro-life stance. One sportswriter compared Tebow's confidence that he will start in the NFL to blasphemy. 'Daily Show' comedian John Oliver declared: ''I dislike Robert Mugabe. I hate Tim Tebow.''

The vitriol directed against Tebow is how religion and people of faith are often treated in the media, which often seeks to remove any mention of religion from public life entirely, including in sports."

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/paul-wilson/2011/10/21/nfl-analysts-tim-tebow-hated-because-his-faith#ixzz1fm7OlPBC

.......................................................................................

Your impressions, opinions, insights?

gb
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 17:26
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Athlete criticized because of his faith...

"Outspoken Christian athlete Tim Tebow, now the starting quarterback for the Denver Broncos, has been widely criticized by many in the media. NFL analysts are starting to admit that criticism, in large par ...[text shortened]...

gb[/b]
    As an NFL fan I listen to a lot of talk radio, watch espn, watch games every weekend including Broncos games, and so on. I'm not seeing the hate. What I see is a lot of criticism being directed at Tebow not because he is a outspoken Christian but because he is a very unorthodox style Quarterback for the NFL. Many have predicted that he would not succeed in the league because he is not he prototypical NFL pocket passing quarterback and indeed in the long run he may not succeed. All of these so called experts are a bit shocked that he's had the success he's had so far.

What I have not seen or detected is hatred towards him at all let alone because of his Christianity. Everyone seems to really like and admire the kid. Every now and then you'll hear some fan (mostly other Christians) criticize him for being almost in your face about Jesus everytime he gives an interview but hey that is more a case of being annoyed not hatred.

Sorry but this is much ado about nothing. Why do Christians so often have to portray themselves as victims? Is this just part of the psychology of being a Christian?
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 17:322 edits

"Outspoken Christian athlete Tim Tebow, now the starting quarterback for the Denver Broncos, has been widely criticized by many in the media. NFL analysts are starting to admit that criticism, in large par

gb[/b]
    GB, Christians who have understanding don't let those things worry them. We are commanded to stay apart from the world and negative comments about the Christian beliefs and way of life should be like water off a duck's back.

We are strangers on the earth and we wait for a heavenly country as this one will pass away.

Heb 11:13-16 These ... confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned. But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 18:39
    Originally posted by Ullr
    As an NFL fan I listen to a lot of talk radio, watch espn, watch games every weekend including Broncos games, and so on. I'm not seeing the hate. What I see is a lot of criticism being directed at Tebow not because he is a outspoken Christian but because he is a very unorthodox style Quarterback for the NFL. Many have predicted that he would not succeed in t ...[text shortened]... to portray themselves as victims? Is this just part of the psychology of being a Christian?
    Interesting take. perhaps I was wrong to have taken the article at face value.

Thanks.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 18:451 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    GB, Christians who have understanding don't let those things worry them. We are commanded to stay apart from the world and negative comments about the Christian beliefs and way of life should be like water off a duck's back.

We are strangers on the earth and we wait for a heavenly country as this one will pass away.

Heb 11:13-16 These ... confes ...[text shortened]... herefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.
    Well said. My response was simply one of curiosity as to whether the media had now become emboldened

to the extent described. Maybe the media was just mucking around for something sensational, maybe not.
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 18:58
    Well said. My response was simply one of curiosity as to whether the media had now become emboldened

to the extent described. Maybe the media was just mucking around for something sensational, maybe not.
    "Maybe the media was just mucking around for something sensational, maybe not."

Bingo!
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 19:541 edit
    Originally posted by Ullr
    As an NFL fan I listen to a lot of talk radio, watch espn, watch games every weekend including Broncos games, and so on. I'm not seeing the hate. What I see is a lot of criticism being directed at Tebow not because he is a outspoken Christian but because he is a very unorthodox style Quarterback for the NFL. Many have predicted that he would not succeed in t to portray themselves as victims? Is this just part of the psychology of being a Christian?
    As an NFL fan I listen to a lot of talk radio, watch espn, watch games every weekend including Broncos games, and so on. I'm not seeing the hate.

It may depend on where you live as to what you've heard critical of Tebow.

he is a very unorthodox style Quarterback for the NFL. Many have predicted that he would not succeed in the league because he is not he prototypical NFL pocket passing quarterback and indeed in the long run he may not succeed. All of these so called experts are a bit shocked that he's had the success he's had so far.

Yeah, he doesn't know anything about football. If he did he would have won some outrageously prestigious award while in school. Maybe he will show them how it's done. 😛

What I have not seen or detected is hatred towards him at all let alone because of his Christianity. Everyone seems to really like and admire the kid. Every now and then you'll hear some fan (mostly other Christians) criticize him for being almost in your face about Jesus everytime he gives an interview but hey that is more a case of being annoyed not hatred.

Sorry but this is much ado about nothing. Why do Christians so often have to portray themselves as victims? Is this just part of the psychology of being a Christian?

The local news stations and papers have had much negative press coming from his opponents regarding his faith. And I live a few hundred miles away from Denver.

I like how you jab a sword into the body of Christ, then claim we act the victim.

8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 21:10
    Athlete criticized because of his faith...

"Outspoken Christian athlete Tim Tebow, now the starting quarterback for the Denver Broncos, has been widely criticized by many in the media. NFL analysts are starting to admit that criticism, in large part, ...[text shortened]...

gb[/b]
    Well, you asked...

It is my opinion that there exists a general consensus among people of all stripes--- and especially those who have been exposed to immoderate vagaries of human existence--- a certain level of contempt toward expressions of extreme. Being essentially centrist in nature, we tend to revile those who purposely move themselves to either end of the spectrum.

Your example of Broadway Joe is Exhibit A for the argument. Joe was a rascal without being a rapist, therefore we liked him. A certain other modern-day quarterback is reputed to be a rapist, therefore no matter how much he 'rascals,' we revile him.

We seem to like them a bit dirty, just so.

Conversely, in the words of Bruce Cockburn:
    "... those who know don't have the words to tell
    and the ones with the words don't know too well."

Or, in other words, we've been repeatedly burned by those who claim to be representative of truth/light and have often found those campaigners of virtue to be woefully lacking of the substance they demand from others... even if they are able to keep up appearances for the short haul.

Perhaps some have an issue with Tebow's declaration of faith not solely on the basis of their rejection of Christianity. Perhaps some of them simply want him to be more comfortable in his own skin before offering salve to others. A quieter faith, if you will.

I like the kid and wish him the best of luck. I love his status as an underdog and the way he confounds all the experts. He reminds me of Terry Bradshaw in some respects. He should by no means retreat from his faith, but he should also know that his reputation has been established and know that repeated 'sharing' doesn't always serve the purposes intended.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 22:15

"Outspoken Christian athlete Tim Tebow, now the starting quarterback for the Denver Broncos, has been widely criticized by many in the media. NFL analysts are starting to admit that criticism, in large par ...[text shortened]...

gb[/b]
    I don't care if he's a Christian, I just don't want to hear about it. He should just shut up and play the game. Would it have been appropriate for Pat Tillman to blather on and on about being an atheist? No, it would not have been. Nobody cares. Shut up and play the game.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Dec '11 01:211 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I don't care if he's a Christian, I just don't want to hear about it. He should just shut up and play the game. Would it have been appropriate for Pat Tillman to blather on and on about being an atheist? No, it would not have been. Nobody cares. Shut up and play the game.
    Yep ... I feel exactly the same way when people come out and proclaim to the world that they are gay. Who the hell cares .. shut up and keep your disgusting private life private.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '11 01:41

gb[/b]
    typical, i give up on the broncos and they come good, i jump to the colts and they go
    down, anyone needing a team jinxed, im your man!
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    07 Dec '11 01:44
    I like Tebow and the Broncos. I know he's excited and no doubt thankful for the succes he and the Broncos are having.

But my two issues are this:

Jesus himself gave us the model prayer to show us the things we should pray for.

This is at Matt 6: 9-13,

9 “YOU must pray, then, this way:
    “‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified. 10 Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth. 11 Give us today our bread for this day; 12 and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13 And do not bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the wicked one.’

Again I'm a super big fan of football and the Broncos are my wife's team and I do like them.
    But does God really care who wins at any sporting event? Would he listen to ones teams prayer and not the others?
    I think God has more to do then we could ever imagine then to worry which football team is going to win on Sunday.

The second issue I have is described here in part:

Matthew 6:5-6
    New American Standard Bible (NASB)

5 “When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners [a]so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you."

Now the first part of this scripture does not apply to Tebow as he is not a religious leader that Jesus was condeming, but the second part shows us all how are personal prayers should be and that is in private.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Dec '11 01:47
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    typical, i give up on the broncos and they come good, i jump to the colts and they go
    down, anyone needing a team jinxed, im your man!
    Now that explains a lot about the JWs and WT Org.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '11 01:57
    yeah yeah, your right, so it does, like Jonah who jinxed the boat while running away
    from Nineveh, my support of NFL teams is exactly the same, well spotted Raji Paji
    pudding and pie! once i get swallowed by a large fish will the colts come good again?
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    07 Dec '11 02:07
    And what does this explain exactly?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree