1. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 20:13
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Consequently, I'm of the opinion that I am perpetually in sin and, while I
    live a reasonably moral life (I think), I see no way to avoid it short of
    giving all my possessions away and working in the Peace Corps.

Nemesio
    So would you say that a Christian who spends his day in prayer asking for forgiveness for his sins may in fact be sinning by doing so as it would be morally better if he spent the day giving away his possessions and joining thePeace Corps?

On a side note, giving away your possessions is only a good thing if you make a wise choice about who you give those possessions to. It is my firm belief that the vast majority of poor people need education far more than they need money or goods. Even the wealthier citizens of this world, could benefit from education. So if you ever really feel like doing something good, concentrate on education and you will probably be doing the most good.
  2. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 20:33
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So would you say that a Christian who spends his day in prayer asking for forgiveness for his sins may in fact be sinning by doing so as it would be morally better if he spent the day giving away his possessions and joining thePeace Corps?

I'm of the opinion that people who spend their day in (intercessory) prayer rather than engaging
    the needs of the community are ignoring Jesus. I've no objection to prayer in and of itself, but
    prayer in the absence possible action is indeed sin. That is, the 90-year old, blind paraplegic
    can't build houses for those in need, so prayer might be all s/he is able to do. The person who
    is incarcerated by a corrupt government or police state and is thus unable to tend to the needs
    of his/her community is similarly held to a different standard.

On a side note, giving away your possessions is only a good thing if you make a wise choice about who you give those possessions to. It is my firm belief that the vast majority of poor people need education far more than they need money or goods. Even the wealthier citizens of this world, could benefit from education. So if you ever really feel like doing something good, concentrate on education and you will probably be doing the most good.

I figured my disposition would make this sort of qualification obvious -- I'm certainly a 'teach-a-
    man-to-fish' type of person. However, I remain reasonably confident that, by omission, I'm
    condemning, in part, to the suffering of other people whom I don't know. I'm not sure what
    reasonable and responsible options I have (or anyone else in my position) -- obviously I have
    a duty to myself, to my wife and child, and my community. But I'm unconvinced that my
    duty ends there.

Nemesio
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 21:15
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    [b]So would you say that a Christian who spends his day in prayer asking for forgiveness for his sins may in fact be sinning by doing so as it would be morally better if he spent the day giving away his possessions and joining thePeace Corps?

I'm of the opinion that people who spend their day in (intercessory) p ...[text shortened]... and child, and my community. But I'm unconvinced that my
    duty ends there.

Nemesio[/b]
    So the monastic tradition is nothing but selfishness?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 21:33
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    So the monastic tradition is nothing but selfishness?
    Probably. You sound surprised.
    What would you say is selfless about it?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 22:061 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999

What would you say is selfless about it?
    The total renunciation of personal pleasures in place of an ascetic lifestyle, with hours of silence, prayer, study and liturgy. Nemesio may think that misguided, but it is completely selfless and hardly sinful.

Having said that, a number of monastic orders do charity. Some Cistercian orders run universities or work farms (of which profits can be given to the poor); others offer retreats. I live near a Carmelite convent in which the nuns make perfumes. There are few monastic orders which do no work at all. But even so, these monastics may think that the only way that they personally can follow God is away from the world (they might be 'tempted' by the outside world) or they may not have the ability to do apostolic work that other religious might do. A monastery offers a place where they can live as Christians.

And there are benefits of having monasteries. Their spiritual insights may help other Christians. For example, Thomas Merton. They can also be a refuge for ordinary people who are stressed out and need some silence in their lives for a while. Some Benedictines allow laypeople to live with them. I am told it can be therapeutic. But even if there was none of that, I still think that there is nothing sinful or selfish about that lifestyle. It is a weird thing to say.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 22:11
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    On average, how many sins do you commit each day?
    Enough! 🙄
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 22:12
    Seventy times seven! 🙄
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 22:13
    As much as it takes! 🙄
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 22:15
    What do you mean by "average"?
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 22:15
    I'm not your average sinner! 🙄
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 22:17
    Do you mean knowingly or by accident?
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 22:17
    Would that be venial or mortal sins?
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 22:32
    The total renunciation of personal pleasures in place of an ascetic lifestyle, with hours of silence, prayer, study and liturgy. Nemesio may think that misguided, but it is completely selfless and hardly sinful.

Having said that, a number of monastic orders do charity. Some Cistercian orders run universities or work farms (of which profits can be given t ...[text shortened]... hink that there is nothing sinful or selfish about that lifestyle. It is a weird thing to say.
    Selfessness is really the act to doing for others, not self. So I would guess that "...hours of silence, prayer, study and liturgy" does not constitute selflessness, although I probably wont refer to it as sinful.

Charity is a selfless act but staying in a monastery (long term) for your own personal well-being is in fact selfish. Again I am not commenting on whether or not it is a sin but it certainly is not selfless as it does not constitute helping another person.

Christ is the judge of who sins but I would think that He expects us to give of ourselves and our resources to the benefit of others. I am not too sure people understand what that means.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 23:36
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Selfessness is really the act to doing for others, not self. So I would guess that "...hours of silence, prayer, study and liturgy" does not constitute selflessness, although I probably wont refer to it as sinful.

Charity is a selfless act but staying in a monastery (long term) for your own personal well-being is in fact selfish. Again I am not commenting ...[text shortened]... d our resources to the benefit of others. I am not too sure people understand what that means.
    Charity is a selfless act but staying in a monastery (long term) for your own personal well-being is in fact selfish. Again I am not commenting on whether or not it is a sin but it certainly is not selfless as it does not constitute helping another person.

Are we talking about those monasteries which solely engage in prayer? Or does you include those monasteries which also work, farm, produce crafts or run retreats? If the former, then there would be very few. I would guess less than a thousand men and women, from the Camaldolese and Carthusian monasteries. But even then, I disagree that their lives are selfish. Even though their lives are hermetic, they live in a community to help each other in their prayer lives, to celebrate Mass together and to teach one another. They are helping each other. It is a very self-abdicating act.
  15. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 02:52
    I think it's entirely selfish, but that's because my hermeneutic disbelieves in the power of
    intercessory prayer and the accompanying explanations how two-year olds who get cancer are
    part of God's Great Plan.

Asceticism by its very nature is removing one's self from the world and consequently subtracting
    one's self from the possible solution to that world's problems. Jesus didn't say to pray that
    someone gets food, drink or clothing; He said 'Give it to them.'

I have no objection to silence, prayer, study and especially liturgy. But I believe that if those
    things don't yield to feeding, slaking, clothing, and housing those in need, then they are an
    utter waste of time. And given that Jesus assaulted the Pharisees for roughly the same thing,
    I think He both did and would agree with me.

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree