1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 19:531 edit
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Sorry, but I already have a priest to provide that spiritual direction.
    OK, if you can live with four weekly sins, that's a choice I can respect. As for myself, I prefer to be the very best that I can be. I fully believe that you have it within yourself to get down to three weekly sins, possibly even two, but as I said, if your priest can keep you under five that's certainly nothing to scoff at. However if you ever decide that he is not helping you make the most of your potential, let me know.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 20:041 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    OK, if you can live with four weekly sins, that's a choice I can respect. As for myself, I prefer to be the very best that I can be. I fully believe that you have it within yourself to get down to three weekly sins, possibly even two, but as I said, if your priest can keep you under five that's certainly nothing to scoff at. However if you ever decide that he is not helping you make the most of your potential, let me know.
    Thankyou for the offer. I appreciate your generous spirit.

But what about your data? Any conclusions yet?
  3. Playing with matches
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 00:30
    I've seen you take the Lord's name in vain in this very thread.
    I went to college with Jesus, we're tight.
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 04:00
    Sorry, Conrau. I've been very busy.

Is that the basis of your hermeneutic? The 'wow' factor?

Of course not. I was merely commenting that the content of the 'Our Father' is relatively
    unremarkable except for the part that reads 'as we forgive those....'

Note what the 'asking' part says (as well as the passage immediately following: Give us our
    daily bread; Ask and it will be given to you; search and you will find; and so on.

Jesus is teaching people to seek wisdom and understanding. He is not saying, 'Pray for
    good things to happen to other people.' Indeed, He says, 'Give your cloak and robe,' or 'Give
    two loaves, not one,' and so forth.

I think asking God for guidance, wisdom, advice -- that's all good and I'm totally in favor of it.
    That inward introspection is totally different then burying yourself in a cloister and praying for
    the end of world hunger.

And anyway, I do not know why you have zeroed in on intercessory prayer. Monasteries are devoted to contemplative prayer. The primary purpose is to contemplate God, through prayer, study and manual labour, and experience His presence. Intercessory prayer is a marginal practice.

Yes but so what? Jesus didn't say that His followers' primary duty was to contemplate God.
    He said to love your neighbor as yourself was, after loving God, the first duty. Jesus, at other
    points, explains who your neighbor is (everyone, even your enemy) and how that love ought to
    be manifested (feeding, slaking, &c).

Indeed, if one is to maintain that Jesus is God, then one's being unable to recognize Him in the
    faces of those in need is proof positive that he doesn't know God, no matter how much contemplation
    he engages in.

Nemesio
  5. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 04:19
    Of course. But the profits go to charities. A monastery of strict-observant Cistercians in my state make hundreds of thousands of dollars each year. In three years they were able to repay a substantial loan for their newly acquired property. They then built a retreat house so that any Catholic can stay there for prayer and silence. I understand that they have also donated to charities outside their apostolate.

Again, the 'charity' is the entity itself. Yes, they made candles. And then they used the money
    to build a building for themselves, not for the homeless. Another example: the Capuchin's here
    in Pittsburgh have two huge fundraisers, both of which go to raising funds to pay for seminarians.

Don't get me wrong: I have no problem with raising money for your own establishment. But
    that's not charity in the sense that Jesus said. Jesus didn't say, 'Collect money and
    spend it on buildings.' He said, 'Feed the hungry.'

Again, let me be clear: I've no problem with the erection of a church (or, in my case, the
    installation of a pipe organ), or prayer house, or giving money to seminarians. But that's not
    Jesus' command. And to pretend otherwise is just dishonest.

But I disagree that all Christians have such a capacity. Not everyone is able to live in the modern world and some Christians may find that the only way to maintain their faith is by a hermetic life.

Huh? People would lose their faith if they were out in the rank and file feeding the hungry?
    Faith without works isn't faith, Conrau. Shutting yourself off in a building, hiding away from
    the world's problems is the epitome of a 'dead faith.'

What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can
    that faith save him? If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day,
    and one of you says to them, 'Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well,' but you do not give them
    the necessities of the body, what good is it?
    So also faith of itself, if it does not have works,
    is dead.
    James 2:14-17

The real world is the place where the faith Jesus and His Disciples described is lived out.

Is there a place for solitude in the life of a person with a healthy faith? Of course. Jesus went
    out into the desert. But He came back. Is there a place for personal pleas for intercession?
    Yes. But, as Saint Teresa said, Christ has no hands but that of His believers.

If those hands are willingly idle, then the so-called believers are just consenting to let Jesus
    go hungry, thirsty, naked and lonely.

Nemesio
  6. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 04:43
    On average, how many sins do you commit each day?
    Sin is a state of being, not the list of dont's that get you on the s-list.
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 04:595 edits
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Sin is a state of being, not the list of dont's that get you on the s-list.
    I see.

Would you say that when Catholic dogma constructs a taxonomy of individual sins, such as those that are mortal sins and those that are venal sins and so on, it is exhibiting a notional defect regarding sin by treating sins as acts and not states of being?

Also, would you say that the Ten Commandments exhibits a similar notional defect, since it forbids specific acts such as murder rather than states of being?

To what plurality does the phrase in the Lord's Prayer "forgive us our sins" refer? Similarly to what does the phrase "those who sin against us" refer -- what does it mean for somebody to be in a sinful state against me?

Finally, is ConrauK simply confused to claim that he sins but four times a week?
  8. Joined
    18 Dec '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 15:03
    How many Venal sins does it take to fill one mortal sin?
  9. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 23:18
    I see.

Would you say that when Catholic dogma constructs a taxonomy of individual sins, such as those that are mortal sins and those that are venal sins and so on, it is exhibiting a notional defect regarding sin by treating sins as acts and not states of being?

Also, would you say that the Ten Commandments exhibits a similar notional defec ...[text shortened]... nst me?

Finally, is ConrauK simply confused to claim that he sins but four times a week?
    Sinfulness does not exclude the possibility of individual sins, any more than criminality excludes the possibility of individual crimes. If anything, the former traits, in each case, respectively presuppose the latter acts (although one can, it is sometimes alleged, sin by intent alone, rather than actually having to act, as is the case for crimes).
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 15:53
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    Sinfulness does not exclude the possibility of individual sins, any more than criminality excludes the possibility of individual crimes. If anything, the former traits, in each case, respectively presuppose the latter acts (although one can, it is sometimes alleged, sin by intent alone, rather than actually having to act, as is the case for crimes).
    Well, I'm very confused now. Badwater tells me one thing and you tell me something different. Are you right or is he?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree