1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 06:14
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Why don't you give me another data point. When you go to confession, how many sins do you typically confess? (And how many do you typically hold back?)
    I would say four. I generally do not 'hold back'. That would defeat the purpose of confession.

But anyway, how can you compare my data point with anyone else? I have a different standard to evaluate sinfulfness than Nemesio and possibly the other three contributors.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 06:16
    Then Jesus must have been unfamiliar with a very simple argument demonstrating that intercessory prayer to an omnibenevolent, omniscient God is necessarily futile.
    Why? Jesus does not say that God will intercede if and only if they pray to him.
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 06:24
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Why? Jesus does not say that God will intercede if and only if they pray to him.
    Precisely. If he would intercede whether or not they pray, then the prayer is futile.
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 06:25
    I would say four. I generally do not 'hold back'. That would defeat the purpose of confession.

But anyway, how can you compare my data point with anyone else? I have a different standard to evaluate sinfulfness than Nemesio and possibly the other three contributors.
    You're telling me you only sin four times a week?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 06:38
    Yes. I live a very frugal life. I am ready to admit that I am far from the ideal that Jesus sets. But it is not very often that I introspectively reflect on my day and can point to a particular moment and say "that was a sin." I see it extraordinay that some can enumerate hundreds of such moments in just one day.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 06:41
    Precisely. If he would intercede whether or not they pray, then the prayer is futile.
    I am sure many prayerful Christians find it spiritually rewarding nonetheless.
  7. Illinois
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 08:20
    Yes. I live a very frugal life. I am ready to admit that I am far from the ideal that Jesus sets. But it is not very often that I introspectively reflect on my day and can point to a particular moment and say "that was a sin." I see it extraordinay that some can enumerate hundreds of such moments in just one day.
    I see it extraordinay that some can enumerate hundreds of such moments in just one day.

Bob Dylan was asked once in the 1960's how many protest singers he thought there were in the world. "How many?", he asked. The questioner replied, "Yes, how many protest singers are there?" Bob Dylan thought about it a second, barely hiding a smile. "...about a hundred and forty-six," was his answer.
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 15:03
    I am sure many prayerful Christians find it spiritually rewarding nonetheless.
    Perhaps, but that finding supports Nemesio's position that a life of intercessory prayer is selfish and rejects your position that a life of intercessory prayer is selfless.
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 15:071 edit
    So if you sin four times a week, unless your sins are of excessive duration, that leaves three days a week that you sin no more than Jesus himself. Not too shabby.

Given that, have you ever given serious consideration to attempting to be sinless for a whole week? It shouldn't be that hard, if you're only sinning four times a week to begin with. Essentially all that would be required are four additional acts of willpower each week. Perhaps you could devise a long-term plan to gradually get there, perhaps by getting your sin count down to a weekly three for a few months, and then just iteratively apply whatever you did to achieve that to get it down to zero, say a year from now.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 18:461 edit
    Perhaps, but that finding supports Nemesio's position that a life of intercessory prayer is selfish and rejects your position that a life of intercessory prayer is selfless.
    No; Nemesio claimed "Jesus didn't say to pray that someone gets food, drink or clothing". Unless Nemesio can offer alternative interpretations of the quotes listed above, this is a statement substantially wrong. Note that I am not engaging in a debate about the efficacy of intercessory prayer; I am disputing what Jesus said.

And anyway, I have stated that monastic prayer is mostly not intercessory. So whether intercessory prayer is efficicacious or not is irrelevant.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 18:49
    \Given that, have you ever given serious consideration to attempting to be sinless for a whole week?
    Of course. The goal of confession is to express repentance and resolve never to sin again.
  12. Playing with matches
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 19:15
    Is anything I say or do on this site considered a sin?
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 19:24
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Is anything I say or do on this site considered a sin?
    I've seen you take the Lord's name in vain in this very thread.
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 19:29
    Of course. The goal of confession is to express repentance and resolve never to sin again.
    It sounds like you need an accountability partner. I'd really like to help you get down to three weekly sins, even if it's just once.

Here's what we can do. Keep track of your sins starting this coming Monday. When you get up to three, let me know. As long as it's reasonably close to Sunday morning, I'll sit and debate the merits of various points of the Catholic Catechism with you, and we'll just ride out the time until confession, so you won't really have an opportunity to commit that fourth sin. I promise I will not attempt to drive you to anger, nor display such desirable debating skills that you might covet them.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 19:46
    It sounds like you need an accountability partner. I'd really like to help you get down to three weekly sins, even if it's just once.

Here's what we can do. Keep track of your sins starting this coming Monday. When you get up to three, let me know. As long as it's reasonably close to Sunday morning, I'll sit and debate the merits of various po ...[text shortened]... drive you to anger, nor display such desirable debating skills that you might covet them.
    Sorry, but I already have a priest to provide that spiritual direction. Nonetheless, I am happy to discuss the merits of the Catholic Catechism. Feel free to employ your debating skills in full.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree