1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 12:12
    bob gets married to the love of his life sandra they live in bliss for 10 years then sandra dies of cancer. bob's gutted but gets on with his life, a few years later bob marries again to the lovely claire and has a long and happy life together. claire dies at the ripe old age of 85, bob goes on for a few more years then also dies. god say 'bob you have lived a good life and been an honest man, come on in'. bob walks through the gates and there stood waiting for him are sandra and claire........what does bob do? as there is no bad feeling in heaven how does god sort this situation out?
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 13:37
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    bob gets married to the love of his life sandra they live in bliss for 10 years then sandra dies of cancer. bob's gutted but gets on with his life, a few years later bob marries again to the lovely claire and has a long and happy life together. claire dies at the ripe old age of 85, bob goes on for a few more years then also dies. god say 'bob you have ...[text shortened]... .what does bob do? as there is no bad feeling in heaven how does god sort this situation out?
    Death abolishes all marriage ties. " Untill death do us part". So if this senario were true, Bob is a single man and can choose his own future.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 15:24
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Death abolishes all marriage ties. " Untill death do us part". So if this senario were true, Bob is a single man and can choose his own future.
    We can assume there are answers to this kind of question, for example, how old will we be forever, will a person born blind be given sight, etc. Even if we don't have the answers, we can assume they will be answered satisfactorily when the time comes, right?

Otherwise there would be a lot of questions to handle.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 15:59
    bob gets married to the love of his life sandra they live in bliss for 10 years then sandra dies of cancer. bob's gutted but gets on with his life, a few years later bob marries again to the lovely claire and has a long and happy life together. claire dies at the ripe old age of 85, bob goes on for a few more years then also dies. god say 'bob you have ...[text shortened]... .what does bob do? as there is no bad feeling in heaven how does god sort this situation out?
    According to the Bible there is no marriage between men and women in Heaven. This is well documented in scripture.
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 16:00
    odd that you didnt take his wifes feelings into consideration. somebody is going to lose out, which doesnt fit with the everybody will be happy ethos of heaven.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 16:07
    Originally posted by divegeester
    According to the Bible there is no marriage between men and women in Heaven. This is well documented in scripture.
    really?!? does the scripture explain how it thinks this will change human behavior? does this abolish the no sex out of wedlock rule?
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 16:11
    Originally posted by JS357
    We can assume there are answers to this kind of question, for example, how old will we be forever, will a person born blind be given sight, etc. Even if we don't have the answers, we can assume they will be answered satisfactorily when the time comes, right?

Otherwise there would be a lot of questions to handle.
    i think these are very important questions. if i was blind or had something worse like locked in syndrome i think its very important to know the answers and shocking that god doesnt deem it important enough to explain to humans what they can expect in the after-life.
    there are no conditions in which heaven could be perfect for everybody, unless god changes human nature, but changing us to make us always happy is a fake happiness.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 16:321 edit
    i think these are very important questions. if i was blind or had something worse like locked in syndrome i think its very important to know the answers and shocking that god doesnt deem it important enough to explain to humans what they can expect in the after-life.
    there are no conditions in which heaven could be perfect for everybody, unless god changes human nature, but changing us to make us always happy is a fake happiness.
    Of course as you know I was attempting to cut to the bottom line of what the theistic response will be (although g75 would give the JW orientation to it, which is quite "mundane" ). While I lack any such faith, I can discuss what I was taught, which is that we will be in a state of eternal bliss due to the divine presence of God, period. Go ahead and speculate about it, if that is your inclination, but be aware that any difficulties you imagine, will not be difficulties in heaven.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 16:54
    Of course as you know I was attempting to cut to the bottom line of what the theistic response will be (although g75 would give the JW orientation to it, which is quite "mundane"😉. While I lack any such faith, I can discuss what I was taught, which is that we will be in a state of eternal bliss due to the divine presence of God, period. Go ahead and speculate ...[text shortened]... clination, but be aware that any difficulties you imagine, will not be difficulties in heaven.
    "mundane"😉. What do you mean by that?
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 17:17
    "mundane"😉. What do you mean by that?
    I have edited it from, "😉 to " ) which gets rid of the RHP smiley but your question is probably about the word mundane.

By mundane I mean for most of us, it depicts a life sort of like the ordinary ones we live now, in at least the sense of having duties in a heirarchy of beings in a ruled domain of the anointed, and there being an earthly kind of afterlife for the majority of those saved. I can't pretend to describe it completely accurately but that's my point in saying mundane. I would contrast "mundane" with "transcendent" or "ineffable." I don't mean it in any derogatory way.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 17:34
    Of course as you know I was attempting to cut to the bottom line of what the theistic response will be (although g75 would give the JW orientation to it, which is quite "mundane" ). While I lack any such faith, I can discuss what I was taught, which is that we will be in a state of eternal bliss due to the divine presence of God, period. Go ahead and speculate ...[text shortened]... clination, but be aware that any difficulties you imagine, will not be difficulties in heaven.
    i always find the 'state of bliss' description of heaven interesting. i think its impossible to have free will and have the stasis of permanent bliss. even if it was possible to achieve a permanent 'anything' it renders the feeling meaningless as it has no reference to define what you are experiencing. you have to have unhappiness to understand happiness.

i guess that non of that means anything to the christians of this site as the clever clause in the scriptures demands you do not question god and just accept that 'its all going to be fine' no matter how ridiculous it all is.
    how do christians deal with the dont ask questions about god mentality with the ask lots of questions approach to life we want our kids to take?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 17:53
    i always find the 'state of bliss' description of heaven interesting.
    What I find even more interesting is the question of whether or not the being in heaven which has apparently no worldly desires etc is really me, and whether or not I care about its heavenly existence. Interestingly I can never get theists to discuss this at all. They seem to have a serious phobia with regards to this topic.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 18:171 edit
    i always find the 'state of bliss' description of heaven interesting. i think its impossible to have free will and have the stasis of permanent bliss. even if it was possible to achieve a permanent 'anything' it renders the feeling meaningless as it has no reference to define what you are experiencing. you have to have unhappiness to understand happines ut god mentality with the ask lots of questions approach to life we want our kids to take?
    If the overall theme of Western theism is that this is all a big test (it's all about Me) there should be no need for the concept of free will in conceptualizing about heaven, because the test is over. I agree with your and TW's thoughts on this. I think more theistic thought has gone into describing hell, than heaven. Certainly the artistic depictions in fine art and literature, focus more on the intensity of the pain, than of the happiness. Maybe the idea of experiencing happiness (pleasure) in heaven is too racy. I've seen Bernini's Ecstasy of Saint Teresa and its pretty much to the point, if you know what I mean. Talk about your awkward moments.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 18:20
    really?!? does the scripture explain how it thinks this will change human behavior? does this abolish the no sex out of wedlock rule?
    You should read the scripture Jesus was asked that, but it had more to do with
    several brothers all married to the same woman.
    Kelly
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 19:03
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You should read the scripture Jesus was asked that, but it had more to do with
    several brothers all married to the same woman.
    Kelly
    the story of the sadducees doesnt really answer much. they attempt to trick jesus. jesus gives them an answer that explains why they are wrong. sadly we do not have the option to sit down and ask the head honcho how he plans on running the show.
    i also note the way by answering the sadducees, jesus is also very vague at the same time. just saying 'their will be no marriage' he should explain why and what is the significance of this. it seems to contradict us having freewill, if my wife and i are in the after-life and we are refused marriage then that goes against our freewill.
    i see that it says we will be 'like angels' does anybody know what this means?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree