1. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    19 Oct '20 18:56
    @kevcvs57 said
    I didn’t think we were talking about ghosts I though we were talking about ultimate truths regarding the nature of existence.
    I would say however that you believe we inhabit a reality in which ghosts do not exist.
    I use the word ‘believe’ in the sense that I might say to you. ‘I believe you stole my pencil’ even though I never saw you steal my pencil but we were the only ...[text shortened]... eist on this subject.
    Like many of the words used in the English language the context is important.
    Be careful who you accuse of stealing your pencil, pencils can sometimes spontaneously dematerialize and appear in someone else's pencil case. (I have witnessed this happen) (at least it was always my excuse. )

P.S. Did you know that all pencils come from Pencilvania?
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Oct '20 20:23
    @indonesia-phil said

P.S. Did you know that all pencils come from Pencilvania?
    That remains 2B evidenced...
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    19 Oct '20 21:21
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    That remains 2B evidenced...
    So I'm lead to believe.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '20 21:29
    @kevcvs57 said

I cannot have a belief about it either way in general.
    But you seemed adamant when you said you “struggle to accept any kind of model for the universe that isn’t positively substantiated by empirical evidence.”

Sorry for the list but I asked about those two scenarios specifically because each hold an expectation that there is in fact more to the universe and our experience of it than just what empirical evidence tells us there is.

The first “spirituality” is defended quite vehemently by those in here who deny supernatural but hold to the beyond natural (for want of a better word. And the second “space aliens” is generally held to be a “probably but we will never know”.

Each of these scenarios offer no empirical evidence.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '20 21:32
    @indonesia-phil said
    So I'm lead to believe.
    Sharpen up!
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    19 Oct '20 21:49
    @divegeester said
    Sharpen up!
    What's your point?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '20 21:50
    @indonesia-phil said
    What's your point?
    I have a rubber.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Oct '20 22:12
    @divegeester said
    I have a rubber.
    4F sake, Is this the General Forum?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '20 23:07
    @rajk999 said
    Your language is rather graphite...
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    19 Oct '20 23:55
    @divegeester said
    Your language is rather graphite...
    This is becoming a long drawn out discussion.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 Oct '20 06:471 edit
    @indonesia-phil said
    This is becoming a long drawn out discussion.
    That was out of line and off the mark.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Oct '20 07:42
    @rajk999 said
    Apologies for starting the puns sir. The thread topic has become rather stationery.
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    20 Oct '20 09:03
    @divegeester said
    But you seemed adamant when you said you “struggle to accept any kind of model for the universe that isn’t positively substantiated by empirical evidence.”

Sorry for the list but I asked about those two scenarios specifically because each hold an expectation that there is in fact more to the universe and our experience of it than just what empirical evidence tells us t ...[text shortened]... to be a “probably but we will never know”.

Each of these scenarios offer no empirical evidence.
    “ But you seemed adamant when you said you “struggle to accept any kind of model for the universe that isn’t positively substantiated by empirical evidence.”

Yes that’s why, whilst not having an active belief in an entity because of a lack of empirical evidence for its existence. There is also no empirical evidence for the non existence of an entity. There may be an inconsistency in my thinking on this but I would need it to be explained to me.

“ Sorry for the list but I asked about those two scenarios specifically because each hold an expectation that there is in fact more to the universe and our experience of it than just what empirical evidence tells us there is. ”
    Well I’m assuming that we are a long way from gathering all the empirical evidence that is available. Our experience of the universe is probably still quite limited. It seems to me the more we learn the more supernatural the universe gets but my analogy for that would be someone looking at a picture through one half closed eye.
    ‘Quantum Entanglement’ has been substantiated with empirical evidence but it looks pretty supernatural to me.
    I think supernatural and beyond natural could be replaced with ‘we haven’t figured it out yet’ or not.
    Do you think we are being visited by ‘space aliens’? To my mind they are either science fiction or science but ‘we haven’t figured it out yet’.
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    20 Oct '20 09:12
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Apologies for starting the puns sir. The thread topic has become rather stationery.
    Not to mention protractor’ed
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Oct '20 11:02
    @kevcvs57 said
    Not to mention protractor’ed
    Some people here have no moral compass

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree