1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Nov '17 08:161 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    3 21 14 20

Go figure.
    Ummmm, you misspelled what you were trying to say here, didn't you?

EDIT: Jeeez, never mind, I'm so tired right now that I apparently can't count.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Nov '17 09:02
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Actually I think it is pretty clear; the instruction is to kill anyone worshipping other gods.

I'm merely pointing out that some Christians could take this as a literal instruction.
    (The same way that some Muslims do)

It is all the same.
    Christians, or people claiming to be Christians?

Because that's not how Christians roll. If they do, then obviously, they're not Christians.

Remember Frank Zappa?

He said, "Is that a real Mexican poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?"

A shocking number of Christians today are "Sears Christians".
  3. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    27 Nov '17 09:09
    Originally posted by @suzianne

Because that's not how Christians roll. If they do, then obviously, they're not Christians.

Remember Frank Zappa?

Based on their behaviour and what they say, who do you think are genuine and not genuine Christians here in this community?
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Nov '17 09:45
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Based on their behaviour and what they say, who do you think are genuine and not genuine Christians here in this community?
    Why do you want her to 'play God'?
  5. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    27 Nov '17 09:48
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Why do you want her to 'play God'?
    Why are you poking your nose in to try and fend off a perfectly reasonable question about the community in which we operate? It's her who has said some judgemental words about fellow Christians. Probing her to see if she can walk the walk rather than just talk the talk on this matter is hardly asking her "to play God".
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Nov '17 10:10
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Why are you poking your nose in to try and fend off a perfectly reasonable question about the community in which we operate? It's her who has said some judgemental words about fellow Christians. Probing her to see if she can walk the walk rather than just talk the talk on this matter is hardly asking her "to play God".
    Her comment was made about Christians in general I doubt she was referring to specific 'people' on this site.
  7. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    27 Nov '17 10:13
    Her comment was made about Christians in general I doubt she was referring to specific 'people' on this site.
    That's why I asked her what I asked her.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '17 03:511 edit
    Actually I think it is pretty clear; the instruction is to kill anyone worshipping other gods.

I'm merely pointing out that some Christians could take this as a literal instruction.
    (The same way that some Muslims do)

It is all the same.
    Christians who do take that literally would obviously not have read the new testament and understand what the new covenant is about. They would also be ignoring the blatant instruction to love your enemy and love your neighbor as you love yourself.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    howling mad
    In the den
    Moves
    29 Nov '17 11:51
    Christians who do take that literally would obviously not have read the new testament and understand what the new covenant is about. .
    They would probably say the same of you.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 19:01
    They would probably say the same of you.
    They would only think that if they haven’t read the words “Love your enemies...”
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    howling mad
    In the den
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 11:22
    . They would also be ignoring the blatant instruction to love your enemy and love your neighbor as you love yourself.
    How often do you love yourself?
    And would your neighbours object if you did it to them?
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 15:201 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne

Remember Frank Zappa?

When I was a kid, Sears catalogs advertised three levels of price/quality for many of their items: good, better, and best. The strategy facilitated “up-selling” which had obvious benefits to Sears. I remember our dad taking my sister and me to a Sears store where he bought a stereo record player for $90. No small sum, back when sirloin steak was $1.09 a pound at his meat market.

What does this have to do with gradations of quality of Christians? Nothing, I suppose, except that we, compared to stereos and steaks, are capable of self-improvement, especially if lent a hand.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 17:391 edit
    Christians who do take that literally would obviously not have read the new testament and understand what the new covenant is about. They would also be ignoring the blatant instruction to love your enemy and love your neighbor as you love yourself.
    Like Christians who support capital punishment?

Like Christians who support preemptive attacks?

Like Christians who support killing in war?

Like Christians who do not support gender equality?

Like Christian who do not support race equality?

Like Christians who do not support LGBT rights?

Like Christians who are against welfare programs?

The list goes on and on?

Do you mean those kind of Christians?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 18:50
    Originally posted by @bunnyknight
    Why do some children lie? Good question. If they admit to stealing a toy and get punished, why would they not lie? Simple law of nature ... self-preservation and to maximize their gain. But if they realize that a toy can be stolen from them, then that self-preservation instinct is balanced by the fear that they might be victimized by someone else. I ...[text shortened]... will refuse to abuse the helpless, and always fight for justice, even when it brings them harm.
    Just as an aside, I see on your profile you compose music. Sonship and I both do, wonder if you have anything we could hear? What kind of music do you compose? Sonship has some classical pieces I think on Youtube and I have a lot of guitar solo and such on Soundcloud.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 18:56
    Good question. It think it serves as a historical record. The old covenant also gives us greater appreciation for the new covenant and basically shows us why the new covenant was necessary.
    It's not a historical record for literalists who say Earth is 6000 years old PERIOD because it is all spelled out written in stone, oscar begat ralph, who begat mary who begat billy and so forth, and of course cannot be wrong, it is written in stone, right? Therefore, just add up all the begats and there you have it. 6000 years old.
    That is not ancient history for a LOT of people including several here at RHP.