basic logic of right and wrong

basic logic of right and wrong

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
27 Nov 17

Originally posted by @suzianne
It's a pretty far reach from that, to "blow them up".
Actually I think it is pretty clear; the instruction is to kill anyone worshipping other gods.

I'm merely pointing out that some Christians could take this as a literal instruction.
(The same way that some Muslims do)

It is all the same.

F

Moves
27 Nov 17

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
Why would I and why should I?
It's not my religion.

You on the other hand stand by your religious book which is the Bible
NOT JUST THE NEW TESTAMENT.

The Christian Bible was put together at Nicea (divinely inspired)
why did they include stuff which is untrue?
The concept of an old and new covenant is just a bit of religionist technobabble striving to explain away the fact that morality varies and changes across cultures and down through history.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
27 Nov 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @divegeester
3 21 14 20

Go figure.
Ummmm, you misspelled what you were trying to say here, didn't you?

EDIT: Jeeez, never mind, I'm so tired right now that I apparently can't count.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
27 Nov 17

Actually I think it is pretty clear; the instruction is to kill anyone worshipping other gods.

I'm merely pointing out that some Christians could take this as a literal instruction.

It is all the same.
Christians, or people claiming to be Christians?

Because that's not how Christians roll. If they do, then obviously, they're not Christians.

Remember Frank Zappa?

He said, "Is that a real Mexican poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?"

A shocking number of Christians today are "Sears Christians".

F

Moves
27 Nov 17

Because that's not how Christians roll. If they do, then obviously, they're not Christians.

Remember Frank Zappa?

Based on their behaviour and what they say, who do you think are genuine and not genuine Christians here in this community?

Moves
27 Nov 17

Originally posted by @fmf
Based on their behaviour and what they say, who do you think are genuine and not genuine Christians here in this community?
Why do you want her to 'play God'?

F

Moves
27 Nov 17

Originally posted by @dj2becker
Why do you want her to 'play God'?
Why are you poking your nose in to try and fend off a perfectly reasonable question about the community in which we operate? It's her who has said some judgemental words about fellow Christians. Probing her to see if she can walk the walk rather than just talk the talk on this matter is hardly asking her "to play God".

Moves
27 Nov 17

Originally posted by @fmf
Why are you poking your nose in to try and fend off a perfectly reasonable question about the community in which we operate? It's her who has said some judgemental words about fellow Christians. Probing her to see if she can walk the walk rather than just talk the talk on this matter is hardly asking her "to play God".
Her comment was made about Christians in general I doubt she was referring to specific 'people' on this site.

F

Moves
27 Nov 17

Her comment was made about Christians in general I doubt she was referring to specific 'people' on this site.
That's why I asked her what I asked her.

Moves
28 Nov 17
1 edit

It is all the same.
Christians who do take that literally would obviously not have read the new testament and understand what the new covenant is about. They would also be ignoring the blatant instruction to love your enemy and love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
29 Nov 17

Christians who do take that literally would obviously not have read the new testament and understand what the new covenant is about. .
They would probably say the same of you.

Moves
20 Dec 17

They would probably say the same of you.
They would only think that if they haven’t read the words “Love your enemies...”

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
23 Dec 17

. They would also be ignoring the blatant instruction to love your enemy and love your neighbor as you love yourself.
How often do you love yourself?
And would your neighbours object if you did it to them?

Moves
23 Dec 17
1 edit

Remember Frank Zappa?

When I was a kid, Sears catalogs advertised three levels of price/quality for many of their items: good, better, and best. The strategy facilitated “up-selling” which had obvious benefits to Sears. I remember our dad taking my sister and me to a Sears store where he bought a stereo record player for $90. No small sum, back when sirloin steak was $1.09 a pound at his meat market.

What does this have to do with gradations of quality of Christians? Nothing, I suppose, except that we, compared to stereos and steaks, are capable of self-improvement, especially if lent a hand.

T

Moves
23 Dec 17
1 edit

Christians who do take that literally would obviously not have read the new testament and understand what the new covenant is about. They would also be ignoring the blatant instruction to love your enemy and love your neighbor as you love yourself.
Like Christians who support capital punishment?

Like Christians who support preemptive attacks?

Like Christians who support killing in war?

Like Christians who do not support gender equality?

Like Christian who do not support race equality?

Like Christians who do not support LGBT rights?

Like Christians who are against welfare programs?

The list goes on and on?

Do you mean those kind of Christians?