1. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 10:53
    The word person comes from the Latin 'per sona' which means 'through sound'.
    If who you are, is what you say (the sounds you send from yourself), then; who you are in thees forums is also your person(ality).
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 11:25
    @yo-its-me said
    If who you are, is what you say (the sounds you send from yourself), then; who you are in thees forums is also your person(ality).
    I think that is probably true in the 'real world' but not in an online forum where personalities tend to be exaggerated or incomplete.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 11:29
    @yo-its-me said
    Yes. Absolutely. As for people's personas here ~ content, demeanour, behaviour, ethics, change ~ everyone is what they post, simple as that. Our presence here is simply marked out and substantiated by words on the screen. Others are affected by reading those words. And that's all there is to it until you start having contact beyond what is made possible by this website.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 11:38
    @yo-its-me said
    Most people I have met here - who I have then met 'beyond here' and then established contact or interacted with in 'real life' - have been pretty much the same as they are here ~ with one notable exception.

This was where someone turned out to a be a vindictive manchild miffed by some small disagreement that happened here - in private, no less! - but then this poster tried to reach into the real lives of me and a group of friends and take some in-the-real-world revenge and wreck what we were doing together... all this on account of some petty perceived slight his superficial and insincere online "persona" had supposedly suffered. There be creeps on this here internet, no doubt about it.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 11:48
    @yo-its-me said
    Since you brought it in Spirituality here is what Jesus said about what people say:

But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard. He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went. And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not. (Matthew 21:28-30 KJV)

Clearly words often does not accurately reflect ones personality. What a person does reflects the persons personality.

I have noticed that people in more advanced developed countries tend to be more easily influenced by what a man says, how a man looks and his overall outward personality. However this is often deceptive and incorrect
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 11:521 edit
    @yo-its-me said
    I certainly acknowledge that in here “one is what one posts” which I’ve said to several people over the years.

However I think my forum personality in this place only offers a segment of who I am in totality, and certainly my “per sona” is notably different across different forums, private clubs and in private messages.

As in real life, some of my interactions I am happier with than others, but whatever I post I take complete responsibility for as a person. So to speak.

Good thread idea.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 12:02
    @yo-its-me said
    I have little tolerance for people who try to distance themselves from what they have said and the positions they have taken in the past. I think we are what we post and we are also what we have posted in the past. If they have changed their mind or if they can't remember what they said in the past [and don't stand by it anymore] then they should just say so.
  8. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 14:15
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I think that is probably true in the 'real world' but not in an online forum where personalities tend to be exaggerated or incomplete.
    Where do the two 'worlds' separate?
    On Facebook you've presumably connected with people from both worlds. In private messages are you back in the real world?
  9. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 14:16
    @fmf said
    I have little tolerance for people who try to distance themselves from what they have said and the positions they have taken in the past. I think we are what we post and we are also what we have posted in the past. If they have changed their mind or if they can't remember what they said in the past [and don't stand by it anymore] then they should just say so.
    It's so nice when you meet the real person and you know it isn't it.
    So frustrating wasting time conversing with someone and never actually knowing anything about who they are- I mean what was the point?
  10. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 14:19
    @fmf said
    Most people I have met here - who I have then met 'beyond here' and then established contact or interacted with in 'real life' - have been pretty much the same as they are here ~ with one notable exception.

This was where someone turned out to a be a vindictive manchild miffed by some small disagreement that happened here - in private, no less! - but then this poster tried to ...[text shortened]... online "persona" had supposedly suffered. There be creeps on this here internet, no doubt about it.
    Just one is a good percentage I think. I imagine you have met lots of people form 'beyond here' over the years. I know I have.
  11. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 14:20
    @divegeester said
    I certainly acknowledge that in here “one is what one posts” which I’ve said to several people over the years.

However I think my forum personality in this place only offers a segment of who I am in totality, and certainly my “per sona” is notably different across different forums, private clubs and in private messages.

As in real life, some of my interactions I a ...[text shortened]... t whatever I post I take complete responsibility for as a person. So to speak.

Good thread idea.
    Perhaps that's like how in face to face we're all a little different depending on the situation (formal or informal etc) and who else is there (adults or children, strangers or family etc).

Thank you
  12. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 14:24
    @rajk999 said
    Since you brought it in Spirituality here is what Jesus said about what people say:

[i]But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard. He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went. And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not. ( ...[text shortened]... how a man looks and his overall outward personality. However this is often deceptive and incorrect
    if you want to talk about God.

God spoke, let there be light and there was light. He brought forth the world from his words and He made us in His image.

The passage you refer to is about human nature- people saying what they think the other people want to hear and in some cases they don't mean a word of it. It still illustrates who they are. Liars, clearly.

Do you have any examples of less developed countries being less easily influenced?
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 14:50
    @yo-its-me said
    Where do the two 'worlds' separate?
    On Facebook you've presumably connected with people from both worlds. In private messages are you back in the real world?
    People wear masks in 'the real world' too, so it is not always easy to differentiate. I just think in the virtual world we are less likely to get the full picture of someone's personality. Perhaps it is the lack of body language and facial expressions, compromised by anonymity and an increased desire to be interesting. I have a cousin who is very outspoken on social media (not necessarily in a bad way, though a tad bullish) but know his real life persona is quiet and extremely polite.

We definitely have to own what we post here, but will never really see a persons complete personality.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 14:513 edits
    @yo-its-me

[E]very careless word is recorded by God. A nonsense speaking is recorded. A careless (or idle) word that does nothing is recorded. Let alone a wicked word.

It astounds me that many people are in awe of what human technology of surveillance can accomplish yet would be surprised that God cannot do far, far more. He is God.

"And I say to you that every idle word which men shall speak, they will render an account concerning it in the day of judgment. For by your words you shall be justified, and by your words you shall be condemned." (Matt. 12:36,37)

That's every idle word, how much more every purposeful speaking.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Feb '21 14:543 edits
    But the blood of Jesus Christ is the mighty ERASER of all our sins.
    For this reason I often pray something like this:

"Lord Jesus, about what I just said, I would not know what to say to You when I come before You. If God asks me about it that day, my mouth will be shut. I wouldn't know what to explain to You about the evil thing I just spoke. Lord, according to Your righteous promise, cleanse me of those words and those sins. Thankyou Lord Jesus for Your redeeming blood."

This is not real to many people. This is very real to me.

Sometimes, I doubted. I thought - "But HOW can so many humans stand before Christ to be judged one by one?" Then I realized God's unlimited power.

He is able to simultaneously, concurrently examine infallibly a hundred billion people at one time with no problem. He is God. Look at "quantum entanglement" or Einstien's "spooky action at a distance". God the Creator did that. Do you think He cannot judge a billion people in one moment?

It is better to heed the "unbelievable" warning with belief -

"But there is nothing covered up which will not be revealed, and hidden which will not be known.

Therefore what you have said in the darkness will be heard in the light, and what you have spoken in the ear in the private rooms will be proclaimed on the housetops. " (Luke 12:2,3)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree