1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    28 Sep '16 06:263 edits
    There are some people on here who think we can't choose any of our beliefs. They say that you can only believe something that you find believable and that you can't choose to believe something that you don't find believable. This seems to indicate that we do not have the ability to decide whether something is believable or not. The way I see it, we are the ones who decide whether or not something is believable, and then we choose to believe that which we have decided is believable. Hence we have the ability to change our minds and our beliefs when new evidence comes to light. Also I believe that even if something is 'convincing' we have the ability to reject it.
  2. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    28 Sep '16 06:581 edit
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    There are some people on here who think we can't choose any of our beliefs. They say that you can only believe something that you find believable and that you can't choose to believe something that you don't find believable. This seems to indicate that we do not have the ability to decide whether something is believable or not. The way I see it, we are t ...[text shortened]... o light. Also I believe that even if something is 'convincing' we have the ability to reject it.
    Wasn't this already discussed ad nauseam in just the last few weeks? You've added nothing new whatsoever [to what has already been discussed] with this OP. Isn't there something new - some new aspect - new insight - new examples - a fresh angle - that you want to offer to set up a conversation about this topic?
  3. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    28 Sep '16 07:111 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Wasn't this already discussed ad nauseam in just the last few weeks? You've added nothing new whatsoever [to what has already been discussed] with this OP. Isn't there something new - some new aspect - new insight - new examples - a fresh angle - that you want to offer to set up a conversation about this topic?
    So do you still maintain that you can't decide whether something is believable or not?
  4. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    28 Sep '16 07:17
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    So do you still maintain that you can't decide whether something is believable or not?
    We discussed the topic of whether people can decide to believe things they don't believe or decide to not believe things that they do believe very recently. Unless you have some new angle to offer, I'll just refer you back to our previous conversation. We've already talked the hind legs off this one.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8572
    28 Sep '16 07:27
    Dead horse. "Please stop flogging me."
  6. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    28 Sep '16 07:381 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    We discussed the topic of whether people can decide to believe things they don't believe or decide to not believe things that they do believe very recently. Unless you have some new angle to offer, I'll just refer you back to our previous conversation. We've already talked the hind legs off this one.
    I would like to know what you think makes something believable, if you don't mind me asking. I am trying to understand your perspective. Does it have to be logical to be believable? If it is logical, aren't you the one that decides that it is?
  7. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    28 Sep '16 07:41
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    I would like to know what you think makes something believable, if you don't mind me asking. I am trying to understand your perspective.
    Take a look at the conversation we had. It was in August and September. I probably posted literally hundreds of times on this topic - many of which were addressed directly to you. You'll find my perspective there.
  8. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    28 Sep '16 07:551 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Take a look at the conversation we had. It was in August and September. I probably posted literally hundreds of times on this topic - many of which were addressed directly to you. You'll find my perspective there.
    Do you agree that something has to be 'logical' and 'make sense' for you to believe it? Aren't you the one that decides whether or not something is 'logical' and 'makes sense'? I agree that you cannot force yourself to believe something that you have already decided doesn't make sense. But surely the decision was yours.
  9. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    28 Sep '16 07:59
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Do you agree that something has to be 'logical' and 'make sense' for you to believe it? Aren't you the one that decides whether or not something is 'logical' and 'makes sense'? I agree that you cannot force yourself to believe something that you have already decided doesn't make sense. But surely the decision was yours.
    Already asked. And answered. As you well know. I think you are just taking the piss. Again. 😉
  10. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    28 Sep '16 08:011 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Already asked. And answered. As you well know. I think you are just taking the piss. Again. 😉
    Dodged before, dodged again. I think you are dodging. Again. 😉
  11. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    28 Sep '16 08:14
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Dodged before, dodged again. I think you are dodging. Again. 😉
    Maybe so. Yes. Maybe that's exactly what's happening here.
  12. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    28 Sep '16 08:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    Maybe so. Yes. Maybe that's exactly what's happening here.
    Maybe... Still deciding what you believe ey? 😛
  13. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    28 Sep '16 08:33
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Maybe... Still deciding what you believe ey? 😛
    I refer you back to the long and detailed conversations we had on more than one thread. It was only last August and earlier this month.
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    28 Sep '16 08:40
    I believe that some people think that believing doesn't involve thinking. I think they believe that thinking doesn't involve believing.
  15. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    28 Sep '16 08:47
    Originally posted by apathist
    I believe that some people think that believing doesn't involve thinking. I think they believe that thinking doesn't involve believing.
    I can't say I can recall anyone on this forum taking these stances. Maybe you're right though. In the last couple of months we have been discussing belief - as in faith - right? Which is, to my way of thinking, here on this forum especially, belief or faith in supernatural beings or in religious doctrines or theories about supernatural phenomena based on "spiritual apprehension" (or expectation of divine things hoped for) - rather than on proof or evidence.
Back to Top