1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 Oct '16 19:33
    Originally posted by apathist
    [quote]Originally posted by LemonJello
    [b]... Again, my view is that, generally speaking, deliberative belief formation is handcuffed to cognitive verisimilitude; and, again generally speaking, that is in turn not within one’s control. ...

But 'deliberative belief formation' is certainly within one's cont ...[text shortened]... personal attacks instead of honest discussion. But whatever, as long as everyone is having fun.[/b]
    How shocking: you failed to explicitly state the contradiction.
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    06 Oct '16 09:071 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    How shocking: you failed to explicitly state the contradiction.
    I did state the contradiction, next to last paragraph in post you just responded to.

I'll make it more explicit for you:

P= 'deliberative belief formation' is certainly within one's control
    ~P= deliberative belief formation is handcuffed to cognitive verisimilitude; and, again generally speaking, that is in turn not within one’s control

The first is my words, the second is yours.

You had said that deliberation is evaluating theoretical reasons in relation to propositional truth. ..., inasmuch as belief is a propositional attitude wherein one takes some proposition to be true, or at least likely true beyond a certain level of credence.

'Evaluating' involves whatever set of standards we decide to use, so its a willed act, hence the P.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Oct '16 14:051 edit
    Three Minutes. I challenge the readers to watch just three to five minutes of Christian philosopher J P Moreland on IMO if you're at all open minded or a true free thinker, you'll want to hear him out more.

IMO any really seeking person should want to hear Dr. Moreland out a little more in his very agreeable style as a theist.

The Case for God pt 1 | J. P. Moreland, PhD

YouTube
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    06 Oct '16 14:25
    I did state the contradiction, next to last paragraph in post you just responded to.

I'll make it more explicit for you:

P= 'deliberative belief formation' is certainly within one's control
    ~P= deliberative belief formation is handcuffed to cognitive verisimilitude; and, again generally speaking, that is in turn not within one’s control

The firs ...[text shortened]... g' involves whatever set of standards we [b]decide
    to use, so its a willed act, hence the P.[/b]
    What LJ said was that the outcome of the deliberation is outside one's control. There is not a contradiction between "Deliberative belief formation is within one's control" and "The outcome of such belief formation (whether the proposition is believed or not) is tied to 'cognitive versimilitude' and so not entirely within one's control.". It's like an experiment to confirm a theory. The experiment is within the experimenter's control, but the outcome of the experiment depends on the properties of the subject of the experiment and for an unbiased experiment should be outside the experimenter's control. So what you have as ¬P does not reflect what LJ said.
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    07 Oct '16 03:35
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    What LJ said was that the outcome of the deliberation is outside one's control. There is not a contradiction between "Deliberative belief formation is within one's control" and "The outcome of such belief formation (whether the proposition is believed or not) is tied to 'cognitive versimilitude' and so not entirely within one's control.". ...
    I agreed the outcome is not guaranteed. If 'deliberative belief formation' is within one's control as you say, why does that change because 'cognitive versimilitude' is 'handcuffed' to it?

The contradiction exists, unless her words were ambiguous. Which is entirely possible that i a stupid responder misinterpreted.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree