Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Sep '16 21:55
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    One of these sentences is true, whichever one it is, it is not provable:

There is a God.
    There is not a God.

Justification is not proof, if I can prove some proposition true then the proof provides justification. I don't think that the justification need necessarily be at the level of proof. If you saw someone lying down with their eyes closed y ...[text shortened]... e claim seems unreasonable. In a different scenario one may want a more rigorous justification.
    Not being provable rests on what? Acceptable data? Acceptable testimony? Acceptable
    evidence which could vary from person to person?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    30 Sep '16 22:19
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Not being provable rests on what? Acceptable data? Acceptable testimony? Acceptable
    evidence which could vary from person to person?
    Since we are using the word provable I'd say the evidence should convince a skeptical unbiased audience.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    30 Sep '16 23:101 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    If you didn't want the details of my view, then you shouldn't have bothered to ask. It's not surprising to me that you have no substantive response because, let's be honest, your first jab at my position was totally disingenuous. If you were genuinely interested in some clarification, you would have simply asked in kind. But you didn't simply ask for cl ...[text shortened]... rative. Was your style there, especially since it embeds insult, intended as a point in itself?
    No, I saw a contradiction and pointed it out. The rest is from your imagination.
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    30 Sep '16 23:19
    Originally posted by DeepThought... We produce an instant instinctive response, in so far as free will is involved it can only involve training our instincts in advance.
    Sometimes that's the case, yes.

Essentially what you've argued is that we choose what we find plausible,
    Sometimes that's the case, yes. We all do this, by deciding what sort of justification to accept.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 02:03
    Since we are using the word provable I'd say the evidence should convince a skeptical unbiased audience.
    Oh many skeptical unbiased audience have you ever seen? 🙂
  6. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 04:542 edits
    How do you prove that a skeptical audience is unbiased? 😉
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 06:01
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Oh many skeptical unbiased audience have you ever seen? 🙂
    Sorry that should have read, "How many skeptical unbiased audience have you ever seen? 🙂" Brainfart my part.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 07:58
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    If you are not a religious poster then what are you?
    Another non-sequitur from you and typical of the sort of post that has got you into the scrapes you have found yourself in.

I've not said that I am not a religious poster, nor that I am a religious poster.
  9. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 10:121 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Another non-sequitur from you and typical of the sort of post that has got you into the scrapes you have found yourself in.

I've not said that I am not a religious poster, nor that I am a religious poster.
    Either you are a religious poster or you are not. So which is it? FMFs puppet?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 10:31
    Now you are just getting upset because I am unmoved by your non-sequiturs and low-brow philosophising.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 10:361 edit
    Interesting to find you resort to appropriating some of the dreary General Forum "banter". Will be you asking if I own the site next? Or if I have the power to "silence" people or ban them from the forums. Or asking whether divegeester and I are homosexuals? Or insinuating that I am a pedophile? Or asking me if I was sexually abused as a child? What other banter are you going to appropriate for yourself?

How can you have been posting so long here and not have worked out that divegeester is religious and I am not, that divegeester believes in the Christian God figure and I do not, that divegeester believes that Jesus is his "saviour" and that I do not, that he turned into a Christian and I turned into a non-Christian?

Can you really not discern any of this? Frankly, it seems quite bizarre. It also seems quite bizarre that your own Christian 'ministry' here, such as it is, can have stooped - so quickly - to parrotting some of the dullest, silly comments that other people come out with.

Is that really how you see yourself as an independent poster here? In the same part of the Venn diagram as the likes of chaney3, robbie, Seitse and Suzianne? Is that the audience you choose for your own unoriginal "banter"? Why set your sights so low? 😛
  12. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 14:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    Interesting to find you resort to appropriating some of the dreary General Forum "banter". Will be you asking if I own the site next? Or if I have the power to "silence" people or ban them from the forums. Or asking whether divegeester and I are homosexuals? Or insinuating that I am a pedophile? Or asking me if I was sexually abused as a child? What other banter ...[text shortened]... Is that the audience you choose for your own unoriginal "banter"? Why set your sights so low? 😛
    If the Geester is religious, then the million dollar questions are why is he so condescending towards other religious people? And why can't he stand up for his own beliefs? And why did he call himself your lapdog?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 14:49
    ...why did divegeester call himself your lapdog?
    Probably because he was taking the piss out of the 'can't-think-of-any-better-gags-so-we'll-just-say-the same-things-over-and-over-and-over-again' Forum "banter" that you've now chosen to jump on board with.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 14:51
    If the Geester is religious, then the million dollar questions are why is he so condescending towards other religious people?
    If you think he's "condescending towards other religious people", then you go for it. Don't come to me for reassurance or support or analysis.
  15. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Oct '16 14:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    Probably because he was taking the piss out of the 'can't-think-of-any-better-gags-so-we'll-just-say-the same-things-over-and-over-and-over-again' Forum "banter" that you've now chosen to jump on board with.
    Yes agreed if he is just taking the piss then he fittingly deserves a spot on your lap.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree