1. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 19:15
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    All issues dealt with in the video I linked.
    I have watched it before when it came up in the past. However, not all biological classifications do follow the 'common ancestor' system. We do have a 'common ancestor' system with latin names.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 20:27
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    I've met a few people who've stated that they don't drink alcohol (anymore) because if they start drinking they won't stop. This was after they very proudly proclaimed not to drink.

Not sure about your social life, but for me any perceived "peer pressure" to drink stopped pretty much when I became a grown-up - around 20 years old.

If you perceiv ...[text shortened]... o drink as an adult, then perhaps you should worry a little less about what others think of you.
    Actually its very common [to the extent that everyone I know who doesn't drink has experienced this,
    as have I, and it's frequently brought up in news/magazine articles] for those that don't drink to meet
    hostility and be subject to hostile questioning by those that do drink when they discover that you don't.

I don't give in to, or give a crap about, peer pressure and never have. However I can still recognise when
    it's there. That you have apparently been lucky enough to avoid it does not mean it doesn't exist.

Perhaps you should assume less about other peoples personal lives before posting.
  3. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 20:33
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Neither are the official biological terms.

And fish according to Wikipedia is a paraphyletic group
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish

Monkeys normally include two groups: old world monkeys and new world monkeys. The old world monkeys specifically excludes apes largely for traditional reasons.

The ape category is less clear cut as categorizing man as a 'great ape' has precedence, but even so, tradition excludes humans.
    No, hominids (apes) are hominoideas, which are excluded from the definition of monkeys because of how our shoulder joints work. Thanks to these few posts with gf I'm up to speed on this. Funny, the path of learning sometimes. 🙂
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 20:40
    thee idea that all living things spontaneously generated from non living matter in a pre biotic soup is ridiculous to say the least and amounts to nothing more than an atheistic creation myth even more fantastic than the Genesis account. Seriously let reality set in.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 20:43
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    thee idea that all living things spontaneously generated from non living matter in a pre biotic soup is ridiculous to say the least and amounts to nothing more than an atheistic creation myth even more fantastic than the Genesis account. Seriously let reality set in.
    Says the man who admits to being 'closed minded' and 'ignorant' on the topic. Seriously, let reality set in.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 20:481 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Says the man who admits to being 'closed minded' and 'ignorant' on the topic. Seriously, let reality set in.
    Says the man who hasn't even read Darwin's outrageous tome! I guess if anyone knows ignorance its gotta be you. Just let reality set in, seriously.
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 20:51
    Says the man who hasn't even read Darwin's outrageous tome! I guess if anyone knows ignorance its gotta be you. Just let reality set in, seriously.
    What does my non reading of Darwins book have to do with your self induced ignorance of the topic you are trying to wade into?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 21:311 edit
    What does my non reading of Darwins book have to do with your self induced ignorance of the topic you are trying to wade into?
    My self induced ignorance as far as Darwins damnable tome goes outweighs your alleged erudition, thats what - ahhh reality, thank you for setting in, seriously, please seek a bum feeling for all atheists concerned, reality must be brought to bear on them.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 21:46
    My self induced ignorance as far as Darwins damnable tome goes outweighs your alleged erudition, thats what - ahhh reality, thank you for setting in, seriously, please seek a bum feeling for all atheists concerned, reality must be brought to bear on them.
    What are you chuntering on about? What does me not having read Darwins book have to do with anything?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 22:101 edit
    What are you chuntering on about? What does me not having read Darwins book have to do with anything?
    Chuntering? what kind of word is that? Hee hee, its funny. Anyway, you claim that I have a self induced ignorance and yet as far as Darwin's damnable tome goes I am clearly more informed than you, how does that reflect upon any claims of erudition that you may make?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 03:501 edit
    Chuntering? what kind of word is that? Hee hee, its funny. Anyway, you claim that I have a self induced ignorance and yet as far as Darwin's damnable tome goes I am clearly more informed than you, how does that reflect upon any claims of erudition that you may make?
    Just out of curiosity, since you read Darwin's 'damnable tome', how do YOU explain Darwin's finches? Or convergent evolution, where species not related have similar body parts? Or divergent evolution:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergent_evolution
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 04:48
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Just out of curiosity, since you read Darwin's 'damnable tome', how do YOU explain Darwin's finches? Or convergent evolution, where species not related have similar body parts? Or divergent evolution:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergent_evolution
    Charles Darwin - Galapagos Finches

YouTube
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 05:53
    Originally posted by C Hess
    No, hominids (apes) are hominoideas, which are excluded from the definition of monkeys because of how our shoulder joints work.
    Nevertheless, it is for traditional reasons. If the categories were drawn up again today, apes would not be in a separate category - or old and new world monkeys would be separated and apes would be just one of several groups in old world monkeys.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 06:00
    It doesn't reflect upon his claims in any way. You remain self admittedly ignorant of the subject in question. Your claim that the idea of abiogenesis is ridiculous hold no weight given that you do not understand the subject matter, and do not want to understand it.
  15. Germany
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 06:38
    Originally posted by whodey
    This is the best comeback to an Atheist that I have seen in decades.

When an atheist called him a "moron" for believing
    in God, Dr. Ben Carson responded with one brilliant line that
    put the atheist in his place.

"I believe I came from God, and you believe you came from a
    monkey," he told the individual, "and you've convinced me
    you're right."
    It's comforting to know you haven't visited a playground in decades.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree