1. Germany
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 06:41
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Chuntering? what kind of word is that? Hee hee, its funny. Anyway, you claim that I have a self induced ignorance and yet as far as Darwin's damnable tome goes I am clearly more informed than you, how does that reflect upon any claims of erudition that you may make?
    I know this is hard to believe, but The Origin of Species is not a religious tome or holy scripture. I am a trained physicist and I have never read Newton's Principia.
  2. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 08:051 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Nevertheless, it is for traditional reasons. If the categories were drawn up again today, apes would not be in a separate category - or old and new world monkeys would be separated and apes would be just one of several groups in old world monkeys.
    It's all a mess, really. Taxonomy in biology quickly becomes an excercise in creating the illusion of classified order in a system that is essentially a gradient chaos. If we started from scratch, we'd probably only classify according to major monophyletic groups, and no doubt debate endlessly as to what makes a monophyletic group "major". Whether or not brachiation would have been considered novel enough to warrant all species (within this monophyletic group) that have the ability to brachiate to be classified separately, who knows? Monkey would probably not be part of such a classification system, as it really doesn't denote a specific trait, it's rather arbitrary what trait we should associate with the word monkey.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 08:20
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I know this is hard to believe, but The Origin of Species is not a religious tome or holy scripture. I am a trained physicist and I have never read Newton's Principia.
    Charlatan!
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 18:151 edit
    Chuntering? what kind of word is that? Hee hee, its funny. Anyway, you claim that I have a self induced ignorance and yet as far as Darwin's damnable tome goes I am clearly more informed than you, how does that reflect upon any claims of erudition that you may make?
    I don't 'claim' you have a self induced ignorance on this topic, you have 'admitted' it on this very forum. The text is there for all and sundry to see and you have done nothing to change this position of yours since. Apart from lying about your reasons for fessing up in the first place.

I also don't really understand your fascination with Darwins book? Do you view it as some sort of religious text for atheists? Because if you do you are without doubt 'wired to the moon' and need to be brought back to some semblance of reality. Or is it that because you have read parts of the book and I haven't this gives you some sort of 'one-up-man-ship' in your 'wired to the moon' brain? If this is the case then you need to be brought down to some semblance of reality again. Only someone as daft as you could repeatedly wade into previous discussions concerning evolutionary biology and haver on about 'transmutation of the species' time and time again, which is a theory which went out of fashion TWO CENTURIES AGO!!!!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 18:221 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I don't 'claim' you have a self induced ignorance on this topic, you have 'admitted' it on this very forum. The text is there for all and sundry to see and you have done nothing to change this position of yours since. Apart from lying about your reasons for fessing up in the first place.

I also don't really understand your fascination with Darwins boo ...[text shortened]... species' time and time again, which is a theory which went out of fashion TWO CENTURIES AGO!!!!
    yes that and all of those things 😵 Thanks for the fashion advice 😀
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 10:58
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The intelligent ones don't believe it, but they like to try to convince others that it is the truth.
    You really are an assshole. NOBODY but creationists claim man came from monkeys. Atheists NEVER say that. ONLY creationist asssholes.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 11:251 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Actually its very common [to the extent that everyone I know who doesn't drink has experienced this,
    as have I, and it's frequently brought up in news/magazine articles] for those that don't drink to meet
    hostility and be subject to hostile questioning by those that do drink when they discover that you don't.

I don't give in to, or give a crap abo ...[text shortened]... n't exist.

Perhaps you should assume less about other peoples personal lives before posting.
    I think you're talking enormous BS when you say it's "very common" to "meet hostility" and be subject to "hostile questioning".

Perhaps you need to grow a thicker skin? Perhaps there is a relationship between not drinking alcohol and being easily shaken up by an innocent question. Perhaps something similar is true for vegans.

And if one does indeed find oneself in such a situation then one needs to reconsider one's social circle.

Why don't you drink alcohol?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 11:551 edit
    I am Vegan and would advise that all Vegans drink homemade beer as its an excellent source of Vitamin B. Commercial brewer's pasteurise their beer and all the wholesome goodness gets sacrificed for purely reasons of presentation. Vitamin B is difficult to get in enough quantity from elsewhere except of course vitamin supplements and homemade beer is an excellent solution. :-D
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 12:22
    I am Vegan and would advise that all Vegans drink homemade beer as its an excellent source of Vitamin B. Commercial brewer's pasteurise their beer and all the wholesome goodness gets sacrificed for purely reasons of presentation. Vitamin B is difficult to get in enough quantity from elsewhere except of course vitamin supplements and homemade beer is an excellent solution. :-D
    I drink a local lager so I suppose I can get the vitamin B by just eating some yeast.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 12:23
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Charles Darwin - Galapagos Finches

[youtube]2k2UxiHREUM[/youtube]
    I was talking to Robbie.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 14:40
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I drink a local lager so I suppose I can get the vitamin B by just eating some yeast.
    If it has yeast in it then yes, some Belgian public houses offer you the yeast separate should you want to consume it. A local lager? what kind of lager?
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 14:43
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    I think you're talking enormous BS when you say it's "very common" to "meet hostility" and be subject to "hostile questioning".

Perhaps you need to grow a thicker skin? Perhaps there is a relationship between not drinking alcohol and being easily shaken up by an innocent question. Perhaps something similar is true for vegans.

And if one does i ...[text shortened]... ch a situation then one needs to reconsider one's social circle.

Um, yeah, the hostility I'm talking about... Read your own damn posts.

People can get very uptight when they encounter people who don't drink because THEY
    are insecure about the fact that they drink.

And again, I do have a thick skin. However the fact that I am unmoved by pressure doesn't mean
    I can't tell it's there.

None of your f'ing business.
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 14:58
    Um, yeah, the hostility I'm talking about... Read your own damn posts.

People can get very uptight when they encounter people who don't drink because THEY

And again, I do have a thick skin. However the fact that I am unmoved by pressure doesn't mean
    I can't tell it's there.

Nah. The fact that you consider my post hostile pretty much shows you have virtually no skin, let alone a thick one. As I suspected.

People can get very uptight when they encounter people who don't drink because THEY are insecure about the fact that they drink.

Are you making assumptions? Or are you simply projecting?

Talk about hostility. My question was one of sincere curiosity. You becoming so ultra defensive really should tell you something about your own state of mind. And of course you're right; it's not my business. You could've easily said, I don't want to talk about it. But you're a bit to uptight (nice word) about alcohol it seems to speak about it normally.
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 15:081 edit
    There's a battle here. Some posters are trying to make less sense than Creationists.

The important question: does Ben Carson drink? Can a US President do his or her job without Jefferson's wine cellar?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 16:252 edits
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    There's a battle here. Some posters are trying to make less sense than Creationists.

The important question: does Ben Carson drink? Can a US President do his or her job without Jefferson's wine cellar?
    Jefferson also made beer, gallons of it! and published some recipes I am led to believe. Anne of Cleves Henry VIII fourth wife used to quaff pints of British ale, she loved the stuff, after her divorce she rode around drinking gallons! Used to pop in to see Henry now and then and then was off again! Quaffing on her merry way!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree