1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 23:59
    One day the zoo-keeper noticed that the orangutan was reading two books - the Bible and Darwin's Origin of Species. Surprised, he asked the ape, "Why are you reading both those books?" "Well," said the orangutan, "I just wanted to know if I was my brother's keeper or my keeper's brother."

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/religiousjokes/atheistjokes.html
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 01:32
    Originally posted by JS357
    One day the zoo-keeper noticed that the orangutan was reading two books - the Bible and Darwin's Origin of Species. Surprised, he asked the ape, "Why are you reading both those books?" "Well," said the orangutan, "I just wanted to know if I was my brother's keeper or my keeper's brother."

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/religiousjokes/atheistjokes.html
    "An atheist, a vegan and a feminist walked into a bar. I only know because they told everyone within two minutes."

Source unknown.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 05:551 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    "An atheist, a vegan and a feminist walked into a bar. I only know because they told everyone within two minutes."

Source unknown.
    In my own experience atheists are far less likely than theists to advertize their religious beliefs or lack thereof. Of course there are exceptions.
  4. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 08:002 edits
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Actually if you use a phylogenetic definition of monkey, we ARE monkeys...
    By that definition we're also fishes. Since all traits that makes fish living possible (gills, scales, fins, etc.) are buried in our junk DNA as unexpressed pseudo genes, we wouldn't call ourselves fish anymore. We would say we are an evolved (as in different, not higher form of) species. We have distant ancestors who could be classified as fishes. Similarly, we are not members of a tree-living, tail-endowed monkey species, but several ancestor species removed from such a species. We are in fact members of the hominid family of species, and as you rightly point out, no monkey ever gave birth to a human.

Knowing all this, Carson's comeback comes across as an ironical and amusing case in point for the accusation: he is indeed a moron.
  5. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 08:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    This is the best comeback to an Atheist that I have seen in decades.

When an atheist called him a "moron" for believing
    in God, Dr. Ben Carson responded with one brilliant line that
    put the atheist in his place.

"I believe I came from God, and you believe you came from a
    monkey," he told the individual, "and you've convinced me
    you're right."
    When and where did this conversation take place?
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 09:06
    Originally posted by vivify

Source unknown.
    Haha.

Same is true for many people that don't drink alcohol.

So you don't drink alcohol because you have no self control. Now what, you want a medal?
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 12:44
    Originally posted by C Hess
    By that definition we're also fishes. Since all traits that makes fish living possible (gills, scales, fins, etc.) are buried in our junk DNA as unexpressed pseudo genes, we wouldn't call ourselves fish anymore. We would say we are an evolved (as in different, not higher form of) species. We have distant ancestors who could be classified as fishes. Similarly, ...[text shortened]... comes across as an ironical and amusing case in point for the accusation: he is indeed a moron.
    Fish is not a phylogenetic category. Monkey's are.

Turns out we DID come from monkeys! by AronRa
    YouTube
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 12:48
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Haha.

Same is true for many people that don't drink alcohol.

So you don't drink alcohol because you have no self control. Now what, you want a medal?
    Why do you think that a person would be tee-total because they LACK self control???

Also people who don't drink tend to be reluctant to admit this due to the huge peer pressure to drink.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 15:36
    Neither are the official biological terms.

And fish according to Wikipedia is a paraphyletic group
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish

Monkeys normally include two groups: old world monkeys and new world monkeys. The old world monkeys specifically excludes apes largely for traditional reasons.

The ape category is less clear cut as categorizing man as a 'great ape' has precedence, but even so, tradition excludes humans.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 16:33
    Originally posted by C Hess
    When and where did this conversation take place?
    What does it matter?

What matters is that some people have the inability to treat others with respect, so they will likewise be treated.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 16:521 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Neither are the official biological terms.

And fish according to Wikipedia is a paraphyletic group
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish

Monkeys normally include two groups: old world monkeys and new world monkeys. The old world monkeys specifically excludes apes largely for traditional reasons.

The ape category is less clear cut as categorizing man as a 'great ape' has precedence, but even so, tradition excludes humans.
    All issues dealt with in the video I linked.

Monkeys normally include two groups: old world monkeys and new world monkeys

Yes, and the common ancestor for both, which was our ancestor, was also a monkey.
    Therefore, we must also be monkeys.
  12. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 17:422 edits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-dMqEbSk8
    Fish is not a phylogenetic category.

I see what you mean by phylogenetic category now. It's called a monophyletic group. Fish is a paraphyletic group. Our distant common ancestor (with modern fishes) would be classified as fish.

Monkey's are.

The current definition of monkey (which I got wrong, by the way - it's all about the nose apparently), excludes hominids* (apes) because of our shoulders (also news to me), so "monkey", like "fish", is a paraphyletic group.

While AronRa presents a good argument for why he thinks hominids should be included in the definition of monkey, thus making "monkey" a monophyletic group, he completely ignores why scientists have classified hominids as different from monkeys.

In any case, to say that we come from monkeys is only true if by "we" you mean "hominids" and by "monkeys" you mean "old world monkeys". But I take it that by "we" you're talking about the modern human species (homo sapiens sapiens), and we are several hominid species removed from old world monkeys.

Not that any of this really matters I suppose. I'd be perfectly happy to refer to myself as a monkey. It's just that... I'm not. I'm more monkey than fish, certainly, but I'm neither monkey nor fish; I'm an homonid, like my chimpanzee brothers. 😏

* Sorry, that's hominoidea, which includes hominids. I had no idea our own clades had become so confusing.
  13. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 17:452 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    What does it matter?
    I was curious. I thought maybe it was a debate of some sort, and I love debates. I would have enjoyed reading, listening, or seeing the whole conversation.
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 18:26
    Why do you think that a person would be tee-total because they LACK self control???

Also people who don't drink tend to be reluctant to admit this due to the huge peer pressure to drink.
    I've met a few people who've stated that they don't drink alcohol (anymore) because if they start drinking they won't stop. This was after they very proudly proclaimed not to drink.

Not sure about your social life, but for me any perceived "peer pressure" to drink stopped pretty much when I became a grown-up - around 20 years old.

If you perceive peer pressure to drink as an adult, then perhaps you should worry a little less about what others think of you.
  15. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 18:31
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    I've met a few people who've stated that they don't drink alcohol (anymore) because if they start drinking they won't stop. This was after they very proudly proclaimed not to drink.

Not sure about your social life, but for me any perceived "peer pressure" to drink stopped pretty much when I became a grown-up - around 20 years old.

If you perceiv ...[text shortened]... o drink as an adult, then perhaps you should worry a little less about what others think of you.
    For me, it's beer pressure. 😳

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree