1. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 20:04
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Jefferson also made beer, gallons of it! and published some recipes I am led to believe. Anne of Cleves Henry VIII fourth wife used to quaff pints of British ale, she loved the stuff, after her divorce she rode around drinking gallons! Used to pop in to see Henry now and then and then was off again! Quaffing on her merry way!
    It's something of a pity sir you didn't live around the time of Anne of Cleves. She apparently wasn't much of a looker, so even you would have had a shot.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 20:121 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    It's something of a pity sir you didn't live around the time of Anne of Cleves. She apparently wasn't much of a looker, so even you would have had a shot.
    Well I dunno, her portraits are not that flattering but looks aren't everything, she sounds as though she had a bubbly personality, i mean whats the point of marrying a gorgeous babe if she's griping all the time about playing chess and drinking beer! I bet Anne was loads a' fun! Actually she was one of the few wives that left on amicable terms for it was rumored that Henry was unable to consummate the marriage, such was his apathy towards her.
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 20:22
    Well I dunno, her portraits are not that flattering but looks aren't everything, she sounds as though she had a bubbly personality, i mean whats the point of marrying a gorgeous babe if she's griping all the time about playing chess and drinking beer! I bet Anne was loads a' fun! Actually she was one of the few wives that left on amicable terms for ...[text shortened]... t was rumored that Henry was unable to consummate the marriage, such was his apathy towards her.
    Henry didn't like her long nose and heavy eyelids, but didn't seem to mind Anne Boleyn having an extra finger.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 21:23
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Henry didn't like her long nose and heavy eyelids, but didn't seem to mind Anne Boleyn having an extra finger.
    Henry was duped by a wee bit of photoshoping of the day by being shown an overly flattering portrait when she arrived in the flesh he was forced for political reasons to Marry her. Then again Henry was no looker himself!
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 21:43
    I am Vegan and would advise that all Vegans drink homemade
    beer as its an excellent source of Vitamin B. .... Vitamin B is difficult
    to get in enough quantity from elsewhere except of course vitamin
    supplements and homemade beer is an excellent solution. :-D
    have only one thing to say to you Robbie:-

MARMITE
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 22:08
    I seem to remember that Luther’s wife Katie was also an well-known “ale wife”. In fact, I think it was her beer brewing that kept the household afloat (so to speak).

Lots of people don’t drink alcoholic beverages for many and various reasons. And both drinkers and nondrinkers seem to be able—and willing—to put the other on the defensive for reasons that escape me (having been in both groups).
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 22:32
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I seem to remember that Luther’s wife Katie was also an well-known “ale wife”. In fact, I think it was her beer brewing that kept the household afloat (so to speak).

Lots of people don’t drink alcoholic beverages for many and various reasons. And both drinkers and nondrinkers seem to be able—and willing—to put the other on the defensive for reasons that escape me (having been in both groups).
    Its a human trait I believe, if you are not one of us. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree