bible science

bible science

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
08 May 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
There is no worldwide flood every year, Doofus.
when soddom and gammorah were allegedly destoryed, lot and his daughters thought the entire world was destroyed.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 May 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
when soddom and gammorah were allegedly destoryed, lot and his daughters thought the entire world was destroyed.
so what? The worldwide flood of Noah's time lasted so long that Noah and his family stayed in the ark boat for one whole year. That had to be more than just a local flood.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
09 May 12

so what? The worldwide flood of Noah's time lasted so long that Noah and his family stayed in the ark boat for one whole year. That had to be more than just a local flood.
it's a demonstrative story. local calamities can seem to have a global range from a local perspective. the story of noah is just that. a story. a rehash of a sumerian flood story to be exact. this was demonstrated conclusively earlier. of course, it was beyond your capacity to understand so your confusion on the subject is to be expected.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 May 12

it's a demonstrative story. local calamities can seem to have a global range from a local perspective. the story of noah is just that. a story. a rehash of a sumerian flood story to be exact. this was demonstrated conclusively earlier. of course, it was beyond your capacity to understand so your confusion on the subject is to be expected.
You are hopeless.

w

Moves
09 May 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit
The key word here is [b]myth. I daresay the ancient peoples knew full well that myths tend to be great exaggerations at best. They probably knew that there had been no actual flood, for example, that was so high that it covered the highest of mountains, even in a local area. The same cannot be said of today's Biblical literalists.[/b]
Brush it aside if you must, but I think it a mistake. I think the fact that all ancient cultures discuss a "Great Flood" is significant.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
09 May 12
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
Brush it aside if you must, but I think it a mistake. I think the fact that all ancient cultures discuss a "Great Flood" is significant.
Yeah, there are apparently a ton of flood myths, and they seem to all be ridiculous if you take them literally. Nevertheless, I thank you for directing my attention to the topic. I found this:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/flood-myths.html
My favorite one:
Samo-Kubo (western Papua New Guinea):

People made the lizards angry first by making a lot of noise and then by teasing them. Finally, the people incurred the wrath of the Lizard Man, who caused it to rain for days, and the water rose. People climbed to the highest mountain, but still the rain came and the water rose higher. People were drowning. Two brothers built a small raft and climbed aboard. Others tried to climb on with them, but the raft held only two. The two brothers floated off, and only they survived the flood. [LaHaye & Morris, p. 231]
Beware the fearsome wrath of the Lizard Man! 😀 Oh, and apparently they're all descendants of two guys. 😛

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 May 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Yeah, there are apparently a ton of flood myths, and they seem to all be ridiculous if you take them literally. Nevertheless, I thank you for directing my attention to the topic. I found this:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/flood-myths.html
My favorite one:[quote]Samo-Kubo (western Papua New Guinea):

People made the lizards angry fir ...[text shortened]... fearsome wrath of the Lizard Man! 😀 Oh, and apparently they're all descendants of two guys. 😛
When stories are passed on by word of mouth it is very likely the story is going to get distorted over time. The Lizard man may be a reference to Satan as the serpent in the Garden of Eden mixed up with the flood that covered the mountains and the ark turned into a raft along the way before someone took the time to write it down. With the peoples languages being confounded by God and they were scattered all over the earth the story could have been almost anything. But I believe God provided the true account to Moses so He could write it down correctly. This belief is due to faith; but without faith it is impossibe to please God.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
09 May 12

You are hopeless.
i've shown you an example from your own bible how a local calamity can appear to be a global one from the perspective of those who survive it. if you cannot understand this very basic concept, you are the one without hope.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 May 12
1 edit

i've shown you an example from your own bible how a local calamity can appear to be a global one from the perspective of those who survive it. if you cannot understand this very basic concept, you are the one without hope.
I understand that. But the flood situation is difference because of the time factor. We have never had a local flood that was so large that the people could see no land for many months and the boat they were in finally came to rest on a high mountain after a whole year of the water subsiding.

P.S. This localized flood theory that happened all over the world just doesn't cut the mustard.

Moves
09 May 12

I understand that. But the flood situation is difference because of the time factor. We have never had a local flood that was so large that the people could see no land for many months and the boat they were in finally came to rest on a high mountain after a whole year of the water subsiding.
We have never had a worldwide flood as you describe it period.

And while many different peoples have flood myths in their mythology it is far from true to
say that they all do.

The is not enough water either in or on the surface of the earth to cover the entire surface deep
enough to cover any mountain let alone all of them.

Melting all the worlds ice sheets and thermal expansion can put something between 80~120 meters on
current sea levels.

That's it.

To get more than that you have to magically appear many millions of cubic Km of water and then vanish it
again without leaving a single solitary trace.

There is no evidence of a population pinch in the last 10,000 years, there is a record of a population bottle neck
for humans about 70,000 yrs ago, where we were reduced to one or two thousand individuals, but that bottleneck
does not appear in other great apes, nor the rest of the worlds flora and fauna, meaning it was a human specific
event and not caused by a cataclysm like your 'great flood'.

Also If you think it's possible to on your own with no modern technology build a boat out of wood and then fill it with
at least two of every animal species on the planet collected by you personally from every corner of the globe and then
after spending a year looking after them in a boat taking them all back.....

Then in the spirit of Eddie Izzard ... I suggest you try it...

If you think that it's possible to do then try it, we all need a good laugh and it will be thoroughly entertaining watching you
get eaten by an angry lion or ripped apart by a grizzly bear as you try to capture and transport it without tranquillisers, guns,
anything made out of steel, or really much of any metal as metal was really really expensive back then. No compass, no maps,
no radios, no anything invented in the last 4000 yrs...

Have someone follow and film you and post the results on youtube... It'll be a hit I guarantee it.

Try it.

It's not possible to do.

It's a fairy tale.

And a rather unpleasant one at that.

The flood didn't happen, and as someone recently said, anyone who can't tell that the 'great flood' of the bible isn't a
fairy tale and is not true, does not have an opinion worth listening to as they have no noticeable grip on or concept of reality.

Moves
09 May 12

Originally posted by googlefudge

And while many different peoples have flood myths in their mythology it is far from true to
say that they all do.

The is not enough water either in or on the surface of the earth to cover the entire surface deep

Melting all ...[text shortened]... pinion worth listening to as they have no noticeable grip on or concept of reality.
if there are only two of each animal how does the bible explain the inbreeding problems that would result in that.

lets pretend that noah does get them all on and gets enough food to feed them all for a while - what do the animals eat when they are let free again?????????? there is no meat for the carnivores, unless they hunt down the other animals from the ark, but every time they have a meal they wipe out a whole species!!! the herbivores would have to re-populate at a much quicker rate than the carnivores just to provide a sustainable food system.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 May 12
1 edit

Originally posted by googlefudge

say that they all do.

Melting all pinion worth listening to as they have no noticeable grip on or concept of reality.
The topogrphy of all areas of the earth is not known for that time and you can't use what we know today because we don't not know how much it has changed since then. The Holy Bible says the dividing of the land took place after the flood and we have had many earthquakes and volcanic eruptions that would have caused many unknow changes. It is only speculation then to say how much water it would take to cover the land when we have no knowledge of the topography at the time of Noah's flood. There was no people on the Earth 70,000 years ago, so that argument won't work. Noah would not have to be looking for the animals to put on the ark because I believe God would bring the animals to Noah just like he did for Adam. Noah had the best boat builder in the world to advice him on how to build the ark. Today one would have to hope he understood the building plan recorded in the Holy Bible. But there is one man trying.

http://cubiclebot.com/news/dutch-builder-creates-full-scale-seaworthy-reproduction-of-noahs-ark/

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
10 May 12

P.S. This localized flood theory that happened all over the world just doesn't cut the mustard.
next you need to be introduced to the concept of growing legends.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 May 12

next you need to be introduced to the concept of growing legends.
You mean about the one that says evolution is a fact?

Moves
13 May 12

You mean about the one that says evolution is a fact?
http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?subject=Does_the_Earth_really_rotate%3F&threadid=146614

If you EVER claim to know more about physics or science than ANYONE (barring perhaps dasa)
on this forum again, I will point you back to this thread and remind you that you know less than
an 11 yr old about how the world works.

Seriously this is stuff I would expect you to have learned in Kindergarten.