1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 May '12 17:45
    a few people on the forum have mentioned what they feel are examples of the bible mentioning scientific theories that we have only just discovered for ourselves.
    in response some of the atheists have argued that its just a case of christians fitting the text to sciences findings retrospectively. i was wondering if the bible mentions any science or points to anything we have not discovered yet.
    are there any scholars on the webs making future predictions about what we will find out about medicine or the universe or geology?
    is the bible spent when it comes what god has shared with us about science?
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    07 May '12 18:39
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    a few people on the forum have mentioned what they feel are examples of the bible mentioning scientific theories that we have only just discovered for ourselves.
    in response some of the atheists have argued that its just a case of christians fitting the text to sciences findings retrospectively. i was wondering if the bible mentions any science or poi ...[text shortened]... niverse or geology?
    Well time will tell on that. We are always learning what the Bible says and only God in the time he wants, lets us understand all that is in it.
    But a scripture in Revelation 20:12 gives us insight that he will share more with us in the future.

Revelation 20:12
    New Living Translation (NLT)

12 "I saw the dead, both great and small, standing before God’s throne. And the books were opened, including the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to what they had done, as recorded in the books".

So we don't know what these books will hold as for as information. We know one will be a book that contains a judgement of life or death, but the others may have information that may hold wonderful things and teach us things we know nothing of now....like how he created life as we know it.
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 May '12 19:45
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Well time will tell on that. We are always learning what the Bible says and only God in the time he wants, lets us understand all that is in it.
    But a scripture in Revelation 20:12 gives us insight that he will share more with us in the future.

Revelation 20:12
    New Living Translation (NLT)

12 "I saw the dead, both great and small, standing befor ...[text shortened]... things and teach us things we know nothing of now....like how he created life as we know it.
    why will time tell? are there parts of the bible that are not yet understood or are there parts that are misunderstood?
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    07 May '12 20:57
    why will time tell? are there parts of the bible that are not yet understood or are there parts that are misunderstood?
    Theologicaly there are many parts that are not understood by most and as you say misunderstood. The Bible makes that clear by saying that only a "few will find the gate and cross on that narrow path" to life.
    But scientifically it appears most things the Bible has described of the physical nature of the world have probably been recognized by most that do actually read and believe in the Bible.
    But the Bible is not done with humans by any means as not all the prophecies of the Bible have been fulfilled. So I don't think anyone can say that all has been explained on any level.
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    07 May '12 21:55
    Bill Nye, the harmless children's edu-tainer known as "The Science Guy," managed to offend a select group of adults in Waco, Texas at a presentation, when he suggested that the moon does not emit light, but instead reflects the light of the sun. As even most elementary-school graduates know, the moon reflects the light of the sun but produces no light of its own. But don't tell that to the good people of Waco, who were "visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence," according to the Waco Tribune. Nye was in town to participate in McLennan Community College's Distinguished Lecture Series. He gave two lectures on such unfunny and adult topics as global warming, Mars exploration, and energy consumption. But nothing got people as riled as when he brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars." The lesser light, he pointed out, is not a light at all, but only a reflector. At this point, several people in the audience stormed out in fury. One woman yelled "We believe in God!" and left with three children, thus ensuring that people across America would read about the incident and conclude that Waco is as nutty as they'd always suspected. This story originally appeared in the Waco Tribune, but the newspaper has mysteriously pulled its story from the online version, presumably to avoid further embarrassment.

http://www.thinkatheist.com/m/blogpost?id=1982180%3ABlogPost%3A44493

Some of the comments below this item debate what happened and may remove some more obvious lines of defence for the god fearing people of Waco.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 May '12 22:31
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Bill Nye, the harmless children's edu-tainer known as "The Science Guy," managed to offend a select group of adults in Waco, Texas at a presentation, when he suggested that the moon does not emit light, but instead reflects the light of the sun. As even most elementary-school graduates know, the moon reflects the light of the sun but produces no light of it ...[text shortened]... nd may remove some more obvious lines of defence for the god fearing people of Waco.
    I can't imagine why a state that has had George W. Bush and Rick Perry as governors would have people like that in it. 😛
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 May '12 22:37
    in response some of the atheists have argued that its just a case of christians fitting the text to sciences findings retrospectively. i was wondering if the bible mentions any science or poi ...[text shortened]... niverse or geology?
    The Bible is not a science book.

This should be obvious to anyone who has read the story of Noah's flood. I'm thinking of adopting this as a litmus test. If you believe that Noah's flood actually happened, I don't take anything you have to say about science seriously.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 May '12 04:322 edits
    Off the top of my head the Bible mentions that this earth, along with the heavens, will come to an end as a new one will be created.

I think science has pointed us in that direction and it was a pretty revolutionary idea for that time.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 May '12 04:35
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    The Bible is not a science book.

This should be obvious to anyone who has read the story of Noah's flood. I'm thinking of adopting this as a litmus test. If you believe that Noah's flood actually happened, I don't take anything you have to say about science seriously.
    Even though all the ancient cultures of that region have a flood myth? To even know what a flood was is to point to the fact that one occured. Now to the extent of which is debatable I suppose.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 May '12 05:21
    Originally posted by whodey
    Even though all the ancient cultures of that region have a flood myth? To even know what a flood was is to point to the fact that one occured. Now to the extent of which is debatable I suppose.
    Egypt (near that region) has a flood every year. About half the world has floods at least once a century (for each given place.) Some places have one every year.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 May '12 10:16
    not a science book
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 May '12 13:21
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Egypt (near that region) has a flood every year. About half the world has floods at least once a century (for each given place.) Some places have one every year.
    There is no worldwide flood every year, Doofus.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 May '12 13:47
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    There is no worldwide flood every year, Doofus.
    The extent of what might be described as "worldwide" was very, very severely restricted a few thousand years ago. Indeed, if the waters were 'as far as one could see', it would have most likely have struck most folk as being a "worldwide" flood. Stuff like Morse Code and Twitter have put paid to such parochial perceptions in more recent times.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    08 May '12 15:071 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    The key word here is myth. I daresay the ancient peoples knew full well that myths tend to be great exaggerations at best. They probably knew that there had been no actual flood, for example, that was so high that it covered the highest of mountains, even in a local area. The same cannot be said of today's Biblical literalists.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 May '12 15:22
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    The key word here is [b]myth. I daresay the ancient peoples knew full well that myths tend to be great exaggerations at best. They probably knew that there had been no actual flood, for example, that was so high that it covered the highest of mountains, even in a local area. The same cannot be said of today's Biblical literalists.[/b]
    They probably knew ... More speculation???

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree