1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 21:29
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Not being aware of the glaring contradictions in the bible simply betrays you haven't studied it objectively. '
    Not being able to provide a single example of a contradiction or error simply betrays the fact that you are merely parroting an unsubstantiated view of which you have no evidence.

I've had this debate about the veracity of the scriptures before and no one has ever been able to prove the Bible wrong. I think that's what you're afraid of.

Take your time. Find something. Prove there's an error or a contradiction in the Bible and I'll deny Jesus.

Do you understand what I'm saying?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 21:371 edit
    Originally posted by @josephw
    You're off script divegeester. That's why I won't answer.

Frame your question in such a way that reflects the narrative of the Word of God and I will gladly discuss the issue of eternal separation from the life of God.

Use any good translation. Quote the verse or verses related to the lake of fire, hell or Gehenna.
    Here you go:

Revelation 14:9-10
    "If anyone worships the beast and its image, and receives its mark on his forehead or hand he too will drink the wine of God’s anger, poured undiluted into the cup of His wrath. And he will be tormented in fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. "

Is this literal or not?
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 21:58
    There are 30 alleged contradictions at this site:

https://thoughtcatalog.com/jim-goad/2014/05/30-pairs-of-bible-verses-that-contradict-one-another/
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 22:502 edits
    Originally posted by @js357
    There are 30 alleged contradictions at this site:

https://thoughtcatalog.com/jim-goad/2014/05/30-pairs-of-bible-verses-that-contradict-one-another/
    All thirty samples I would not address. But if you pick, say, five of your favorites, maybe I can offer some explanation.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 22:56
    The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up. —Revelation 8:7

And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads. —Revelation 9:4

Does grass grow back ?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 23:01
    Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord. —Proverbs 12:22

The Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee. —I Kings 22:23

Without the permission of God no abominable lying spirit could have deceived the prophets. Under God's providence the lying spirit deceived the untrustworthy prophets.

i can't see anything in 1 Kings 22:23 that suggests the lying spirit was not still an abomination.

something similar will happen in the last days. Paul says that because some people did not love the truth therefore God will send strong delusion to them.

I take this to be about God's sovereignty - and what under His providence He will allow to happen.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 23:05
    For by grace are ye saved through faith…not of works. —Ephesians 2:8,9

Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. —James 2:24

I think there are two aspects of justification spoken of in these verses.

One is a justification before God.
    The other I think is justification before fellow men.

Ephesians 2:8,9 I take as justification before God.
    James 2:24 I would surmise is justification before men. They see in your life the evidence of your faith in God.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 23:07
    Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. —2 Kings 24:8

Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem… —2 Chronicles 36:9

Good one. I don't know. It could be the result of a scribal copying error.

Is there a major tenet of the Christian faith that hinges on the discrepancy ?
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 23:11
    Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy…and they shall be your possession…they shall be your bondmen forever. —Leviticus 25:45-46

Undo the heavy burdens…let the oppressed go free,…break every yoke. —Isaiah 58:6

I don't see a contradiction of any serious nature here.

Firstly, a purchased bondman may not be one who is oppressed.

It is not impossible that a master / servant relationship may involve obligation without oppression.

Ie. Abraham and his servant Eleazar in Genesis.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 23:13
    For I am the Lord; I change not. —Malachi 3:6

And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people. —Exodus 32:14

I see the second instance meaning God decided to have mercy.
    I do not count that as a change in His nature.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 23:241 edit
    For I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation. —Exodus 20:5

The Lord is good to all. —Psalms 145:9

I think is one is honest and not trying purposely to misunderstand, considering Psalm 145 as a whole it must have some parameters.

IE. Verse 10 speaks of God's faithful ones.

"All Your works will praise You, O Jehovah; and Your faithful ones will bless You."

Consistent with the rest of Scripture, unfaithful ones may receive another kind of dealing from God because their unfaithfulness and unrepentance.

I don't thin Psalm 145 "locks" God into not being able to decide to deal accordingly to men based on certain criteria.

It also says in verse 12 that His glorious splendor of His kingdom is made known.

"To make known to the sons of men Your mighty acts and the glorious splendor of Your kingdom."

With those refusing His kingdom or opposing His kingdom or giving themselves over to the kingdom of His enemy, His dealing may be according that need.

I don't think Psalm 145 "locks" God into not dealing with those who utterly oppose His kingdom.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 23:321 edit
    No man hath seen God at any time. —John 1:18

For I have seen God face to face. —Genesis 32:30

The Apostle John's bold and admittedly paradoxical statement, I think should be understood in this manner -

You know all those manifestations of God in the Old Testament? Recall all those appearances of God to Adam, Job, Abraham, Jacob, Moses, the Israelites at Mt.Sinai, Isaiah, Daniel, Ezekiel ?

All those appearances of God have now been transcended and superseded by the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ the Son of God. Put those appearances all on the backburner compared to this manifestation and definition of God seen in the life of Jesus

The only begotten Son Who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared God, manifested God, explained God, communicated God in such a transcendent way as to cause all the Old Testament appearances of God we all read about to pale in comparison .

That is how I would recommend one take John 1:18.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 23:38
    For every man shall bear his own burden. —Galatians 6:2

Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. —Galatians 6:2

His own burden is to live like Christ and be a bearer of others' burdens.

He doesn't mean every Christian will bear his own burden by his own power.
    He means every mature Christian will have Christ living in him bearing up others in love.

I think the paradox of these two utterances so close to one another requires some experience.

His own burden is about living by Christ and through Christ - allowing Christ to live in them. Each Christian must allow this by his her own submission to Christ. No one else can do it FOR them.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 23:513 edits
    For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God. —Romans 3:23

There was a man…who name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright. —Job 1:1

I think if one reads the book of Job much more of the things said agree with Romans 3:23. Although it says Job was perfect and upright, we see Job himself ends up at the end abhoring himself and repenting in dust and ashes.

"I had heard of You by the hearing of the ear. But now my eye has seen You; Therefore I abhor myself and I repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42:5,6)

Yes, comparatively to others in his generation he was outstanding. But after chapters of his complaining that God doesn't know what He is doing in all this suffering, he eventually evaluates himself as far from perfect before God.

Furthermore, "perfect" and "upright" Job (comparitvely so) finally admits that he spoke a lot of things about God that he didn't understand. So his wisdom was not perfect nor his absolute righteousness.

"Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know ... I abhor myself and repent in dust and ashes."

His self pity (we might say, all of which was deserved) climaxes in repentance before God anyway.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 23:54
    Two and twenty years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign. —II Kings 8:26

Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign. —II Chronicles 22:2

This would require more homework.
    Interesting.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree