Biblical literalists and literalisms

Biblical literalists and literalisms

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Sep 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @josephw
Yes I would. I might even resort to using terms like "brood of vipers" or "whited wall" if necessary. 🙄

I might even use the term "pussy" like divegeester does.
Are you also taking a scripture out of context in order to fling another jibe at me by calling me a "reprobate" now?

Romans 1:28

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Sep 17

Does anyone here believe that the trees of life and of knowledge in the garden of Eden, were real trees with leaves and roots and photosynthesis etc?

Moves
27 Sep 17

Originally posted by @divegeester
You first...?
Give it your best shot.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Sep 17

Originally posted by @dj2becker
Give it your best shot.
Do you have the courage and fortitude to state whether or not you believe everything in the bible to be literal, and if not then what isn't literal and why?

Moves
27 Sep 17

Do you have the courage and fortitude to state whether or not you believe everything in the bible to be literal, and if not then what isn't literal and why?
Why do you keep on deflecting the questions I ask you back at me?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Sep 17
3 edits

Originally posted by @dj2becker
Why do you keep on deflecting the questions I ask you back at me?
I don't; look at page one. Why do you keep avoiding my one above to you?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Sep 17

Is there any Christian here who wants actually discuss this topic?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
27 Sep 17

Originally posted by @sonship
Two and twenty years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign. —II Kings 8:26

Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign. —II Chronicles 22:2

This would require more homework.
Interesting.
Great. Will you do that homework?! (Or was that just a dodge from the contradiction you can't explain?)

Perhaps you can share your results with Joseph and let him know why the below isn't a contradiction. (You may need to redesign mathematics).

Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign. —II Chronicles 22:2

Psst, remember, the bible is without error.

Moves
27 Sep 17

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Great. Will you do that homework?! (Or was that just a dodge from the contradiction you can't explain?)

Perhaps you can share your results with Joseph and let him know why the below isn't a contradiction. (You may need to redesign mathematics).

Forty and two years ...[text shortened]... ah when he began to reign. —II Chronicles 22:2

https://answersingenesis.org/bible-timeline/genealogy/two-ages-at-once/

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Sep 17

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

Forty and two years ...[text shortened]... ah when he began to reign. —II Chronicles 22:2

Psst, you could always do some research yourself.

Psst, Remember, you're objective? and just searching for the truth?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Sep 17

Psst, you could always do some research yourself.
Why should GoaD do some more research when it was he who found the texts and presented them to you, and it was you who acknowledged their veracity and said that you would "do some homework".

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Sep 17
2 edits

Copied with permission from Christian Think Tank

http://christianthinktank.com/texterrs.html

[Questioner]

4) 2 Kings 8:26/2 Chronicles 22:2: Either Ahaziah was 22 when he took the throne or 42. 22 makes a lot more sense because he would have had to have been older than his father to take the throne at 42 but here is another "copyist" error.

[Miller the apologist's remark ]

[Again, we have another mss tradition--the LXX--that preserves the 22 number in the 2 chronicles passage.]

Many Bibles include footnotes and study notes in the margins referring to textural difficulties.

Ie. Rotherham's The Emphasized Bible has all kinds of references to MSS differences for the those interested in textural criticism. translators of the Bible acknowledge that copyists' errors have been cataloged between numerous ancient manuscripts.

Pulpit Commentary
Verse 26. - Two and twenty years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign. The writer of Chronicles says, "two and forty" (2 Chronicles 22:2), which is absolutely impossible, since his father was but forty when he died (see ver. 17, and setup. 2 Chronicles 21:5, 20). Even "two and twenty" is a more advanced age than we should have expected, since Ahaziah was the youngest of Jehoram's sons (2 Chronicles 21:17); he must therefore have been born in his father's nineteenth year. Yet he had several elder brothers (2 Chronicles 21:17; 2 Chronicles 22:1)! To explain this, we have to remember

(1) the early age at which marriage is contracted in the East (twelve years); and

(2) the fact that each prince had, besides his wife, several concubines. That Joram had several appears from 2 Chronicles 21:17. And he reigned one year in Jerusalem. And his mother's Ares was Athaliah, the daughter of Omri King of Israel. There is something very remarkable in the dignity and precedence attached to Omri. He was, no doubt, regarded of a sort of second founder of the kingdom of Israel, having been the first monarch to establish anything like a stable dynasty. His "statutes" were looked upon as the fundamental laws of the kingdom, and were "kept" down to the time of its destruction (Micah 6:16). Foreigners knew Samaria as Beth. Khumri, or "the house of Omri." He is the only Israelite king mentioned by name on the Moabite Stone (line 5), and the earliest mentioned in the inscriptions of Assyria. Even Jehu, who put an end to his dynasty, was regarded by the Assyrians as his descendant, and known under the designation of" Yahua, the son of Khnmri" (Black Obelisk, epig. 2.). Athallah, the daughter of Ahab, is called "the daughter of Omri," not only in the present passage, but also in 2 Chronicles 22:2.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
Two and twenty years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign,.... In 2 Chronicles 22:2 he is said to be forty two years of age; for the solution of that difficulty See Gill on 2 Chronicles 22:2,

and he reigned one year in Jerusalem; which was the whole of his reign:

and his mother's name was Athaliah the daughter of Omri king of Israel; that is, his granddaughter; for she was the daughter of Ahab the son of Omri, 2 Kings 8:18, it was usual for grandchildren to be called children, sons and daughters, and perhaps she might be educated in the family of Omri.

I am no expert on this textural problem but have included some opinions above.
And I noticed that my own RcV has in the footnote something about "grandaughter" where verse 26 Second Kings 22 reads "Athaliah, the daughter of Omri" .

Like the discrepancy of number of horses Solomon may have had, this is no showstopper for me in believing the Bible's message of salvation.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Sep 17
1 edit

Another comment the above copyist error

http://defendinginerrancy.com/bible-solutions/2_Kings_8.26.php

2 KINGS 8:26—WAS AHAZIAH 22 YEARS OLD WHEN HE BEGAN TO REIGN IN JUDAH, OR WAS HE 42 YEARS OLD?

PROBLEM: According to the statement in 2 Kings 8:26, Ahaziah was 22 years old when he began to reign in Judah. However, in 2 Chronicles 22:2 (kjv) we find the claim that Ahaziah was age 42 when he took the throne in Judah. Which is correct?
SOLUTION: This is clearly a copyist error, and there is sufficient evidence to demonstrate that Ahaziah was 22 years old when he began to reign in Judah. In 2 Kings 8:17, we find that Joram, father of Ahaziah and son of Ahab, was 32 years old when he became king. Joram died at age 40, eight years after becoming king. Consequently, his son Ahaziah could not have been 42 when he took the throne after his father’s death, otherwise he would have been older than his father.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Sep 17
2 edits

Another comment the above copyist error...
Are you accepting GoaD's claim that it is an "error" in the bible?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Sep 17

Does anyone here believe that the trees of life and of knowledge in the garden of Eden, were real trees with leaves and roots and photosynthesis etc?
When was the last time you saw a tree that didn't have "leaves and roots and photosynthesis etc?"

To imagine that the genesis account of creation is anything other than literal is to think in unbelief. Jesus taught that the genesis account was real and literal.

Matthew 19:4
And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

I don't think Jesus meant male and female amoebas. Adam was formed from the dust of the earth in one day just as it says in genesis.

Is your god too small to do that? God created the whole universe and all life on earth in six literal days. Why is that so difficult for you to believe?