2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 22:56
    Originally posted by vivify
    An oldie, but goodie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=f8U_JveHS8E&feature=endscreen
    Bill Maher can do good comedy. However, he is ignorant about what is not religious.

From Wikipedia:

Religion is a collection of belief systems, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values.

The terms "atheist" (lack of belief in any gods) and "agnostic" (belief in the unknowability of the existence of gods), though specifically contrary to theistic (e.g. Christian, Jewish, and Muslim) religious teachings, do not by definition mean the opposite of "religious". There are religions (including Buddhism and Taoism), in fact, that classify some of their followers as agnostic, atheistic, or nontheistic. The true opposite of "religious" is the word "irreligious". Irreligion describes an absence of any religion; antireligion describes an active opposition or aversion toward religions in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

Most atheists appeal to their belief in the theory of evolution to support their religious belief that there is no gods or a God.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 23:03
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Bill Maher can do good comedy. However, he is ignorant about what is not religious.

From Wikipedia:

Religion is a collection of belief systems, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values.

The terms "atheist" (lack of belief in any gods) and "agnostic" (belief in the unknowability of the ex ...[text shortened]... ons in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

there is no gods or a God.
    Instead of cutting and pasting wiki
    quotes why don't you try reading them?

nothing there to support your ridiculous
    statement "Most atheists appeal to their
    belief in the theory of evolution to support
    their religious belief that ..."

The Theory of Evolution has nothing
    to do with religion or theism. An atheist can
    just as easily argue against evolution as a
    theist may support it.

However, evolution is of course contrary to
    your bronze-age beliefs.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 23:13
    Originally posted by vivify
    An oldie, but goodie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=f8U_JveHS8E&feature=endscreen
    Great Clip!! (Encyclopedia Moronica lol)

Led me to this clip of RJHinds son (not the gay one, not the genius)

YouTube&feature=fvwrel
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 00:24
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Great Clip!! (Encyclopedia Moronica lol)

Led me to this clip of RJHinds son (not the gay one, not the genius)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlBLOJnrui0&feature=fvwrel
    I think my non-genius son does a better job on this video.

YouTube&feature=fvwrel
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 12:59
    Originally posted by RJHinds

From Wikipedia:

The terms "atheist" (lack of belief in any gods) and "agnostic" (belief in the unknowability of the ex ...[text shortened]... theory of evolution to support their religious belief that there is no gods or a God.
    You HAVE to call atheism a religion because that is the only way you can assuage your cognitive dissonance. A religion REQUIRES a god. Anyone who pronounces him or her self atheist is not worshiping a god and is not worshiping a non-god. You might say money is a religion to some people but that is more of an obsession than a religion. What you believe is a religious obsession.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 13:57
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You HAVE to call atheism a religion because that is the only way you can assuage your cognitive dissonance. A religion REQUIRES a god. Anyone who pronounces him or her self atheist is not worshiping a god and is not worshiping a non-god. You might say money is a religion to some people but that is more of an obsession than a religion. What you believe is a religious obsession.
    No a religion does not 'require' a god.

There are religions that don't include a god.

All religions do however have a belief in some kind of afterlife/persistence after death.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 15:08
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    All religions do however have a belief in some kind of afterlife/persistence after death.
    Even Buddhism?
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 18:33
    Only the Monotheist and Polytheist require some type of god, Atheist just has
    their core belief that there is no god, that can and does make up their religion,
    its as simple as 1, >1, and 0.
    Kelly
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 19:17
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    their core belief that there is no god, that can and does make up their religion,
    Kelly
    So according to you everyone is religious?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 19:452 edits
    Kelly
    You just proved my point. THEISTS REQUIRE ATHEISM TO BE CALLED A RELIGION.

There is no belief in some kind of afterlife, there is no worshiping a god. This is in no way a religion.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 20:50
    So if I don't believe in Santa, I'm religious?
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 21:37
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    So according to you everyone is religious?
    Yep, not all about the same things.
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 21:38
    You just proved my point. THEISTS REQUIRE ATHEISM TO BE CALLED A RELIGION.

There is no belief in some kind of afterlife, there is no worshiping a god. This is in no way a religion.
    I don't require squat from Atheist it is how religion is defined, I did not make that up.
    Kelly
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 21:51
    I don't require squat from Atheist it is how religion is defined, I did not make that up.
    Kelly
    You are a theist, ergo, you think like a theist and theists demand atheism be a religion even though EVERY atheist says otherwise.

Therefore, like I said, theists require atheism to be seen on an equal footing as religion and therefore they say to a man, atheism is a religion.

It is not, no matter how hard you try to force atheism into your belief fold.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree