Bill Maher: Atheism is not religion

Bill Maher: Atheism is not religion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Nov 12

Secular spirituality emphasizes humanistic ideas on moral character (qualities such as love, compassion, patience, tolerance, forgiveness, contentment, responsibility, harmony, and a concern for others) - aspects of life and human experience which go beyond a purely materialist view of the world without necessarily accepting belief in a supernatural reality or divine being.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
08 Nov 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Look at this wikipedia definition and you should be able to understand.

Religion is a collection of belief systems, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values.

I think the "strong" atheist, as well as the theist, has a belief system or world view that relates humanity to spirituality and perha ...[text shortened]... volution, he has a world view that relates humanity to spirituality and maybe to moral values.
All that distinguishes me from a weak atheist is the presence this belief:

(P) The concept 'God' is not instantiated in the world.

So, if I have religious beliefs and the weak atheist does not, then, apparently, this is a function either of (P) or other claims to which I'm inferentially committed by virtue of having (P). I have a variety of moral beliefs. I have a variety of theoretical beliefs about morality. So does every weak atheist I know. So, the difference in religiosity between me and and the weak atheist cannot be a function of moral beliefs.

So, again, what's the real difference here? Why do I qualify as being religious but the weak atheist does not?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Nov 12

Originally posted by bbarr
All that distinguishes me from a weak atheist is the presence this belief:

(P) The concept 'God' is not instantiated in the world.

So, if I have religious beliefs and the weak atheist does not, then, apparently, this is a function either of (P) or other claims to which I'm inferentially committed by virtue of having (P). I have a variety of moral belief ...[text shortened]... he real difference here? Why do I qualify as being religious but the weak atheist does not?
It appears that the ones you consider weak atheists are not really that weak then.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
08 Nov 12

It appears that the ones you consider weak atheists are not really that weak then.
Actually, it appears you're having trouble understanding the definitions you are parroting. It's funny, but, you know, also depressing. Never mind, you don't have to try to answer the question above.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Nov 12

Actually, it appears you're having trouble understanding the definitions you are parroting. It's funny, but, you know, also depressing. Never mind, you don't have to try to answer the question above.
I think I get your point. The fact that there is a definition for "weak" or "implicit" atheism does not mean that any exist in real life.

Moves
08 Nov 12

I think I get your point. The fact that there is a definition for "weak" or "implicit" atheism does not mean that any exist in real life.
No, that is not his point at all.

There are times when I wonder how you ever managed to learn how to tie your shoe laces....

Or am I presuming too much here.... Did you learn to tie your shoe laces?

A religion is a system of beliefs and practices based around believing IN the existence of things
like god/s and spirits and souls and afterlives (of some sort).

While there are some religions that don't include a god, (they do include belief in an afterlife of some sort)
there is no belief in atheism IN anything.

There is either an absence of belief in god/s or a belief in the absence of god/s.

That is not a religion.

Period.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Nov 12

Originally posted by googlefudge

There are times when I wonder how you ever managed to learn how to tie your shoe laces....

A religion is a system of beliefs and practices based around believing IN the existence of things
like god/s and spirits and souls and afterlive ...[text shortened]... e of belief in god/s or a belief in the absence of god/s.

That is not a religion.

Period.
In trying to put atheists and theists on the same footing, they inevitably try to foist the idea that atheism is *just* another religion.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Nov 12

Originally posted by googlefudge

like god/s and spirits and souls and afterlive ...[text shortened]... e of belief in god/s or a belief in the absence of god/s.

That is not a religion.

Period.
I can tie my shoelaces, but they sometime come untied.

Well, as I pointed out, Wikipedia defines religion this way:

Religion is a collection of belief systems, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values.

And it goes on to say that atheism is not the opposite of religion. Bill Maher said atheism was the opposite of religion, so he is wrong. Perhaps he was just trying to get a laugh from his liberal audience. Irreligious is the opposite of religion according to Wikipedia.

So my point is that Bill Maher was not telling the truth for he was wrong.

Your limited definitions only have limited truth and therefore, they are really false. This is how Satan the devil operates. We all know that atheists deny the existence of the God of the Holy Bible and believe in evolution as part of their belief system today. To deny that is simply another lie.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Nov 12

I can tie my shoelaces, but they sometime come untied.

Well, as I pointed out, Wikipedia defines religion this way:

And it goes on to say that atheism is not the opposite of religion. [b]Bill Maher said ...[text shortened]... believe in evolution as part of their belief system today. To deny that is simply another lie.
You seem to think atheists are on a vendetta against Paulism. They don't like ANY religion that has such cruel gods. Paulism is not the only religion around. Atheists deny all the Abrahamic religions and the rest also.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Nov 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
You seem to think atheists are on a vendetta against Paulism. They don't like ANY religion that has such cruel gods. Paulism is not the only religion around. Atheists deny all the Abrahamic religions and the rest also.
My God is a loving God, who loves me and sent his only begotten Son to save my soul from the death I deserve, for all the sins I have committed.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Nov 12
1 edit

But they're not all like me, Kelly...
I know only a very small select group of excellent people I'd put in with you!
I don't agree with you a lot, but without a doubt respect you completely.
I always walk away from our discussions better for it.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Nov 12
2 edits

Originally posted by vivify
Answer the question. Is rejection of Bugs Bunny's existence a religous position? You seem a little scared to give a direct answer.
Wikipedia on religion:

Webster:
: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

If Bugs Bunny's existence is something you hold to with ardor, or is foundational
to your world view sure, if not....no.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Nov 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
In trying to put atheists and theists on the same footing, they inevitably try to foist the idea that atheism is *just* another religion.
I recall hearing about some people that wanted to get rid of extremist, they
wanted to round them all up and kill them, which I thought was a little extreme
to say the least, they became what they said they hated. If you align yourself
to a cause, principle, or system of beliefs that define you, you've cross a line
and have stepped into something you claim to want no part of you can be
religious.
Kelly

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Nov 12
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
I recall hearing about some people that wanted to get rid of extremist, they
wanted to round them all up and kill them, which I thought was a little extreme
to say the least, they became what they said they hated. If you align yourself
to a cause, principle, or system of beliefs that define you, you've cross a line
and have stepped into something you claim to want no part of you can be
religious.
Kelly
Again, you prove my point. It is theists who demand atheism be a religion, not atheists.

One thing about atheists, they don't spend half the day obsessing over it. Theists are so obsessive it is scary.

rain

Moves
08 Nov 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
Wikipedia on religion:

Webster:
: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

If Bugs Bunny's existence is something you hold to with ardor, or is foundational
to your world view sure, if not....no.
Kelly
Let's say a group of people started pushing schools to teach evidence for Bugs Bunny's existance in schools, and I fought against it (with "ardor"😉 because I don't think he's real...in your opinion, that's me being religous?