1. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    18 Nov '12 07:353 edits
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Bbarr does not fit either description with respect to your god. He claims to know that your god does not exist and he has evidence (for example by way of arguments) to show that he is right.
    I didn't say bbarr fits any description. I asked him a question. It's a perfectly logical, hypothetical question based on the pronounced beliefs of an Atheist vs. a believer.

His claim that he has proof that God doesn't exist quite obviously doesn't come in to play, as one cannot verifiably prove a negative. He has no absolute proof. You know it, I know it, and the rest of the world knows it. So unless you are willing to depart from the real world and enter into a world where fantasies come true and the rules of basic logic don't exist... bbarr has not proven a negative. So we move past that assumably tongue-in-cheek claim, and get back to reality....

Now if you'll excuse me, I asked bbarr a question...............
  2. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    18 Nov '12 07:432 edits
    They sure are your problems. A sound argument that shows your god does not exist is a problem for you, not for someone who doesn't believe in your god. Duh!

And yes bbarr does know that your god does not exist. So do a lot of other persons too, like me.
    Problems for you maybe. Not me. What gives you the right to shift the burden of your problems on to my shoulders?

A "sound argument" does not a fact make. A negative can't be proven, no matter how much you personally desire such an outcome.

But, since you seem to think you have solid, verifiable *proof* that God doesn't exist--please, let's see it. I'll get my popcorn ready.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Nov '12 07:45
    Originally posted by sumydid
    I didn't say bbarr fits any description. I asked him a question. It's a perfectly logical, hypothetical question based on the pronounced beliefs of an Atheist vs. a believer.

His claim that he has proof that God doesn't exist quite obviously doesn't come in to play, as one cannot verifiably prove a negative. He has no absolute proof. You know it, I kn ...[text shortened]... et back to reality....

I think the atheists have already entered that fantasy world in believing that evolution is a fact and the universe and life came about by accident.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Nov '12 08:16
    His claim that he has proof that God doesn't exist quite obviously doesn't come in to play, as one cannot verifiably prove a negative. He has no absolute proof. You know it, I know it, and the rest of the world knows it. So unless you are willing to depart from the real world and enter into a world where fantasies come true and the rules of basic logic do ...[text shortened]... negative. So we move past that assumably tongue-in-cheek claim, and get back to reality....
    Nonsense. It is perfectly possible to prove that some things do not exist. The easiest being to show that something is illogical. You yourself attempt to use this very argument in your post to try and disprove the existence of bbarrs absolute proof.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Nov '12 20:18
    They sure are your problems. A sound argument that shows your god does not exist is a problem for you, not for someone who doesn't believe in your god. Duh!

And yes bbarr does know that your god does not exist. So do a lot of other persons too, like me.
    I would say no to that one, he may believe it isn't true, but he does not know.
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Nov '12 20:21
    Bbarr does not fit either description with respect to your god. He claims to know that your god does not exist and he has evidence (for example by way of arguments) to show that he is right.
    Evidence and arguments...so do you believe that people with both of those are
    always right? Seriously there are many a court case where both side have
    both evidence and arguments and even in our court system those we think win
    the debate are NOT always right in the end....so why are you so sure about
    anyone with evidence and arguments being a clear winner?
    Kelly
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Nov '12 20:29
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Evidence and arguments...so do you believe that people with both of those are
    always right? Seriously there are many a court case where both side have
    both evidence and arguments and even in our court system those we think win
    the debate are NOT always right in the end....so why are you so sure about
    anyone with evidence and arguments being a clear winner?
    Kelly
    Maybe they have bribed the judge and the jury. 😀
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Nov '12 23:29
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Maybe they have bribed the judge and the jury. 😀
    Ah, just like Paul.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 01:52
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Ah, just like Paul.
    Why do you refuse to learn and instead just make snide remarks?
  10. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 03:05
    bbarr:

All other things being completely equal, and both parties being known to be honest, completely sane, intelligent, well-educated human beings:

Person A says: God exists, because I've seen evidence of His existence.
    Person B says: God doesn't exist, because I have seen no evidence of His existence.

Which person's testimony holds more weight? I believe there is only 1 correct answer.
    Person A, obviously. But what does that have to do with me, or the problems I mentioned above?
  11. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 03:081 edit

His claim that he has proof that God doesn't exist quite obviously doesn't come in to play, as one cannot verifiably prove a negative. He has no absolute proof. You know it, I kn et back to reality....

Of course one can prove a negative. If some proposition P has entailments that yield a contradiction, or that are very unlikely given other evidence, then one can infer ~P. It's one instance of a reductio ad absurdum or indirect proof; you learn this in basic logic classes.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 03:55
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Of course one can prove a negative. If some proposition P has entailments that yield a contradiction, or that are very unlikely given other evidence, then one can infer ~P. It's one instance of a reductio ad absurdum or indirect proof; you learn this in basic logic classes.
    Atheists on here have been claiming they can't prove there is no God, because you can not prove a negative. Apparently, that argument is just an excuse for their lack of proof then, right?
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 05:16
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Atheists on here have been claiming they can't prove there is no God, because you can not prove a negative.
    Can you quote one? I certainly have never made any such claim nor do I think I have ever seen it made by an atheist.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 07:35
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Can you quote one? I certainly have never made any such claim nor do I think I have ever seen it made by an atheist.
    It has been a good while. I can't remember exactly who and how many. It was probably someone like Proper Knob, Void Spirit, or googlefudge. But it doesn't matter if one of you can prove God does not exist.
  15. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 07:432 edits
    Originally posted by bbarr
    I said "verifiably prove," which rules out things like "very unlikely." I have heard many Atheists in my lifetime respond to Christians who say, "Oh yeah, PROVE that God doesn't exist!" -- by saying it is an unfair requirement because a negative cannot be proven.

Now, if you disagree with them all and insist that this particular negative can be verifiably proven, then have at it. But I'll say from the outset that it would prove to be an enormous waste of time and effort on your part if you go with "God does not exist because I've seen no evidence of His existence." Because that will never, ever qualify as reasonable proof.

If your idea (and I think it is) is to prove a contradiction in God's existence, based on His actions vs. how the bible describes His character, and then use that contradiction as plausible proof to deny His existence? Then you are fighting an infinitely steep, uphill battle... but have at it. Start a new thread. We'll start with your problem of evil. That one shouldn't last long at all. Then we can go to your other points.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree