1. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 14:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'll reword the question then. Some bits of Deuteronomy are still OK; some bits of Deuteronomy are not OK anymore? How is it decided?

And here's another smack-bang-on-topic question you dodged just now: You haven't seen [the Harry Potter film in question] and yet you suggest that it falls foul of Deuteronomy. Did someone tell you not to watch it? Had they seen it?
    it was a suggestion based on my own understanding of the Bible, I have studied it
    almost daily for eighteen years, just saying. While the Law is no longer applicable in
    practice, its principles remain, after all, murder, stealing, adultery, covetousness etc etc
    are principally condemned.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 14:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    it was a suggestion based on my own understanding of the Bible, I have studied it
    almost daily for eighteen years, just saying. While the Law is no longer applicable in
    practice, its principles remain, after all, murder, stealing, adultery, covetousness etc etc
    are principally condemned.
    Did someone tell you not to watch the film? Had they seen it?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 14:54
    it was a suggestion based on my own understanding of the Bible, I have studied it almost daily for eighteen years, just saying.
    So a kind of "self opinion" "masquerading [...] as some kind of self evident truth" then? Quoting the bible to condemn a film you haven't even seen - condemning something blind - strikes me as the antithesis of being "a free moral agent".
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 14:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    Did someone tell you not to watch the film? Had they seen it?
    it was a suggestion based upon my own understanding, i provided the verse, i have
    only seem clips of the film, I cannot speak for anyone else. Its not about me.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 14:562 edits
    it was a suggestion based upon my own understanding, i provided the verse, i have
    only seem clips of the film, I cannot speak for anyone else. Its not about me.
    How can your personal condemnation of something "based upon [your] own understanding" be "not about [you]"?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 14:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    So a kind of "self opinion" "masquerading [...] as some kind of self evident truth" then? Quoting the bible to condemn a film you haven't even seen - condemning something blind - strikes me as the antithesis of being "a free moral agent".
    its not about me, it was a suggestion, you need not acquiesce, I have issued no hard
    and fast rules, I have condemned nothing, all i was seeking to do was to provide a
    basis as to why tim88's sister may have been reticent about letting minors watch it
    based upon her religious convictions, she is not me, all further attempts to make it
    personal to me shall be ignored.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 14:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    How can your personal condemnation of something "based upon [your] own understanding" be "not about [you]"?
    I have condemned nothing.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 15:00
    its not about me, it was a suggestion...
    How can you say that it's "not about me" when you admit that your moral condemnation is merely "based upon [your] own understanding"?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 15:011 edit
    I have condemned nothing.
    You quoted Deuteronomy 18:10-13 with reference to Harry Potter. Deuteronomy according to your personal understanding says be "reticent" about Harry Potter but isn't condemning it?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 15:031 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    How can you say that it's "not about me" when you admit that your moral condemnation is merely "based upon [your] own understanding"?
    my moral condemnation? are you in your senses? how does citing a Biblical verse, which
    may or may not provide a reason as to why someone else, who is not me, equate in
    your twisted world to, my moral condemnation, you are frothing at the mouth, please
    try to control yourself.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 15:04
    my moral condemnation? are you in your senses? how is citing a Biblical verse, which
    may or may not provide a reason as to why someone else, who is not me, equate in
    your twisted world to, my moral condemnation, you are frothing at the mouth, please
    try to control yourself.
    Well because, just before you quoted Deuteronomy, you said the "Bible does condemn that sort of thing, as I have never seen the film myself, I cannot confirm or deny what it contains..."
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 15:053 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well because, just before you quoted Deuteronomy, you said the "Bible does condemn that sort of thing, as I have never seen the film myself, I cannot confirm or deny what it contains..."
    I am not the Bible. Does the phrase ' I cannot confirm or deny having not seen the film ', mean anything to you?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 15:06
    I am not the Bible.
    But you believe that the "Bible does condemn" stuff like Harry Potter, and you have quoted Deuteronomy to back your claim.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 15:08
    I am not the Bible. Does the phrase ' I cannot confirm or deny having not seen the film ', mean anything to you?
    You have quoted the Bible as condemning stuff like Harry Potter and now you claim you haven't condemned it because you didn't write the Bible?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 15:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    But you believe that the "Bible does condemn" stuff like Harry Potter, and you have quoted Deuteronomy to back your claim.
    It condemns spiritsm, sorcery, divination , casting spells, magic etc etc whether Harry
    Potter contains these elements, I cannot say, I have seen only small clips.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree