1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 10:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    When the interview was over, he offered me eternal life — and a contact I could call day or night

In 2004, Prince had the highest-grossing tour in the world — surpassing even Madonna — simply because he chose to. With a strong new album in Musicology and decades of hits to back him up, he put on an amazing series of in-the-round, tour de force sho ...[text shortened]... ive about him. I’m gonna miss that guy.

http://time.com/4303703/prince-dead-jehovahs-witness/
    Clearly you admire the man. Do you think Prince was an example Jehovah's Witness for his generation of fans?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 10:55
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Clearly you admire the man. Do you think Prince was an example Jehovah's Witness for his generation of fans?
    Yes clearly he was our exemplar, we dispensed with Jesus Christ, copied all his songs into our song books and sang them at every meeting and hailed Prince as head of the congregation.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 10:561 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Ah, you should have made that disclaimer at the start. Who was the interviewer?
    I cannot say, I did provided the link to the article in Time magazine.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 10:58
    Yes clearly he was our exemplar, we dispensed with Jesus Christ, copied all his songs into our song books and sang them at every meeting and hailed Prince as head of the congregation.
    If you are going to make a mockery out of the subject, then why did you bother to make a big OP about it?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 10:58
    Was his art appropriate for a supposedly active member of the JWs?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 11:261 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Was his art appropriate for a supposedly active member of the JWs?
    Its funny, as a folk musician who played professionally, I don't think I ever actually listened to a prince song. I just wasn't interested since in my opinion folk music is much more meaningful than any rock icon.

I suppose that makes me a pariah here now.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 11:32
    Its funny, as a folk musician who played professionally, I don't think I ever actually listened to a prince song. I just wasn't interested since in my opinion folk music is much more meaningful than any rock icon.

I suppose that makes me a pariah here now.
    Not a pariah. Just mindnumbingly narrowminded.

Like many of our religious friends 😉
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 11:47
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Not a pariah. Just mindnumbingly narrowminded.

Like many of our religious friends 😉
    I think you are the narrowminded one.

I can point to people who are real, Doc Watson, Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, D'Gary, Robert Johnson, Rev, Gary Davis, Mississippi John Hurt, Pete Seeger, Ronnie Gilbert, John Renbourn, Bert Jansch, Davy Graham to mention just a few folk virtuoso's.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 11:48
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Super wealthy narcissist leads risky lifestyle and eventually the drug abuse wrecks his life prematurely. Hardly the model of Christian living we are accustomed to.

There is no romance in the premature death of a talented individual. Too many idiots assume that creativity and self harm (drugs, drink, you name it) are intertwined. In fact we have known ...[text shortened]... that substance abuse destroys creative talent over and over, and never ever enhances creativity.
    "Cocaine is God's way of telling you that you make too much money"

-Robin Williams
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 11:49
    Obviously the brothers adopted some of those songs into the Kingdom melody play list and sang them before and after every meeting, after all they must have considered them to be Holy.🙄
    Purple rain is in the Bible? 😲
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 11:52
    What about Michael Jackson?
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 11:52
    Originally posted by whodey
    Little red corvette.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 11:56

I can point to people who are real, Doc Watson, Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, D'Gary, Robert Johnson, Rev, Gary Davis, Mississippi John Hurt, Pete Seeger, Ronnie Gilbert, John Renbourn, Bert Jansch, Davy Graham to mention just a few folk virtuoso's.
    Folk music means plenty to me but I would never claim that folk music is much more meaningful than any music produced by rock icons, for example. If I did, then it'd be a fair cop m'lud if someone found my tastes "narrow". If you're saying that you personally like Doc Watson et al. very much but you find no meaning in rock (or whatever else) then fair enough. If someone instead claimed to find meaning in many different genres, it is highly unlikely they would have the word "narrowminded" uttered in their general direction. 😉
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 11:58

The fact that you're not interested in "rockstars" such as Prince, Freddie Mercury, John Lennon (although I suspect he might just be "folksy" enough for you), David Bowie, Michael Jackson and a whole host of others just because they don't fit into some kind of weird "must-be-in-the-realm-of-folkmusic" mold, really does make you the narrowminded one.

While Prince was far from my favorite artist, it would be downright folly to think the guy wasn't an absolute genius.

Open your mind, Sonhouse. The world isn't black and white.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 12:071 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Where did all these phrases and titles originate?

Do It All Night, Jack U Off, Do Me, Baby, Let's Pretend We're Married, Sexy M. F., Feel U Up, Irresistible Bitch, Scarlet Pussy, Kamasutra, Tell Me How U Wanna B Done, Madsex, Sex Me Sex Me Not, Here Eye Come, Kept Woman.

[1] The Bible

[2] Shakespeare

[3] Watchtower (or one of its readers)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree