Brother Prince is gone - RIP

Brother Prince is gone - RIP

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infidel

Moves
22 Apr 16

My bad, edited my post for the correct link.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Apr 16

Originally posted by Great King Rat
My bad, edited my post for the correct link.
I think I found the same link just gargling Prince unplugged🙂

T

Moves
22 Apr 16
2 edits

Originally posted by sonhouse
That video did not light up for me, says 'error occurred'. Are you saying there is an actual unplugged of Prince?

Guess I was wrong:

[youtube]VPwm6YHmlFU[/youtube]

Its pretty funny and also good, he goofed the words and the audience loved it.

For the most part, pop artists are in it for the money. Prince certainly made a lot of it.

Think of idiots like Justin Beaver🙂
For the most part, pop artists are in it for the money. Prince certainly made a lot of it.

So true. Not sure why so many seem to be ripping you.

Though pop performers ("artists" is a misnomer the vast majority of the time) are often lauded as "musical geniuses", for the most part they are instead "entertainment geniuses". It's really about the "show" (dance, lighting, pyrotechnics, etc.) rather than a demonstration of a deep understanding of music or instrumental virtuosity. LIke McDonald's, it's like so much pablum doled out to the masses.

Cape Town

Moves
22 Apr 16

I can't really judge him when I haven't heard much of him
You initially claimed to have judged him without listening to him at all.

I just don't like overproduced music.
Well then don't watch musicals. It remains your personal preference though and some of your comments have been downright insulting about someone you know nothing about - all because you appear to be jealous of the amount of money he makes. Yeah, narrow minded does seem to fit.

Would you ever see that at a pop fest?
I don't know. Do you?

Of course I know there would not be a few hundred in attendance, more like 20,000 but you get the idea. Intense rainstorm hits, killing sound, end of show.
Your excuses get wilder and wilder.
So lets get this straight, you don't like Prince's music because a rain storm could cancel one of his concerts?

Cape Town

Moves
22 Apr 16

Correlation is not causation. Prince made a lot of money because he was very good at what he did. That in no way whatsoever implies he was 'in it for the money'. The fact that you never got rich off making music is not because you weren't in it for the money, its because you just weren't that good. And boy are you jealous.

Cape Town

Moves
22 Apr 16

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
So true. Not sure why so many seem to be ripping you.
Have you been reading his posts? Seriously?

Though pop performers ("artists" is a misnomer the vast majority of the time) are often lauded as "musical geniuses", for the most part they are instead "entertainment geniuses".
That may be true for some. But take Michael Jackson for example. Many people listen to his songs because they are pleasurable to listen to - nothing to do with going to a pop concert.

It's really about the "show" (dance, lighting, pyrotechnics, etc.) rather than a demonstration of a deep understanding of music or instrumental virtuosity. LIke McDonald's, it's like so much pablum doled out to the masses.
And maybe 'good music' is what the masses like? Having a 'deep understanding of music' doesn't mean that what you write / sing or play is good music. Good music is music that people enjoy listening to.

T

Moves
22 Apr 16
3 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
Have you been reading his posts? Seriously?

[b]Though pop performers ("artists" is a misnomer the vast majority of the time) are often lauded as "musical geniuses", for the most part they are instead "entertainment geniuses".

That may be true for some. But take Michael Jackson for example. Many people listen to his songs because they are pleasurab ...[text shortened]... what you write / sing or play is good music. Good music is music that people enjoy listening to.[/b]
That may be true for some. But take Michael Jackson for example. Many people listen to his songs because they are pleasurable to listen to - nothing to do with going to a pop concert.

That doesn't mean Michael Jackson was a "musical genius". It merely means that his music was popular. They aren't one in the same.

Having a 'deep understanding of music' doesn't mean that what you write / sing or play is good music. Good music is music that people enjoy listening to.

This demonstrates my point exactly: "Good" film is what people enjoy watching (think car chases and sex scenes). "Good" food is what people enjoy eating (think McDonald's). "Good" literature is what people enjoy reading (think pulp fiction). And so on.

As I said, "Like so much pablum doled out to the masses..."

Cape Town

Moves
22 Apr 16

That doesn't mean Michael Jackson was a "musical genius". It merely means that his music was popular. They aren't one in the same.
I agree they are not one and the same, but surely it takes genius to create popular music? What does it mean to you? Frizzy hair?

This demonstrates my point exactly: "Good" film is what people enjoy watching (think car chases and sex scenes). "Good" food is what people enjoy eating (think McDonald's). "Good" literature is what people enjoy reading (think pulp fiction). And so on.

As I said, "Like so much pablum doled out to the masses..."

And you, feeling all superior, only read sophisticated literature and watch cult movies and eat from only the best restaurants?

Top grossing movies of all time by the first source I found:
Titanic
Star wars Ep VII

I would say all three were 'genius'.

I do know where you are coming from, but the point can be over done.

And Michael Jackson, was a genius. No doubt about it.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Apr 16
1 edit

Correlation is not causation. Prince made a lot of money because he was very good at what he did. That in no way whatsoever implies he was 'in it for the money'. The fact that you never got rich off making music is not because you weren't in it for the money, its because you just weren't that good. And boy are you jealous.
Who is being judgemental now? You who have never heard our music. I compose tunes for acoustic instruments and play a half dozen of them, although not all at once🙂 I have posts on my space, reverbnation and drop box. I can give you my myspace if you want, you can judge with real evidence then. My band Southwind did some significant gigs back in LA I can tell you that.

It certainly upped my opinion of Prince when I saw the unplugged video. Did you watch that one? Two of us put up the same link i think. It was really interesting for one thing being mostly unplugged (acoustic/electric guitar) but he screwed up the words to his own song and that was endearing and the audience loved it and actually helped out in later verses of the song.

The same thing happened on an early Dylan live performance something like 1964 or so, he screwed up the words and the audience sang them, quite touching. I was struck by the similarity to the Prince show I just saw.

Have to admit, I spent a lot more time listening to Dylan.

Cape Town

Moves
22 Apr 16
1 edit

Who is being judgemental now? You who have never heard our music.
You said yourself you get tiny audiences that can fit on the stage.
Your music is great. Your manager sucks.

My band Southwind did some significant gigs back in LA I can tell you that.
Oh, so when it comes to your music then you quote 'significant gigs' as a sign of quality, but when it comes to Prince, his 'significant gigs' are just a sign that he's 'in it for the money'?

T

Moves
22 Apr 16
3 edits

I agree they are not one and the same, but surely it takes genius to create popular music? What does it mean to you? Frizzy hair?

[b]This demonstrates my point exactly: "Good" film is what people enjoy watching (think car chases and sex scenes). "Good" food is what people enjoy eating (think McDonald's). "Good" literature is what people enjoy reading ...[text shortened]... g from, but the point can be over done.

No, it doesn't take "musical genius" to create popular music. For the most part what makes popular music popular is that it's easy to understand and easy to follow. In short, it's easy to digest (think pablum).

Do you similarly believe that it takes a culinary genius to create popular food? Was Ray Kroc a culinary genius?

An "entertainment genius", but I have no reason to believe that he was a "musical genius".

If you recall, this is where I started:
Though pop performers ("artists" is a misnomer the vast majority of the time) are often lauded as "musical geniuses", for the most part they are instead "entertainment geniuses".

You keep removing the distinction I was making in order to try to make your argument. Do you think that valid?

Infidel

Moves
22 Apr 16

Who is being judgemental now? You who have never heard our music. I compose tunes for acoustic instruments and play a half dozen of them, although not all at once🙂 I have posts on my space, reverbnation and drop box. I can give you my myspace if you want, you can judge with real evidence then. My band Southwind did some significant gigs back in LA I can te ...[text shortened]... ity to the Prince show I just saw.

Have to admit, I spent a lot more time listening to Dylan.
He didn't screw up the words one bit. He played the audience like an obvious entertainer and the audience was more than happy to play along.

Infidel

Moves
22 Apr 16

[b]I agree they are not one and the same, but surely it takes genius to create popular music? What does it mean to you? Frizzy hair?

No, it doesn't take "musical genius" to create popular music. For the most part what makes popular music popular is that it's easy to understand and easy to follow. In short, it's easy to digest (think pablum).

Do ...[text shortened]... tion I was making in order to try to make your argument. Do you think that valid?

.[/b]
What makes a musical genius, in your view?

T

Moves
22 Apr 16

Originally posted by Great King Rat
What makes a musical genius, in your view?
Read my first post on this topic. It should give you some idea.

Infidel

Moves
22 Apr 16

That video did not light up for me, says 'error occurred'. Are you saying there is an actual unplugged of Prince?

Guess I was wrong:

[youtube]VPwm6YHmlFU[/youtube]

Its pretty funny and also good, he goofed the words and the audience loved it.

Think of idiots like Justin Beaver🙂
People like Prince, Freddie Mercury and David Bowie didn't get into music because of the money, Sonhouse. They did so because, for lack of a better term, it was their calling. Going into the music business for money is a risky thing to do, and not many people can pull if off, let alone get rich from it.

I don't think you know half how f***ing talented these people were.