1. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 12:54
    Originally posted by whodey
    What about Michael Jackson?
    I don't think that Jackson was ever a Witness, I think its only his mother that was a Witness, his father certainly wasn't as far as I am aware.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 12:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Where did all these phrases and titles originate?

Do It All Night, Jack U Off, Do Me, Baby, Let's Pretend We're Married, Sexy M. F., Feel U Up, Irresistible Bitch, Scarlet Pussy, Kamasutra, Tell Me How U Wanna B Done, Madsex, Sex Me Sex Me Not, Here Eye Come, Kept Woman.

[1] The Bible

[2] Shakespeare

[3] Watchtower (or one of its readers)[/b]
    I get the feeling robbie carrobie didn't think much before starting this thread 😵
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 13:031 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I get the feeling robbie carrobie didn't think much before starting this thread 😵
    See thats your problem right there, you 'feel' things rather than reason with the mind.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 13:04
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think you are the narrowminded one.

I can point to people who are real, Doc Watson, Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, D'Gary, Robert Johnson, Rev, Gary Davis, Mississippi John Hurt, Pete Seeger, Ronnie Gilbert, John Renbourn, Bert Jansch, Davy Graham to mention just a few folk virtuoso's.
    But how would you know that those are more real than Prince if you admit to never having listened to any of his songs?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 13:15
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But how would you know that those are more real than Prince if you admit to never having listened to any of his songs?
    Lets say this: what has prince done for humanity, like did he ever walk with MLK? Some of those folks did, put their money where their mouth was.

I am not denying Prince was a genius. I am just saying he wasn't the only one and the people I mentioned could go to a fest or such without having to have a 747 to load all their equipment. Give 'em a guitar and a mike, they are off and running.

I was listening to Tom Power, a Canadian folk DJ, this morning and there were some songs played like one written by Ian Tyson, Early morning rain. The original was sublime, Ian and Sylvia just the two and a guitar.

But some Canadian bluegrass group 'jazzed' it up to such an extent I could hardly make out the words. As an example, here is a live version by Ian and Sylvia, just a few instruments and a surprise visit by Gordon Lightfoot, another genius:

BTW, the folk community was really bummed out when Ian and Sylvia split up.
    Together they were magic.

Anyway this from 1986.

YouTube
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 13:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Where did all these phrases and titles originate?

Do It All Night, Jack U Off, Do Me, Baby, Let's Pretend We're Married, Sexy M. F., Feel U Up, Irresistible Bitch, Scarlet Pussy, Kamasutra, Tell Me How U Wanna B Done, Madsex, Sex Me Sex Me Not, Here Eye Come, Kept Woman.

[1] The Bible

[2] Shakespeare

[3] Watchtower (or one of its readers)[/b]
    Prince certainly liked the ladies

Prince was known for his fondness of the ladies, and in light of his passing, ET is looking back at the special women who captured his heart.

The late GRAMMY winner was romantically linked to many celebrities, including Kim Basinger, Madonna, Sheila E. and Carmen Electra, but he was only married twice.

WATCH: Prince Found Dead in an Elevator, Police Continue to Investigate Death

When he was 37, he wed his 22-year-old backup singer and dancer Mayte Garcia on Valentine's Day in 1996. According to VH1, the former couple met six years earlier when Mayte was a 16-year-old dancing prodigy attending one of his concerts.

After their nuptials, Garcia became pregnant with their first child, and Prince shared with ET the joy he felt during the experience.

"The most profound thing that has happened to me is the way I view women now," Prince told ET in 1997. "Going through my wife's pregnancy had a really powerful effect on me. It just gave me the utmost respect for all of women."

WATCH: Celebs React to Prince's Death

Sadly their baby boy died just seven days after he was born due to Pfeiffer syndrome, which is a rare skull defect that causes pressure on the brain. The estranged couple would announce their breakup in 1998 when their union was annulled.

It wasn't long before Prince fell in love again. This time he said "I do" to Manuela Testolini during a private ceremony in 2001.

The two reportedly met when she was 24 working for Prince's charity, Love4OneAnother, and he was 43. The marriage lasted five years before they split amicably in 2006.

"Deciding to end the marriage was a very difficult decision for Ms. Nelson," Testolini's attorney, Edward Winer said at the time. "She is seeking a cooperative resolution of this case and hopes the proceeding will be resolved quickly and respectfully. Ms. Nelson continues to be focused on her charitable work and her business, which remain her top priority."

NEWS: Prince Dead at 57

Before getting married the first time, Prince reportedly had several notable flings.

Denise Matthews, better known as Vanity, met Prince at the American Music Awards in 1980 and the two soon hit it off. Prince renamed Matthews, Vanity, seeing her as the female form of himself.

Prince later placed Vanity as the lead singer of the girl group Vanity 6, but Vanity disbanded the group after their debut release in 1982.

Vanity died in February also at 57 from kidney failure. Her ailments were reportedly the result of years of crack cocaine abuse before she became in the '90s.

Madonna reportedly dated the icon briefly in 1985. Prince later helped produce her 1989 album Like a Prayer.

In 1989, Prince released a single called "The Scandalous Sex Suite," which featured moans that were attributed to Basinger. The actress' vocal contributions were rumored to have been taken from recordings of the two having sex.

Sheila E. wrote in her memoir The Beat of My Own Drum that she dated her mentor in the '80s, and even claimed that they were engaged.

PICS: A Look Back at Prince's Most Iconic Moments

Electra, another of Prince's proteges, reportedly dated the singer after meeting in 1991. She credits Prince with reinventing her and changing her name to Carmen. Electra's real name is Tara Leigh Patrick.

While Prince would re-invent himself many times throughout his life in the limelight, during ET's time with the legendary musician we learned he was a deeply spiritual man.

"I study all the time to keep myself grounded," Prince told ET in 1999. "I study the Bible and study life and love. If you spend your days doing that, you're pretty protected from the nonsense."
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 13:26
    Give 'em a guitar and a mike, they are off and running.
    You don't think Prince could do that??
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 13:272 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    Prince certainly liked the ladies

Prince was known for his fondness of the ladies, and in light of his passing, ET is looking back at the special women who captured his heart.

The late GRAMMY winner was romantically linked to many celebrities, including Kim Basinger, Madonna, Sheila E. and Carmen Electra, but he was only married twice.

WATCH: Prince ...[text shortened]... dy life and love. If you spend your days doing that, you're pretty protected from the nonsense."
    Prince became a brother in 2001 and I think that he attempted to distance himself from his previous lifestyle and work. I am no expert but I think he was something like The artist formerly known as Prince. The application of Biblical principles was clearly a protection for Prince and its wonderful to think that he made real changes in his life because of the teaching of the brothers.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 13:39
    Lets say this: what has prince done for humanity, like did he ever walk with MLK?
    I don't know. Do you?

I am not denying Prince was a genius. I am just saying he wasn't the only one...
    Nobody has claimed he was the only one.

... and the people I mentioned could go to a fest or such without having to have a 747 to load all their equipment.
    And what does that have to do with anything? Do you just hate people who use 747s? You are looking more narrow minded by the minute.

I was listening to Tom Power, a Canadian folk DJ, this morning and there were some songs played like one written by Ian Tyson, Early morning rain. The original was sublime, Ian and Sylvia just the two and a guitar.
    And my favourite songs right now are in Korean and I don't understand a word. But its lovely music.
    We all have our musical preferences. But to make a judgement about music you never listened to is just ridiculous. And your excuses so far are even more ridiculous. He didn't ever walk with MLK therefore his music is less meaningful to someone who did? That's not narrow minded, that's trying to make excuses.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 13:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    See thats your problem right there, you 'feel' things rather than reason with the mind.
    Did you "reason with your mind" before you started this thread?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 13:48
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    You don't think Prince could do that??
    Have you ever seen him unplugged? I am not trying to diss Prince by any means, in his field he was a genius, it's just that there are other geniuses out there too. I just think it more real if a dude can come to your living room and perform the same schtik in a living room chair that they could do on stage.

Even a bluegrass band can do that, for instance, Union station, all acoustic, they theoretically could come to your home and do a concert in your living room, which BTW, would be awesome, with dudes like Jerry Douglas, a virtuoso dobro player🙂

But a fully laden Prince consort? Forget it! Even if you would think it awesome it couldn't happen. And the same with any of the other pop stars, Madonna? Can you imagine her at a house concert? Lady Gaga?
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 13:523 edits
    Have you ever seen him unplugged? I am not trying to diss Prince by any means, in his field he was a genius, it's just that there are other geniuses out there too. I just think it more real if a dude can come to your living room and perform the same schtik in a living room chair that they could do on stage.

Even a bluegrass band can do that, for instanc ...[text shortened]... ame with any of the other pop stars, Madonna? Can you imagine her at a house concert? Lady Gaga?
    Fair enough. Not just a guitar and a mic, also a barstool: YouTube. I could easily see him do this in a living room setting.

I never claimed there aren't other geniuses out there. You're the one not being interested in "rock icons" just because they're not folk artists.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 13:56
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I don't know. Do you?

[b]I am not denying Prince was a genius. I am just saying he wasn't the only one...

Nobody has claimed he was the only one.

... and the people I mentioned could go to a fest or such without having to have a 747 to load all their equipment.
    And what does that have to do with anything? Do you just hate people who use ...[text shortened]... is less meaningful to someone who did? That's not narrow minded, that's trying to make excuses.[/b]
    Well, I listened to Purple Rain and of course that is just one example of a huge volume of work and you are right, I can't really judge him when I haven't heard much of him but I didn't much like PR that much, I just don't like overproduced music. As a paid folkie, we do things unplugged a lot. One festival we were at in Bethlehem Pa, we were on a closed over stage but the audience was not so lucky, a torrential rainstorm hit just as we went onstage and it was so intense for a while, it shorted out the audio stuff and people were still there covered in plastic waiting for the audio dudes to get sound back.

So instead, my wife invited the audience onstage where at least it was dry and so about 30 folks (out of the 500 who started to attend before the rain started), came on stage and we got chairs for them to sit in and we continued with our show, no mikes, just us, our vocals and a couple of instruments.

Would you ever see that at a pop fest? Of course I know there would not be a few hundred in attendance, more like 20,000 but you get the idea. Intense rainstorm hits, killing sound, end of show.
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 14:07
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    When the interview was over, he offered me eternal life — and a contact I could call day or night

In 2004, Prince had the highest-grossing tour in the world — surpassing even Madonna — simply because he chose to. With a strong new album in Musicology and decades of hits to back him up, he put on an amazing series of in-the-round, tour de force sho ...[text shortened]... ive about him. I’m gonna miss that guy.

http://time.com/4303703/prince-dead-jehovahs-witness/
    Sad he was a JW 🙁
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 14:102 edits
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Fair enough. Not just a guitar and a mic, also a barstool: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPwm6YHmlFU[/youtube]. I could easily see him do this in a living room setting.

I never claimed there aren't other geniuses out there. You're the one not being interested in "rock icons" just because they're not folk artists.
    That video did not light up for me, says 'error occurred'. Are you saying there is an actual unplugged of Prince?

Guess I was wrong:

YouTube

Its pretty funny and also good, he goofed the words and the audience loved it.

For the most part, pop artists are in it for the money. Prince certainly made a lot of it.

Think of idiots like Justin Beaver🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree