1. London
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 08:56
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    It was hardly 'active' euthanasia - she'd be (and, indeed, is) dead without the machines! It's more "active anti-euthanasia".
    Which machines?

IIRC, all she had was a feeding tube.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 09:142 edits
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Slanders? What slanders are we parroting?

[b/]Court cases and autopsies don't mean anything to the Crusaders against the "Culture of Death".

Court cases aren't absolute truth - no. Especially not this one.

As for autopsies, the autopsy doesn't tell us what Terri's brain was like in the 90s, does it?

Nor does the fact that Terri, like standards not to show moral outrage at the opening post (and others) in this thread?
    You're really demented. The moral outrage was at Bruno's being burnt alive, something that you apparently don't feel is worthy of any moral outrage at (if it is done by the RCC).

You know perfectly well what insinuations you're making; they were all over the press and these forums last year. I trust court cases and autopsies more than the uninformed views of religious fanatics. But hey that's just me (and Western civilization since the Enlightenment).
  3. London
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 09:46
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You're really demented. The moral outrage was at Bruno's being burnt alive, something that you apparently don't feel is worthy of any moral outrage at (if it is done by the RCC).

You know perfectly well what insinuations you're making; they were all over the press and these forums last year. I trust court cases and autopsies more than the uninf ...[text shortened]... igious fanatics. But hey that's just me (and Western civilization since the Enlightenment).
    Who said I don't feel Bruno's execution is not worthy of moral outrage? It's a different matter that, unlike some, I don't let my moral outrage at his death whitewash my evaluation of his philosophy.

Well, apparently you know better than I do what insinuations I'm making. I trust court cases and autopsies too - but I am aware of their limitations and failings as well.

Funny you should bring up the Enlightenment...
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 09:53
    Which machines?

IIRC, all she had was a feeding tube.
    fine, without the feeding tube she's dead. She wasn't about to go out to McDonalds.
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 09:55
    Originally posted by Halitose
    I define passive euthanasia as the removal of extraordinary medical care (e.g. ventilators etc.) and allowing the body to die a natural death; so by my definition (which takes such things as antibiotics and food as ordinary care) she was actively euthanised.
    is someone 'alive' if they have no brain activity? Aren't you christians always telling us about this soul thing, and the physical body is just a shell...
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 10:02
    fine, without the feeding tube she's dead. She wasn't about to go out to McDonalds.
    Did you intend to imply that all handicapped or otherwise disabled people who have no ability to provide for their own food should be allowed to die of hunger/thirst?
  7. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 10:06
    is someone 'alive' if they have no brain activity? Aren't you christians always telling us about this soul thing, and the physical body is just a shell...
    IIRC she was in a coma, not brain dead. Btw, I agree with the definition of death being the irreversible cessation of brain activity.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 10:281 edit
    Who said I don't feel Bruno's execution is not worthy of moral outrage? It's a different matter that, unlike some, I don't let my moral outrage at his death whitewash my evaluation of his philosophy.

Well, apparently you know better than I do what insinuations I'm making. I trust court cases and autopsies too - but I am aware of their limitations and failings as well.

Funny you should bring up the Enlightenment...
    You're such a liar; you try to ridicule my "moral outrage" at Bruno's death and other atrocities every chance you get. Don't now pretend you share it; it's tooooooooooo much BS. You positively dripped satisfaction that Galileo was humbled by your monster Church; he was "arrogant" after all! You're one sick SOB.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 10:30
    IIRC she was in a coma, not brain dead. Btw, I agree with the definition of death being the irreversible cessation of brain activity.
    Persistant vegetative state is not a coma. It's a bit more serious!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistent_vegetative_state

"PVS is also known as cortical death, although it is not the same as coma or brain death.

Patients in a persistent vegetative state are usually considered to be unconscious and unaware. They are unresponsive to external stimuli, except, possibly, pain stimuli. Unlike coma, in which the patient's eyes are closed, patients in a vegetative state often open their eyes. They may experience sleep-wake cycles, or be in a state of chronic wakefulness. They may exhibit some behaviors that can be construed as arising from partial consciousness, such as grinding their teeth, swallowing, smiling, shedding tears, grunting, moaning, or screaming without any apparent external stimulus."

The chance of recovery after 6 months is effective nil.

Allowing Schiavo to die is different from not feeding disabled people, since they have the capacity to suffer - she did not.
  10. London
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 10:33
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You're such a liar; you try to ridicule my "moral outrage" at Bruno's death and other atrocities every chance you get. Don't now pretend you share it; it's tooooooooooo much BS. You positively dripped satisfaction that Galileo was humbled by your monster Church; he was "arrogant" after all! You're one sick SOB.
    I don't ridicule your "moral outrage", just the selectivity you apply in realising it and the level to which you let it cloud your judgment.
  11. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 10:33
    Persistant vegetative state is not a coma. It's a bit more serious!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistent_vegetative_state

"PVS is also known as cortical death, although it is not the same as coma or brain death.

Patients in a persistent vegetative state are usually considered to be unconscious and unaware. They are unresponsive to externa ...[text shortened]... rent from not feeding disabled people, since they have the capacity to suffer - she did not.
    Allowing Schiavo to die is different from not feeding disabled people, since they have the capacity to suffer - she did not.

Do you have some way of objectively measuring this?
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 10:48
    I don't ridicule your "moral outrage", just the selectivity you apply in realising it and the level to which you let it cloud your judgment.
    That statement is simply ironic from a "see no evil" propagandist for an institution responsible for a myriad of atrocities.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 10:49
    [b]Allowing Schiavo to die is different from not feeding disabled people, since they have the capacity to suffer - she did not.

Do you have some way of objectively measuring this?[/b]
    The big empty spot where her brain was supposed to be?
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 10:571 edit
    [b]Allowing Schiavo to die is different from not feeding disabled people, since they have the capacity to suffer - she did not.

Do you have some way of objectively measuring this?[/b]
    brain scans. no response in the cognitive centres associated with consciousness, no suffering. Whizz-bang stuff, that!
  15. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 10:58
    Indeed, the frog would just have to generate the 25,000 mile per hour escape velocity (within the arc of its hip and knee joints) and become heat-resistant.
    lol

That was an extremely amusing phrase to me, right there. 😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree