1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 10:59
    Originally posted by stocken
    lol

That was an extremely amusing phrase to me, right there. 😵
    Thanks! It just seemed a reasonable idea to impress upon LH exactly what miracle the frog would need!
  2. London
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 12:48
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That statement is simply ironic from a "see no evil" propagandist for an institution responsible for a myriad of atrocities.
    LOL!
  3. London
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 13:09
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Thanks! It just seemed a reasonable idea to impress upon LH exactly what miracle the frog would need!
    My question is - would the frog need a miracle at all?
  4. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 13:21
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    No. A frog jumping from Earth to Jupiter in a single bound does not entail a logical contradiction, but the probability that such an event will occur is 0, because it entails a violation of the physical laws of the universe.
    Actually, yes.

You neglect to take into account the fact that your certainty that particular physical laws will always obtain can never quite each 100%, but can can merely asymptotically approach it. This is the consequence of your being a fallible human being who must rely on probabilistic inference about empirical reality. So, given that a very small uncertainty must remain about whether particular physical laws will always obtain, there must by extension remain a very small uncertainty about whether events that such laws prohibit--such as a frog jumping from Earth to Jupiter in a single bound--will never take place.
  5. London
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 13:27
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    Actually, yes.

You neglect to take into account the fact that your certainty that particular physical laws will always obtain can never quite each 100%, but can can merely asymptotically approach it. This is the consequence of your being a fallible human being who must rely on probabilistic inference about empirical reality. So, given that a very sm ...[text shortened]... prohibit--such as a frog jumping from Earth to Jupiter in a single bound--will never take place.
    Thank you - that's what I've been trying to say.
  6. Joined
    01 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 14:23
    Originally posted by Halitose
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8225637/ 😕
    the woman halfway down that webpage has really nice breasts. with a chest like that i just might start going to church
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 16:50
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    In QM, I think the answer would be - no.
    The Bible claims that the sun once stood still above Jericho. Is the Bible wrong on this point?
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 17:165 edits
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole

You neglect to take into account the fact that your certainty that particular physical laws will always obtain can never quite each 100%, but can can merely asymptotically approach it.
    Accurate probabilistic assessments do not require certainty. If they did, then the whole science of probability would be pointless as it would have no application in reality. Clearly accurate probabilisitc descriptions and predictions about the universe are made, so it must be that they do not rely on certainty. All they rely on is the incorporation of all available information, which does not include skeptical musings.

Based on all information available to me, I maintain that frogs jump from Earth to Jupiter with probability 0. This claim does not preclude me from entertaining the skeptical ideas that perhaps frogs are much stronger than they appear, or that the earth's escape velocity is much lower than it appears, or in general, that the universe isn't as the available information, from which alone probabilities are derived, depicts it.
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 18:59
    Originally posted by Halitose
    IIRC she was in a coma, not brain dead. Btw, I agree with the definition of death being the irreversible cessation of brain activity.
    Your recollection is incorrect. She was in a prolonged 'persistant
    vegetative state.' As a result of her seizure, blood going to certain
    parts of the brain -- in this case, the vast majority of the cerebrum --
    was cut off. Over the many years without blood, the brain tissue
    atrophied and, subsequently, disappeared. In its place was basically
    fluid.

Because she still had (part?) of her cerebellum and all of her medula
    oblongata, she still had basic reaction to stimuli that Scott mentioned,
    but it was autonomic, not conscious (because all of the brain that
    contributed to her capacity for consciousness was gone).

She was not brain dead in a clinical sense because her 'lower brain'
    was still functional. However, all of the brain that made her 'Terri' was
    long dead and literally gone. As a consequence, her husband as the
    executor of her wishes felt it appropriate to discontinue the support of
    her body since all of that parts of her brain that made her 'Terri' was
    deceased.

Does this clear it up for you?

Nemesio
  10. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 19:021 edit
    The Bible claims that the sun once stood still above Jericho. Is the Bible wrong on this point?
    Careful. That event occured in the aftermath of the Battle of Gibeon in "the valley of Aijalon." (See Joshua 10).

The Battle of Gibeon occurred after the Battle of Jericho, where the Israelites marched around the Great Walls of Jericho once each day for six days and then marched around the walls seven times all the while blowing trumpets on the seventh day. On the last time around, they let off a mighty trumpet blast and all the israelites shouted. The walls fell down, and the Israelites rushed in and did what pleases their bloodthirsty god: they "destroyed with the sword every living thing in it—men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep and donkeys."
    (See Joshua 6)
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 19:14
    Originally posted by telerion
    Careful. That event occured in the aftermath of the Battle of Gibeon in "the valley of Aijalon." (See Joshua 10).

The Battle of Gibeon occurred after the Battle of Jericho, where the Israelites marched around the Great Walls of Jericho once each day for six days and then marched around the walls seven times all the while blowing trumpets on the seventh ...[text shortened]... living thing in it—men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep and donkeys."
    (See Joshua 6)
    I can see the men, women and children and even the sheep and cattle, but donkeys are soooooooooo funny! Why would almighty Jehovah want to wipe out an animal that He knew was destined to be so hilarious in Shrek?
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 00:35
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Actually, it doesn't. I'm sure there is a solution to a wave-function with an amplitude equal to the distance between Earth and Jupiter.
    right after I get back from Jupiter , I will wave my function at you.
  13. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 01:08
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I can see the men, women and children and even the sheep and cattle, but donkeys are soooooooooo funny! Why would almighty Jehovah want to wipe out an animal that He knew was destined to be so hilarious in Shrek?
    No sense of humor, maybe?
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 01:21
    Accurate probabilistic assessments do not require certainty. If they did, then the whole science of probability would be pointless as it would have no application in reality. Clearly accurate probabilisitc descriptions and predictions about the universe are made, so it must be that they do not rely on certainty. All they rely on is the incorporati ...[text shortened]... se isn't as the available information, from which alone probabilities are derived, depicts it.
    Plus, the frog would burn up in the atmosphere too. Unless it had some real good heat shielding....
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '04
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 01:27
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    right after I get back from Jupiter , I will wave my function at you.
    There once was a curious frog
    Who sat by a pond on a log
    And, to see what resulted
    When he catupulted
    All one could see was the fog

gil

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree