1. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 02:22
    Originally posted by Halitose
    IIRC she was in a coma, not brain dead. Btw, I agree with the definition of death being the irreversible cessation of brain activity.
    So, one functioning neuron is sufficient for being alive? That's dumb.
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 05:53
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Your recollection is incorrect. She was in a prolonged 'persistant
    vegetative state.' As a result of her seizure, blood going to certain
    parts of the brain -- in this case, the vast majority of the cerebrum --
    was cut off. Over the many years without blood, the brain tissue
    atrophied and, subsequently, disappeared. In its place was basically
    fluid ...[text shortened]... brain that made her 'Terri' was
    deceased.

Does this clear it up for you?

Nemesio
    Such a clear distinction would be quite convenient. I think medically the line is much more blurred than it seems from your post.
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 05:55
    Originally posted by bbarr
    So, one functioning neuron is sufficient for being alive? That's dumb.
    Would one functioning neuron be alive for more than a couple minutes without another couple million that control respiration/digestion etc?
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 06:032 edits
    Such a clear distinction would be quite convenient. I think medically the line is much more blurred than it seems from your post.
    There is no subjectivity to the material in my post, thus no blurring to be made in
    Terri Schiavo's case.

She did in fact have a stroke which resulted in the permanent cutting off of blood
    to her cerebrum. Her cerebrum did in fact atrophy and subsequently disappear.
    Those elements which make her a substantive person -- the capacity for consciousness,
    personality, experience, memory, and so forth -- were literally not present and,
    since brain tissue does not regenerate, had no chance of ever becoming present in
    the future. All that was present were the functions which control her autonomic
    responses -- like breathing or heart palpitations -- and reflex reaction to stimuli.

These facts are not in any medical dispute.

Nemesio
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 06:10
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    There is no subjectivity to the material in my post, thus no blurring to be made in
    Terri Schiavo's case.

She did in fact have a stroke which resulted in the permanent cutting off of blood
    to her cerebrum. Her cerebrum did in fact atrophy and subsequently disappear.
    Those elements which make her a substantive person -- the capacity for consciousness, ...[text shortened]... ns -- and reflex reaction to stimuli.

These facts are not in any medical dispute.

Nemesio
    Those elements which make her a substantive person -- the capacity for consciousness,
    personality, experience, memory, and so forth -- were literally not present and...

Walk in the subjectivity. It's when another decides for you that your life is not worth living.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 06:301 edit
    [b]Those elements which make her a substantive person -- the capacity for consciousness,
    personality, experience, memory, and so forth -- were literally not present and...

Walk in the subjectivity. It's when another decides for you that your life is not worth living.[/b]
    She decided for herself that she would not have wanted to live in such a state and made statements to that effect. There is no "subjectivity" involved except her own. Polls in the US indicate that about 90% of Americans would make the same decision for themselves.
  7. London
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 07:24
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    The Bible claims that the sun once stood still above Jericho. Is the Bible wrong on this point?
    Even without QM or HUP I would think the Bible was not being historically accurate on that point.

You're not talking to dj2, remember?
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 16:03
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Even without QM or HUP I would think the Bible was not being historically accurate on that point.
    Which parts of the Bible does the RCC hold to be fictional?
  9. London
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 16:29
    Which parts of the Bible does the RCC hold to be fictional?
    Very little, actually. AFAIK, the Genesis creation account is the only section where the Church explicitly teaches that the language is figurative.
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 16:31
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Very little, actually. AFAIK, the Genesis creation account is the only section where the Church explicitly teaches that the language is figurative.
    So the Church holds that the Jericho account is historical, and you disagree about that?
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 16:422 edits
    So the Church holds that the Jericho account is historical, and you disagree about that?
    I don't think that the Church HOLDS that the Jericho account is historical OR fictional. I don't believe either belief is required dogma.

EDIT: When I went to Catholic school long ago it was taught as if it really happened though I think they glossed over the slaughtering of children and donkeys part.
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 16:44
    Walk in the subjectivity. It's when another decides for you that your life is not worth living.
    First: Do you acknowledge that the personality of 'Terri' was irrevocably destroyed given
    the absence of the majority of her cerebrum (the parts known to be the sites of personality)?
    Do you acknowledge that her capacity for consciousness was irrevocably destroyed?

If you don't, then you dispute the scientific facts of the case.

Second: What is it about brain death that you deem sufficient cause for removing life
    support that lacking a cerebrum lacks? That is, which capacities are enough to merit being
    preserved?

Third: Do you deny that a person's spouse should be the executor of their wishes in the case
    of medical trauma such as this?

Nemesio
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 16:521 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder

I don't think that the Church HOLDS that the Jericho account is historical OR fictional. I don't believe either belief is required dogma.

When I went to Catholic school long ago it was taught as if it really happened though I think they glossed over the slaughtering of children and donkeys part.
    Sounds like another case of Simon Says. They teach it's true without "officially" teaching that it's true. Shameful that they'd run such a play on children.
  14. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 17:05
    [b]Those elements which make her a substantive person -- the capacity for consciousness,

Walk in the subjectivity. It's when another decides for you that your life is not worth living.[/b]
    There was no 'you' there, in Schiavo's case. She had no mental life.
  15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 17:18
    Originally posted by bbarr
    There was no 'you' there, in Schiavo's case. She had no mental life.
    Does this really matter in the context of the actual euthanasia practice ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree