1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 13:261 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    You keep telling us WHAT!

I want to know HOW.

Is that too much for you to explain? Or is it that you just don't know?
    I'm sure I've answered this before, but maybe your memory isn't too good.

In the words of Jesus:

Matthew 7:21
    Not everyone who says to me,'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven

John 8:32-33
    So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

John 14:21-22
    He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself unto him.

Luke 9:23-24
    "And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him DENY HIMSELF, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it."
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 13:41
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I'm sure I've answered this before, but maybe your memory isn't too good.

In the words of Jesus:

Not everyone who says to me,'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven

John 8:32-33
    So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, t ...[text shortened]... e shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it."
    You keep saying WHAT we have to do.

Now tell us HOW we are to do it.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 13:491 edit
    You keep saying WHAT we have to do.

Now tell us HOW we are to do it.
    Jesus says that it's by loving/following His commandments, i.e., God's will and by denying yourself.

What are you expecting? Something as silly as reciting an incantation like, "I profess belief that Jesus died for everyone's sins"?
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 14:11
    Jesus says that it's by loving/following His commandments, i.e., God's will and by denying yourself.

What are you expecting? Something as silly as reciting an incantation like, "I profess belief that Jesus died for everyone's sins"?
    Joh 10:15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

Be careful ThinkOfOne, you're getting dangerously close to blaspheming the word of God.

Joh 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

Again I ask you, HOW do we do what it is you keep telling us to do?
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 14:291 edit
    Joh 10:15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

Be careful ThinkOfOne, you're getting dangerously close to blaspheming the word of God.

Joh 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

Again I ask you, HOW do we do what it is you keep telling us to do?
    "Believe" is an ambigous word that can mean anything from a slight inclination to a strongly held imperative. So we have to look elsewhere for Jesus to establish what is required, which He does in verses such as this:

Not everyone who says to me,'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

John 8:32-36
    So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

Asked and answered. Evidently the words of Jesus aren't good enough for you. Again I ask you, what are you expecting?
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 14:562 edits
    "Believe" is an ambigous word that can mean anything from a slight inclination to a strongly held imperative. So we have to look elsewhere for Jesus to establish what is required, which He does in verses such as this:

Not everyone who says to me,'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but [b]he who does the will of my Father y the words of Jesus aren't good enough for you. Again I ask you, what are you expecting?
    [/b]Well said. Here is another passage in James 1:

22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deluding your own selves.
    23 For if any one is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a mirror:
    24 for he beholdeth himself, and goeth away, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
    25 But he that looketh into the perfect law, the [law] of liberty, and [so] continueth, being not a hearer that forgetteth but a doer that worketh, this man shall be blessed in his doing.
    26 If any man thinketh himself to be religious, while he bridleth not his tongue but deceiveth his heart, this man`s religion is vain.
    27 Pure religion and undefiled before our God and Father is this, to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, [and] to keep oneself unspotted from the world.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 15:14
    Originally posted by badmoon
    He likes jazz. leave him the hell alone.
    Good one 🙂
  8. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 15:361 edit

I think what he means by "HOW" is more the nuts and bolts of things. For example how does one come to know God's will , or how does one go about denying oneself. These sorts of questions.

If you can't provide mechanics or examples then it's a bit like saying to someone "don't be depressed!" -to which the answer might be " duh!? If only I had thought of that before!"

For me the interesting question is also whether your belief in Jesus's words is across the full range of his teachings and also integrated with all the other beliefs that Jesus held. For example , do you believe in a Father /Creator God? Or the Holy Spirit?
  9. weedhopper
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 21:471 edit
    Originally posted by pritybetta
    It doesn't exist in the Bible? Then how do you explain these verses?

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

1Pe 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
    pritybetta 3 ; Rajk 0.
  10. weedhopper
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 21:48
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    You are using an antiquated Bible, and consequently it is riddled with translation errors. The term
    should be translated as 'from above' in Jesus' mouth. This is the only way the dialogue with
    Nicodemus makes any sense (otherwise Jesus is correcting him by saying exactly the same thing).

Nemesio
    well, isn't That conVEENient? 🙂
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Jun '08 00:111 edit
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    I think what he means by "HOW" is more the nuts and bolts of things. For example how does one come to know God's will , or how does one go about denying oneself. These sorts of questions.

If you can't provide mechanics or examples then it's a bit like saying to someone "don't be depressed!" -to which the answer might be " duh!? If only I had thoug esus held. For example , do you believe in a Father /Creator God? Or the Holy Spirit?
    For you, you might want to start with humility.
  12. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    29 Jun '08 11:24
    For you, you might want to start with humility.
    Tell me about your humility. Is it your humility that makes you refuse to answer questions?
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Jun '08 11:41

Not everyone who says to me,'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but [b]he who does the will of my Father ...[text shortened]... y the words of Jesus aren't good enough for you. Again I ask you, what are you expecting?
    Perhaps "believe" is ambiguous to you, and that's why the depth of your arguments leaves one wondering if the rest of your "beliefs" aren't contrived.

If you can't answer the simple question as to HOW one is going to obey "the words of Jesus", then your assertions are empty and meaningless. You're going to have to go a step further if you want your arguments to have greater strength.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Jun '08 12:07
    Perhaps "believe" is ambiguous to you, and that's why the depth of your arguments leaves one wondering if the rest of your "beliefs" aren't contrived.

If you can't answer the simple question as to HOW one is going to obey "the words of Jesus", then your assertions are empty and meaningless. You're going to have to go a step further if you want your arguments to have greater strength.
    Matt 13:

9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
    10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
    11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
    12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
    13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Jun '08 12:19
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Matt 13:

9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
    10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
    11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
    12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abunda ...[text shortened]... in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
    So? What are you trying to say?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree