1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 03:27
    The answer is no. But it's late and I'm going to bed. So you all will just have to wait for me to explain why later.
    I promise it will be good!
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 03:33
    Originally posted by josephw
    The answer is no. But it's late and I'm going to bed. So you all will just have to wait for me to explain why later.
    If they are sick, yes.
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 04:591 edit
    Let me help with a few questions for you to develop.

1) Have I ever been in psychotherapy? If not, how can I speak authoritatively on this question?

2) Is it possible that God may ever use this as a means of recovery?

3) Did Christ ever use any "counseling" technique as he ministered to people?

4) Is there not a place for psychotherapy in light of the many emotional wounds that some have experienced in the name of "religion"?

5) Is AA (and other recovery programs) valid in its concept of the use of a "Higher Power"?
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 05:33
    Can a Scientologist benefit from psychotherapy?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 05:36
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Can a Scientologist benefit from psychotherapy?
    They do every day in terms of you paying for it.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 06:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    They do every day in terms of you paying for it.
    Huh?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 12:07
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Huh?
    Scientologists have their members pay for "sessions" in which they help you overcome problems in your life. For example, if one were to have depression, one would simply take a "class" on how to overcome depression. They feel as though you have within you the mental capability to overcome anything and that all one needs to do is simply tap into such capabilities. I don't know if you remember, but Tom Cruze recently made remarks about Brook Shields taking antidepressive medications to help her with her depression. It was of his opinion based upon being indoctrinated with this stuff that medications were not the answer, rather, all she really needed was to pay for one of these classes.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 12:35
    Originally posted by whodey
    Scientologists have their members pay for "sessions" in which they help you overcome problems in your life. For example, if one were to have depression, one would simply take a "class" on how to overcome depression. They feel as though you have within you the mental capability to overcome anything and that all one needs to do is simply tap into such capabil ...[text shortened]... ons were not the answer, rather, all she really needed was to pay for one of these classes.
    This is essentially what I was wanting to know from Josephw. The story you just recounted is in fact almost identical to the thinking of many churches: you don't need this kind of help if you have Jesus. Or as I heard one preacher say, "you don't need the twelve steps if you have the one way."

I am hoping Josephw will address my questions and maybe perhaps if given a choice between a Christian surgeon and a Jewish surgeon, which he would choose.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 13:012 edits
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    This is essentially what I was wanting to know from Josephw. The story you just recounted is in fact almost identical to the thinking of many churches: you don't need this kind of help if you have Jesus. Or as I heard one preacher say, "you don't need the twelve steps if you have the one way."

I am hoping Josephw will address my questions and mayb ...[text shortened]... s if given a choice between a Christian surgeon and a Jewish surgeon, which he would choose.
    I think when one turns to Christ, one is conceeding that the answers do not lie within, rather, the answers lie outside their own power and capabilities. One is also conceeding that Christ has the answers, so to speak, and that through seeking him such answers can be found. Such answers after seeking the face of God MAY, in fact, be in turning to others for help whether they be Christian or otherwise.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 13:16
    Why do they separate psychological help from medical help? I have always wondered why people who claim that faith healing exists still get sick and still go to hospital.

I had a friend whos father was a 'witch doctor' (an African Traditional healer often claiming to have magical powers) yet when his son (my friend) got sick he took him to the hospital.

I do think that some problems that are treated with psychotherapy can be treated by being a member of a social club like a church or the AA etc. They say that people who have pets are generally healthier probably due to the extra social interaction.
  11. London
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 15:31
    Let me help with a few questions for you to develop.

1) Have I ever been in psychotherapy? If not, how can I speak authoritatively on this question?

2) Is it possible that God may ever use this as a means of recovery?

3) Did Christ ever use any "counseling" technique as he ministered to people?

4) Is there not a place for psychotherapy in li ...[text shortened]... ) Is AA (and other recovery programs) valid in its concept of the use of a "Higher Power"?
    Could you answer the questions for yourself, reverend?
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 16:48
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Could you answer the questions for yourself, reverend?
    Be glad to.

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Something as basic as Jesus' response "Do you want to be well?" would be a good example. Another example would be his understanding of family systems when he talks about family members turning against one another or the account of the prodigal son.

4) Yes

5) Yes
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 22:551 edit
    I would not go that far Joe.

I think a Christian could possibly benefit from psychotherapy in some instances.
  14. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 23:00
    Of course Christians can benefit from psycho-therapy, same as he or she can benefit from going to see a doctor.
  15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 23:02
    I promise it will be good![/b]
    😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree