Can God make a rock that He cannot lift?

Can God make a rock that He cannot lift?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
18 Oct 12

Originally posted by LemonJello
[b]What about the act of omnipotent X limiting (in some way) X's own omnipotence, such that, in the specified way, X's ability to act is limited; X lacks full potency in that way? Is this impossible?

The question can have two versions. (1) Can X limit X's potency "for the time being" or conditionally, such that X can cancel the limitation or state a co ...[text shortened]... ch opinion on this, except that sure seems like a tough row to hoe.
I can't thank you enough for your reply. I think there is nothing I can add.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
19 Oct 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Some of them, yes. Like jumping to another planet from ours.
If that is logically possible, then I am sure we will be able to do it given some time and the will, in fact I have already started to scribble down some design's for the boots on the back of a postage stamp.

Moves
19 Oct 12

Originally posted by kevcvs57
If that is logically possible, then I am sure we will be able to do it given some time and the will, in fact I have already started to scribble down some design's for the boots on the back of a postage stamp.
It is logically possible for you to jump to another planet right now.

[pedantic mode] It's not nomologically possible, i.e. it would violate the (so-called) laws of nature, those relating gravity to the physiological laws that determine the maximum thrust you (you, here, now) can generate by jumping,

But it is logically possible for the universe to have different laws.

That's how "logically possible" works. [/pedantic mode]

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 Oct 12

Originally posted by JS357
It is logically possible for you to jump to another planet right now.

[pedantic mode] It's not nomologically possible, i.e. it would violate the (so-called) laws of nature, those relating gravity to the physiological laws that determine the maximum thrust you (you, here, now) can generate by jumping,

But it is logically possible for the universe to have different laws.

That's how "logically possible" works. [/pedantic mode]
Since it all came about in the BB, atoms here are exactly the same as ones 10 billion light years away, it is not logical to assume laws are different there than here.

What IS logically possible is the many universe theory, in that theory, an entire universe might be born where the speed of light is slower than the speed of sound, if there was light in such a universe, but the idea is different universes may have different laws than in our universe. THAT can be logical.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
20 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
Since it all came about in the BB, atoms here are exactly the same as ones 10 billion light years away, it is not logical to assume laws are different there than here.

What IS logically possible is the many universe theory, in that theory, an entire universe might be born where the speed of light is slower than the speed of sound, if there was light in s ...[text shortened]... e idea is different universes may have different laws than in our universe. THAT can be logical.
I am pretty sure you and JS357 are in agreement on this, now if someone could tell me what nomological means.

It's ok I googled it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Oct 12

Originally posted by LemonJello
[b]what I was looking for was the bigger question, "Is God in total control of every thing that happens?"
Most theist's say yes, to which I disagree...because then God gets blamed for every thing, good or bad...and the scripture is contradicted..

Hmmm, I was under the impression that most theists would say no to this "bigger question" of yours bec ...[text shortened]... e will (of a libertarian sort) that features into, for example, their attempts at theodicy.[/b]
Actually most of them say yes, that he is in total control. Even if a person is killed in a car accident, they say God "took" them. The same can be said of any Christian that dies, in any instance.
They seem to distance themselves from the spiritual war going on around them. So Satan gets away with murder.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
21 Oct 12

*an unassisted jump

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
21 Oct 12

*an unassisted jump
Are you claiming that a 'Homo Sapien' escaping earths atmosphere and reaching another planet unaided is logically possible.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
22 Oct 12

Are you claiming that a 'Homo Sapien' escaping earths atmosphere and reaching another planet unaided is logically possible.
Yes.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
22 Oct 12

Yes.
Then thy will be done, happy landings.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
22 Oct 12

Then thy will be done, happy landings.
My will is that ye look up 'logically possible' and discover its meaning.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
22 Oct 12

My will is that ye look up 'logically possible' and discover its meaning.
My will is that you stop tying yourself in knots. explain how a homo sapien jumping of the planet is logically possible, in your own words.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
22 Oct 12
2 edits

My will is that you stop tying yourself in knots. explain how a homo sapien jumping of the planet is logically possible, in your own words.
You're confusing physically possible and logically possible.

It is neither logically possible, nor physically possible for homo-sapiens to simultaneously jump off the planet and be inside it.
It *is* logically possible
supposing, for example, a miracle occurs giving said homo-sapien magic fairy glitter leg power, imbuing him/her with the ability to leap distant planets in a single bound!
for homo-sapiens to jump off the planet, but not physically possible
magic has no place in the physical universe

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
22 Oct 12
2 edits

Easy. It is logically possible because there is no inherent contradiction in the idea.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
22 Oct 12

Originally posted by Agerg
You're confusing physically possible and logically possible.

It is neither logically possible, nor physically possible for homo-sapiens to simultaneously jump off the planet and be inside it.
It *is* logically possible[hidden]supposing, for example, a miracle occurs giving said homo-sapien magic fairy glitter leg power, imbuing him/her with the ability to ...[text shortened]... lanet, but not physically possible[hidden]magic has no place in the physical universe[/hidden].
I offered to make the boots myself, are our intellect and tool making abilities not part of our innate physicality.