1. London
    Moves
    23 May '05 15:10
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    see here's the problem:

each time mathew 25 has been discussed in here "fundies" have challenged the word of the Kingdom with using Paul's writings.
    It's a recurring theme , it's as if they have reified Paul into Christ.

Christ's own words speak for Christ. No Apostle's, Disciple's, Theologian's or anyone else ...[text shortened]... rride them.

Any other view is assuming Christ was incapable of conveying His message.
    Matt 25?? What are you talking about?
  2. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    23 May '05 16:16
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Matt 25?? What are you talking about?
    the word of the Kingdom
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    23 May '05 23:24
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Those passages tend to support two ideas: that one needs an interpreter and that individualism in interpretation may lead to unorthodoxy.

If one uses Scripture to find some personal meaning, I have no qualms with that. There is a long tradition of people getting in trouble for following their conscience with regard to Scripture.
    Kirk: "Those passages tend to support two ideas: that one needs an interpreter and that individualism in interpretation may lead to unorthodoxy."

Peter does not speak of individualism.He speaks of something else.

Peter speaks of "destruction". Do you think this is the same as your "unorthodoxy" ?
  4. London
    Moves
    24 May '05 11:021 edit
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Kirk: "Those passages tend to support two ideas: that one needs an interpreter and that individualism in interpretation may lead to unorthodoxy."

Peter speaks of "d ...[text shortened]... ction". Do you think this is the same as your "unorthodoxy" ?
    From a Catholic perspective, of course, unorthodoxy/heterodoxy/heresy is destruction (or very close to it).

Figures; Peter was, after all, the first Pope.

EDIT: I realise there is probably a gradual change in degree in unorthodoxy-heterodoxy-heresy.
  5. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    24 May '05 15:54
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    [b]However you interrept Scripture, you are bound by that interreptation.

what if someone reads the bible and honestly interprets that it is all complete garbage and a waste of time?

then by your reasoning, they have to live by that interpretation. so they have to live as though the bible is complete garbage? is that what you were shooting for ...[text shortened]... pretty clever way around the fires of hell, huh? i knew i should not have opened that book...[/b]
    If someone had those thoughts as you say. Are they not bound by their interrpertation. If a person nevers open THE WORD OF GOD. And has no knowledge of JESUS CHRIST. He is then judged by the right and wrong in his life, as THE WORD OF GOD says. There are those that have this same understanding as well. They regret the fact that they opened and understood THE WORD OF GOD. They know that by their rejection of THE WORD OF GOD, they have a heavy price to pay.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    24 May '05 17:062 edits
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    If someone had those thoughts as you say. Are they not bound by their interrpertation. If a person nevers open THE WORD OF GOD. And has no knowledge of JESUS CHRIST. He is then judged by the right and wrong in his life, as THE WORD OF ...[text shortened]... heir rejection of THE WORD OF GOD, they have a heavy price to pay.
    If someone had those thoughts as you say. Are they not bound by their interrpertation.

what interpretation? the person i am thinking of has never read the bible and thus has no interpretation of its contents.

If a person nevers open THE WORD OF GOD. And has no knowledge of JESUS CHRIST. He is then judged by the right and wrong in his life, as THE WORD OF GOD says.

fair enough. does this mean, then, that this person, being that he is not aware of jesus and thus does not accept him as his personal savior, will go to hell for the even the tiniest infraction or sin? if so, then what you are saying is that a near-perfect person (good by any human standards -- far better than you or I in terms of sins committed) will be sentenced to eternal damnation only because he was never introduced to a book and had never heard the story of jesus (maybe his mommy and daddy didn't read to him at night when he was little). does that seem 'fair' to you?

There are those that have this same understanding as well. They regret the fact that they opened and understood THE WORD OF GOD. They know that by their rejection of THE WORD OF GOD, they have a heavy price to pay.

well, from what it sounds like, they would have paid the same price if they had never opened the book anyway (follows from what you posted above). but also, if they have rejected the word of god (as untrue), then they probably don't think they have any price to pay (because they think the bible is fallacious to begin with)
  7. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    26 May '05 04:05
    [b]If someone had those thoughts as you say. Are they not bound by their interrpertation.

what interpretation? the person i am thinking of has never read the bible and thus has no interpretation of its contents.

If a person nevers open THE WORD OF GOD. And has no knowledge of JESUS CHRIST. He is then judged by the right and wrong in his life ...[text shortened]... n't think they have any price to pay (because they think the bible is fallacious to begin with)
    THE WORD OF GOD clearly states itself very well. Those that reject THE WORD, GOD will reject them.
  8. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    26 May '05 04:29
    [b]If a person nevers open THE WORD OF GOD. And has no knowledge of JESUS CHRIST. He is then judged by the right and wrong in his life, as THE WORD OF GOD says.

fair enough. does this mean, then, that this person, being that he is not aware of jesus and thus does not accept him as his personal savior, will go to hell for the even the tiniest infra ...[text shortened]... mmy and daddy didn't read to him at night when he was little). does that seem 'fair' to you?[/b]
    You have brought up an interesting point. However I believe it is written (not sure exactly where, maybe someone can find it for me) that those who have not had an opportunity to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour will get a chance after death. This includes those who were born before Christ came.
  9. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    26 May '05 07:40
    Originally posted by bobbob1056th
    You have brought up an interesting point. However I believe it is written (not sure exactly where, maybe someone can find it for me) that those who have not had an opportunity to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour will get a chance after death. This includes those who were born before Christ came.
    ROMANS 2:12-16
  10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    26 May '05 13:13
    *bump*

Kirk ?
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    26 May '05 13:14

Peter speaks of "destruction". Do you think this is the same as your "unorthodoxy" ?

I meant this post, Kirk.
  12. London
    Moves
    26 May '05 13:24

I meant this post, Kirk.
    No posts from Kirk or Nemesio in a while. Think there's some cruise we're missing? 😉
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    26 May '05 14:19
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    No posts from Kirk or Nemesio in a while. Think there's some cruise we're missing? 😉

Mmmmm, that may be the reason for all that peace and quiet here and there 😉
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    26 May '05 19:14

Mmmmm, that may be the reason for all that peace and quiet here and there 😉
    What is it that y'all need from me? Can you not let a peaceful Christian go about his daily walk wit the Lord? Am I so damn indespensible that y'all's spiritual well-bein depends on me havin to impart my wisdom non-stop? I do not have the widsom of the magesterium or the Good Book. Please consult both.

Howeva I find it so enouragin that everyone seems to be missin Nemesio and me, but couldn't give a damn about Darfius and Pcaspian. Where the hell they been?
  15. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    26 May '05 21:04

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree