1. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    22 May '05 02:27
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

What does the Bible itself tells us about this issue ?
    Let's investigate:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    20: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

2 Peter 1-20
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ...[text shortened]... ualified guide ?
    -What are your thoughts regarding this issue, considering these Bible quotes ?
    Can I suggest that in the future you quote from a more modern translation? Like the New International Version? Languages (if nothing else ) do evolve, and we just don't speak KJV anymore.
  2. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    22 May '05 02:44
    Originally posted by chinking58
    Can I suggest that in the future you quote from a more modern translation? Like the New International Version? Languages (if nothing else ) do evolve, and we just don't speak KJV anymore.
    Actually some of us do. I'm not entirely satisfied with the nkj myself.
  3. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    22 May '05 02:47
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    Actually some of us do. I'm not entirely satisfied with the nkj myself.
    ok
  4. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    22 May '05 09:14
    Originally posted by chinking58
    Yes, languages evolve. That is one of the reasons why I think it is important not to “lose” the original languages—in this case Hebrew and Greek (and Aramaic).

The other reason is that translation often needs to be selective in trying to choose appropriate wording; this is especially true, for instance, with Hebrew, which is what I call a “depth language” wherein one word more often than not has many layers of meaning. For instance, the Hebrew word shalom is generally just translated as “peace.” However, it also carries the meanings of wholeness and harmony. The Hebrew word kavod is generally translated as “glory.” Now, I don’t know offhand what the original understandings of glory were, but kavod carries with it the sense of something weighty: a weighty, substantial or palpable presence.

These may be trivial examples, but there are some examples that I think are not so trivial. The Hebrew word ra is generally translated as “evil,” for example. This is true, I think, even still in modern English translations. However, ra means anything tat can be labeled “bad,” “unpleasant,” etc. It is not strictly a moral term, though it could include that sense. The main moral term for the Jews was “Tsedeq:” justness or righteousness. The English word evil also originally had the broader sense of anything that was in any way distasteful or unpleasant, and was not restricted to a particularly moral sense. If someone said “That was an evil meal,” they just meant it was unpleasant.

A New Testament example is “faith.” The underlying Greek word is pistis, whose basic meaning is trust, confidence, trustworthiness (the basic verb form pisteo: “to faith&rdquo😉. It has been translated into English as “faith” (from the Latin fide) and “belief.” Belief seems originally to have had a complex of meanings: to hold dear, to love, to trust, to give permission. [John Ayto, Dictionary of Word Origins] However, in modern usage, “to believe” has also come to mean “to suppose or to think,” “to take as real or true.” [Webster’s New World College Dictionary, Third Edition] If someone uses the word “believe” in these senses, they may be putting a new “spin” or interpretation on the original NT concept.

My own interpretation of “faith” follows somewhat from Soren Kierkegaard’s claim that faith is a “leap,” an active decision. So I think of faith as a) a decision made, b) based on whatever evidence, c) under conditions of uncertainty; and the willingness to act on that decision. That is, to make a decision and to act confidently on it, even though the outcome is uncertain—that is what a quarterback does when he throws the long pass with seconds remaining at the end of the game.

An interesting note on eros and agape (both translated as “love” ): In the old Greek, they are actually very close. Some of the early church fathers sometimes used them almost interchangeably--although the emphasis seemed to be on agape as God's eros--e.g., God's passionate love for creation. I think agape came to include both eros and philia (kinship, familial, friendship love, like or fondness for), and I translate agape as something like “;unconditional passionate caring for.”; Late in Christianity, and I suspect more in Protestantism (but not in the Greek Orthodox tradition), agape seems to have become more like philia.

An interesting example is John 21:15-17, where Jesus asks Peter three times “;Do you love me?”; The first two times, Jesus uses agape, but Peter responds in terms of philia--as if to say “;You know that I like you as if you were my own brother.”; The third time, Jesus asks “;Do you love me?”; using philia rather than agape. And “;Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time 'Do you phileis me.’”; As if Peter knew that, once again, he failed to understand where Jesus was coming from.

For Protestants who hold to Luther’s principle of sola scriptura, eschewing “Apostolic tradition” in interpreting the Bible, I think great care must be taken not to 1) “lose” the original languages, and 2) forget that many English words that were used to translate the original texts in 1611 (words that are still used in modern translations and in liturgy) may have evolved in four centuries to encompass meanings they didn’t have back then. Otherwise, the potential breadth of interpretation may be lost, if nothing else. This does not seem to be a problem for, say, the Greek Orthodox Churches (at least in terms of NT Greek): they have both kept the language and the hermeneutical traditions of the early church.

None of this is meant to imply that one cannot profitably read the Bible without being fluent in Hebrew and Greek. But an interlinear version, with a lexicon and a basic grammar can add a lot. I have found reading in the Orthodox tradition to be rewarding as well.
  5. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    22 May '05 13:58

What does the Bible itself tells us about this issue ?
    Let's investigate:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    20: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

2 Peter 1-20
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ...[text shortened]... ualified guide ?
    -What are your thoughts regarding this issue, considering these Bible quotes ?
    However you interrept Scripture, you are bound by that interreptation. Therefore you have to live by that interrpetation.Then you also will stand in judgement for that which you understand.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    22 May '05 14:32
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    However you interrept Scripture, you are bound by that interreptation. Therefore you have to live by that interrpetation.Then you also will stand in judgement for that which you understand.
    However you interrept Scripture, you are bound by that interreptation.

what if someone reads the bible and honestly interprets that it is all complete garbage and a waste of time?

then by your reasoning, they have to live by that interpretation. so they have to live as though the bible is complete garbage? is that what you were shooting for?

Then you also will stand in judgement for that which you understand.

suppose a person never reads the bible. then he understands none of it, because he read none of it. so he stands in judgment for nothing the bible says. pretty clever way around the fires of hell, huh? i knew i should not have opened that book...
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 May '05 14:38
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Who in particular would you like to hear from?

You, Kirk, could tell us something regarding the "Priesthood of the Believer" as it is understood in the Southern Baptist Churches or, in case there is a difference, as it is understood by yourself seen in the light of the quotes I gave in my first post. That would be interesting.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 May '05 15:20

You, Kirk, could tell us something regarding the "Priesthood of the Believer" as it is understood in the Southern Baptist Churches or, in case there is a difference, as it is understood by yourself seen in the light of the quotes I gave in my first post. That would be interesting.
    As I understand it, the term "priesthood of the believer" was from Martin Luther in response to what he considered the excessives of the Catholic church. He believed that a Christian had personal access to not only Scripture, but also to God and need not go through a priest for dispensation.

Southern Baptist have a long history of individualism. You can find congregations that are very conservative and some, though, not many that are liberal. Some are Calvinist in their theology while others wouldn't go near Calvinism. Some are active in their beliefs against abortion, while you will find some are more focused on being against violence and war. As of late Southern Baptist are becoming much more conservative, using terms like "inerrant" to describe Scripture as well as having clear political agendas that represent "the right."
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 May '05 18:21
    As I understand it, the term "priesthood of the believer" was from Martin Luther in response to what he considered the excessives of the Catholic church. He believed that a Christian had personal access to not only Scripture, but also to God and need not go through a priest for dispensation.

Southern Baptist have a long history of individualism. You ...[text shortened]... " to describe Scripture as well as having clear political agendas that represent "the right."

What about the three Bible quotes I gave ? What do they communicate to you ?
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 May '05 20:29

What about the three Bible quotes I gave ? What do they communicate to you ?
    Those passages tend to support two ideas: that one needs an interpreter and that individualism in interpretation may lead to unorthodoxy.

If one uses Scripture to find some personal meaning, I have no qualms with that. There is a long tradition of people getting in trouble for following their conscience with regard to Scripture.
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 May '05 21:121 edit
    Those passages tend to support two ideas: that one needs an interpreter and that individualism in interpretation may lead to unorthodoxy.

If one uses Scripture to find some personal meaning, I have no qualms with that. There is a lon ...[text shortened]... trouble for following their conscience with regard to Scripture.
    Saint Peter:
    "16: As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Kirk:
    " .... There is a long tradition of people getting in trouble for following their conscience with regard to Scripture."

???? .... do you have the impression Kirk that Peter talks about people getting in trouble for "following their own conscience" when he speaks here about "their own destruction" ?
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 May '05 21:20
    Saint Peter:
    "16: As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Kirk:
    " .... There is a long tradition of people getting in trouble for following their conscience with r ...[text shortened]... e for "following their own conscience" when he speaks here about "their own destruction" ?
    Ivanhoe, as you will recall, Jesus got into that kind of trouble when he read from Isaiah and said "the reading has been fulfilled in your hearing." They wanted to stone him.
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 May '05 22:08
    Ivanhoe, as you will recall, Jesus got into that kind of trouble when he read from Isaiah and said "the reading has been fulfilled in your hearing." They wanted to stone him.

..... and you don't want to get into trouble.
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    23 May '05 00:07

..... and you don't want to get into trouble.
    Not at all. Doin the Lord's work will always get you in trouble.
  15. London
    Moves
    23 May '05 15:08
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    Is that why everything used to be in Latin? So nobody could understand it without a priest?
    Why don't they just forbid lay people to read the bible if they are so worried about wrong interpretations.
    Heck, might as well ban newspapers too, filtered news is best.
    What do you think newspapers contain? LOL

Was the question about Latin serious or just another excuse for you to take a pot shot at the Church?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree