1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    18 May '05 14:451 edit

What does the Bible itself tells us about this issue ?
    Let's investigate:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    20: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

2 Peter 1-20
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

15: And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
    16: As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

2 Peter 3 15-16

26: And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.
    27: And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,
    28: Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.
    29: Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
    30: And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?
    31: And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
    32: The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
    33: In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
    34: And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
    35: Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

Acts, chapter 8 26-35

-Can we interprete Scripture as we see fit or do we need a qualified guide ?
    -What are your thoughts regarding this issue, considering these Bible quotes ?
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 May '05 14:52
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Let's investigate:

20: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

2 Peter 1-20
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ...[text shortened]... ualified guide ?
    I was watching some nun-like lady yesterday reading from the Bible. She was reading something about needing to give 'the bad son' several 'lashes'.

Next she says, 'does that mean someone is going to come and whip them? No, it means this child needs guidance'.

Heh? What? Lashes is guidance I guess. I wonder what she thinks a stoning is?

ES
  3. London
    Moves
    18 May '05 15:01
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I was watching some nun-like lady yesterday reading from the Bible. She was reading something about needing to give 'the bad son' several 'lashes'.

Next she says, 'does that mean someone is going to come and whip them? No, it means this child needs guidance'.

Heh? What? Lashes is guidance I guess. I wonder what she thinks a stoning is?

ES
    Reorientation.

But seriously - what's the big deal about a son receiving lashings from his father (I presume it was the father in the context)?
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 May '05 15:10
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Reorientation.

But seriously - what's the big deal about a son receiving lashings from his father (I presume it was the father in the context)?
    Well, it is tough to get away with hitting your kids these days... but I think one of the best things that ever happened to me was when my father hoisted me up by the wrist and gave me a good whack. Whatever I had done, I'm sure I didn't do again.

The question is what makes her think that a lashing is guidance... I guess she's following a kinder God, and toning down what we read in the Bible.

ES
  5. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    18 May '05 15:11
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Reorientation.

Yeah, a bit of physical abuse never hurt anyone! ;-P
  6. London
    Moves
    18 May '05 15:32
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Well, it is tough to get away with hitting your kids these days... but I think one of the best things that ever happened to me was when my father hoisted me up by the wrist and gave me a good whack. Whatever I had done, I'm sure I didn't do again.

The question is what makes her think that a lashing is guidance... I guess she's following a kinder God, and toning down what we read in the Bible.

ES
    I guess so.

Each book of the Bible was written at a particular time in human history ostensibly to create a particular impact on the particular minds/mindset of a particular people. I believe what the nun was trying to do was to create the same/similar impact on modern minds.

LH
  7. Not Kansas
    Moves
    18 May '05 16:40

Let's investigate:

2 Peter 1-20
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ...[text shortened]... ualified guide ?
    Is that why everything used to be in Latin? So nobody could understand it without a priest?
    Why don't they just forbid lay people to read the bible if they are so worried about wrong interpretations.
    Heck, might as well ban newspapers too, filtered news is best.
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    18 May '05 17:28

Let's investigate:

2 Peter 1-20
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ...[text shortened]... ualified guide ?
    see here's the problem:

each time mathew 25 has been discussed in here "fundies" have challenged the word of the Kingdom with using Paul's writings.
    It's a recurring theme , it's as if they have reified Paul into Christ.

Christ's own words speak for Christ. No Apostle's, Disciple's, Theologian's or anyone else's word can override them.

Any other view is assuming Christ was incapable of conveying His message.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    20 May '05 21:352 edits
    *bump*

Where are all the interpreters ? Don't have any of them any comment on the given Bible quotes in the first post ?

10. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    20 May '05 23:25
    *bump*

Where are all the interpreters ? Don't have any of them any comment on the given Bible quotes in the first post ?

Aren't the quotes are already interpretations of the word of the Kingdom ? Christ needs no interpretation, take His words or leave them, if you will, but don't try to spin them.
    There is a huge difference between spreading the word and interpreting it.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    21 May '05 07:051 edit

Let's investigate:

20: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any pri ...[text shortened]... ur thoughts regarding this issue, considering these Bible quotes ?
    can't you see the irony of using scripture to determine how to interpret scripture? think about that for a second...

when i reach for any new book or article that is nonfiction, i always expect to interpret it literally, which is to say, a well-written piece of non-fiction allows very little room for interpretation beyond the literal meaning of the printed words. the bible does not strike me as being a well-written piece of non-fiction. it's florid at best (a great word that Nemesio taught me). so you do the best you can and interpret as you see reasonable (what else can you do?).

but what you cannot do is look to the scripture to learn how to interpret scripture -- this will only work if scripture is initially well-written to begin with; but of course, if that is the case, then there is no need to go looking for guidelines on how to interpret it.

my thoughts on the bible quotes? they are meaningless in this context.
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    21 May '05 23:23
    *bump*

Who in particular would you like to hear from?
  13. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    22 May '05 01:04
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Who in particular would you like to hear from?
    I'm betting it's not me, you, scribs, no1, or frogstomp.
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 May '05 01:40
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    I'm betting it's not me, you, scribs, no1, or frogstomp.
    It must be Nemesio then.
  15. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    22 May '05 02:24

Let's investigate:

2 Peter 1-20
    Of course not.

You can't even interpret 'chinking58' as you see fit!

My wife tries, but sometimes I have to say to her 'no, I didn't mean THAT'! She might say that what I said sounded like such and such and I'll say I see how that could have sounded like that etc., but I really meant muff and muff. So it always falls on the 'encoder' to be certain the 'decoder' got it right.

A teacher has always helped students understand the textbook. Hopefully that teacher is familiar with the author, or at as least familiar with the subject as the author, and so can 'rightly divide' what is in his book.

So, we always benefit from those who have familiarized themselves with the Word of God. Those who have studied the contextual culture have a lot to offer. Someone who has gone back and forth, comparing similar references can simply shed a lot of light on something that is otherwise clouded in mystery.

Oftentimes I have been confused or befuddled by some passage. Then I either find a good explanation in a commentary, or hear my Pastor talk on that subject and find that it makes sense. Of course I test the explanation for myself to be sure it is rational and consistent with what I already know. As in reading Shakespeare, I appreciate the interpretation of those who know better.

In the end, it is my job to test the interpreters; they often disagree with each other and then I have to apply my judgement to decide who makes the best case for their view.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree