1. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 19:212 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Hey Melanerpes, there is no need to apologise to me for disagreeing with me or not explaining yourself properly. We are debating and this will happen.

Anyway ..
    - it is important to remember that only Christ knows what peoples motives are for doing good works and he will judge accordingly.
    - Christ is not expecting perfection and to state that e ...[text shortened]... nt. Thats really dangerous ground on which to tread because it contradicts what Christ preached.
    the problem is that Christian doctrine tends to emphasize Paul - who argues that works cannot, by themselves, lead to faith. Only grace can lead to faith. But James makes it clear that faith, once it exists, must always lead to works.

So, I agree with you. And it does seem like many Christians become focused on things like doctrinal issues or partisan bickering, while seeming to ignore the basic but essential issues of "how can we do a better job loving others" - or "how can we do a better job at not hurting others"?

In your opinion, what would be the best way to address this problem?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 20:11
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    the problem is that Christian doctrine tends to emphasize Paul - who argues that works cannot, by themselves, lead to faith. Only grace can lead to faith. But James makes it clear that faith, once it exists, must always lead to works.

So, I agree with you. And it does seem like many Christians become focused on things like doctrinal issues or partisan ...[text shortened]... not hurting others"?

I do not believe Christian doctrine tends to emphasize Paul. However, some
    Christian groups do. I agree that there should be a balance as James points
    out. Good works without faith has no saving power and faith without action
    accomplishes nothing. As James pointed out the hungry are not fed by faith
    alone.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 20:29
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I do not believe Christian doctrine tends to emphasize Paul. However, some
    Christian groups do. I agree that there should be a balance as James points
    out. Good works without faith has no saving power and faith without action
    accomplishes nothing. As James pointed out the hungry are not fed by faith
    alone.
    I'll ask you the same question I asked Rajk -- what do you think Christians (or anyone else) need to do "to do a better job of loving others"?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 21:03

So, I agree with you. And it does seem like many Christians become focused on things like doctrinal issues or partisan ...[text shortened]... not hurting others"?

First of all Im not a church-going Christian for exactly the reasons you described. There is too much pointless disagreement over minor doctrinal issues and the most basic commandment of Christ to 'love your neighbour' is given scant courtesy.

I cannot see any solution to the above for many churches because they are too taken up with their own superiority and have become like groups of Pharisees in the time of Christ.

There is hope for individuals who after having recognised the problems and would like the be judged favourably when Christ returns, have the strength to re-focus on the teachings of Christ and Paul.

Its a difficult road because contemporary Christian teaching has fooled the gullible into believing that all you need to do is to profess your faith in Christ and you will be saved by grace. No good works or no change of behaviour are required. Christians live the same worldly, greedy, materialistic and selfish lives which they lived before they accepted Christ because they were fooled into believing that ... how did you put it ? "Works makes you a Pharisee?"

I personally dont have those issues to deal with but Im willing to discuss it further. Maybe our discussion might help a reader or two. Start another thread if you like.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 22:53
    I'll ask you the same question I asked Rajk -- what do you think Christians (or anyone else) need to do "to do a better job of loving others"?
    I don't know. But I think if we tried harder to follow that "Golden Rule"
    Christ gave us and tried to see ourselves in the place of someone in need,
    it would help.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree