1. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 01:08
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    IDEALLY this is what love is. Usually, it's not.
    let us examine, if we may what Paul says, love is 'long suffering'. why would he say
    that? surely if that is the case, then love should never die, is it not so?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 01:17
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    let us examine, if we may what Paul says, love is 'long suffering'. why would he say
    that? surely if that is the case, then love should never die, is it not so?
    Can love be taken away or is that they same as it dying, in your opinion?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 01:191 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Can love be taken away or is that they same as it dying, in your opinion?
    scriptures indicate that love never fails, so, I guess not although you would need to be
    a little more specific in order for me to render anything other than a general type of
    statement.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 01:28
    If abused, love can surely die.

Neglected, eh, not so much. It can be attenuated, surely. Perhaps transformed into mere "warm feelings", such as remembering a lost love. In those cases, you don't love them the same way you once did, so perhaps you're right after all.
    I disagree, neglect can sometimes be more insidious and destructive than abuse.

And abuse doesn't always lead to hate, look at the number of battered women who
    tragically still love their husbands.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 01:31
    scriptures indicate that love never fails, so, I guess not although you would need to be
    a little more specific in order for me to render anything other than a general type of
    statement.
    The idea is taking one's love away from a former lover and giving it to
    somebody new, as is the lyrics of some songs. What is happening to
    love in these cases?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 01:40
    The idea is taking one's love away from a former lover and giving it to
    somebody new, as is the lyrics of some songs. What is happening to
    love in these cases?
    clearly it was not love, for love would not hurt someone in that way, would it, by biblical
    definition.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 02:04
    clearly it was not love, for love would not hurt someone in that way, would it, by biblical
    definition.
    Exactly. That is what I believe , but it is common to believe as
    googlefudge does and as seen in the many love songs of love gone wrong.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 02:083 edits
    Exactly. That is what I believe , but it is common to believe as
    googlefudge does and as seen in the many love songs of love gone wrong.
    yes but ol googlyfudge has a human vision of these things and we must make
    exceptions for it. The difference of course being that Biblical love, in most instances is
    Gr. agape and is therefore ruled by principle not simply emotion. The English word
    love is quite ambiguous and therefore its best if one defines what 'type', of love, one is
    on about, otherwise it becomes a source of confusion and leads to misunderstandings.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 02:21
    yes but ol googlyfudge has a human vision of these things and we must make
    exceptions for it. The difference of course being that Biblical love, in most instances is
    Gr. agape and is therefore ruled by principle not simply emotion. The English word
    love is quite ambiguous and therefore its best if one defines what 'type', of love, one is
    on about, otherwise it becomes a source of confusion and leads to misunderstandings.
    Maybe you could explain this to ol googlyfudge then. I somewhat doubt that you will get anywhere with him, however.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 02:261 edit
    Maybe you could explain this to ol googlyfudge then. I somewhat doubt that you will get anywhere with him, however.
    love believes all things in that its willing to impute pure motives to others 🙂 If googly
    fudge wishes to discuss it perhaps we can have a civil discussion.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 02:32
    Originally posted by yo its me
    Well having read all your views, I am beguning to wonder (and hope) that maybe I can stop loving someone and 'move on' eventually. And, more importantly that when this person tells me he loves me no more it dose not mean the last 13 years have been a lie but that he did infact love me and now, for reasons only known to himself, he no longer dose- but that he did once. Thanks for your considered replys everyone.
    I've heard some one say that it takes half as long to properly get over a r'ship.
    (For example a 10 year r'ship would take 5 years)
    I'm not saying this is true, but I think it does have some truth about it. What do you think?
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 02:38
    Of course you can.

How about dogs? Dogs are man's best friend. Loyal to the last. I saw an article on Yahoo the other day about a dog that is refusing to leave his master's gravesite. However, if you take the dog that loves you and you mistreat him by beating him all the time, he will start to fear you and eventually start growling at you and it's ve ...[text shortened]... on was "CAN you stop loving someone?" Clearly you can, but not under usual circumstances.
    Unfortunately words like "Normally" and "under usual circumstances" is hard to talk about in a thread with a subject matter such as this one. There are so many variations of "love" that it is hard to generalize accurately about it.
    That's not to say that I'm saying you shouldn't try 🙂
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 03:071 edit
    love believes all things in that its willing to impute pure motives to others 🙂 If googly
    fudge wishes to discuss it perhaps we can have a civil discussion.
    Am I to understand that you were referring to 2 different kinds of "love"?
    (Perhaps, (like the word "god" ), you might use a capital "L" for a certain (Godly) Love and a small "l" for a "lesser" (human?) love)

I just wanted a clarification on that to see if we were on the same page .
  14. Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 04:25
    Of course you can.

How about dogs? Dogs are man's best friend. Loyal to the last. I saw an article on Yahoo the other day about a dog that is refusing to leave his master's gravesite. However, if you take the dog that loves you and you mistreat him by beating him all the time, he will start to fear you and eventually start growling at you and it's ve ...[text shortened]... on was "CAN you stop loving someone?" Clearly you can, but not under usual circumstances.
    Absolutely correct!
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 09:42
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Am I to understand that you were referring to 2 different kinds of "love"?
    (Perhaps, (like the word "god" ), you might use a capital "L" for a certain (Godly) Love and a small "l" for a "lesser" (human?) love)

I just wanted a clarification on that to see if we were on the same page .
    yes I was thinking of it more in a Biblical context, for our Greek friends had more than
    one word for love, so we discern that there are many 'types', of love, romantic love
    (eros) not used in scripture, brotherly love we feel for our family and friends (phileo),
    love governed by principle (agape) and another (storge) which i am unsure of. Clearly
    we can see that the English term 'love', is not as specific as the Greek and contains
    none if its nuances.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree