1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 13:22
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Since the evidence indicates overwhelmingly that capital punishment is not a deterrent, it would be reasonable to conclude that those examples are due to other factors. After all, it would be foolish to conclude that capital punishment is only a deterrent in New Hampshire, but not anywhere else. Plus if you look at the number of executions, you'll see that ...[text shortened]... ving the death penalty, New Hampshire has not actually executed anyone in the last three years.
    I haven't seen any overwhelming evidence of such things. Like I said before, picking the right statistics can seem to prove any point you wish.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 13:22
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    its funny that if you look at the list of countries that still have the death penalty its a who's who of americas enemies. it would seem you guys have more in common with china, n korea, cuba, iran, iraq and pakistan than you would like to think.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2011/07/map-which-countries-use-the-death-penalty/241490/

Here's a map showing death penalty status by country around the world.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 13:401 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    all you have done is quote a bunch of scriptures, you still haven't told us what a soul is.
    I thought you JWs always want scripture to support the truth of an idea. Maybe this is a better example:

So the Jews answered and said to Him, “What sign do You show to us, since You do these things?”

Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

Then the Jews said, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?”

But He was speaking of the temple of His body. Therefore, when He had risen from the dead, His disciples remembered that He had said this to them; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had said.

(John 2:18-22 NKJV)

As Jesus and Paul say, the body is like a temple or a house that you live in. The body has no "will" like the soul does, because it is not really you. The soul is really you and the body is only a physical dwelling place for your soul.

What is the watchtower definition of the body and the soul?
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 13:44
    http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2011/07/map-which-countries-use-the-death-penalty/241490/

Here's a map showing death penalty status by country around the world.
    Statistics can't really prove the truth of anything. They can only be used to support a hypothesis.
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 14:04
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Statistics can't really prove the truth of anything. They can only be used to support a hypothesis.
    stastics prove that even though you have the death penalty (which you claim puts people off murder) america still has a murder rate 4x that of western europe (which has no death penalty to put people off).

since 1976 to 2010 the southern states of america have executed 1072 people.
    the northeast and midwest and west added together have executed 238 people.

guess which one has the highest homicide rate?
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 14:32
    And the statistics strongly support my hypothesis that capital punishment is not a deterrent.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 15:11
    And the statistics strongly support my hypothesis that capital punishment is not a deterrent.
    Perhaps.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 15:33
    I thought you JWs always want scripture to support the truth of an idea. Maybe this is a better example:

[b]So the Jews answered and said to Him, “What sign do You show to us, since You do these things?”

Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

Then the Jews said, “It has taken forty-six years ...[text shortened]... l dwelling place for your soul.

What is the watchtower definition of the body and the soul?
    The soul is really you and the body is only a physical dwelling place for your soul - RJH

again you have not explained what a soul is, all you have done is quote more
    scriptures, so i will ask you again, what is a soul? If it is me, does hat mean its a
    human being? Is it my personality? Is a personality the soul?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 16:06
    Originally posted by galveston75
    And the big point here that is being missed, in God's eyes the wages of sin is death and that death of a person cancels out all previous sins. The slate is clean and that person is promissed a resurrection back to life in the future. So in an absolute way of justice that debt of the sin of killing another has been paid and now that guilty person is able ...[text shortened]... s beyond any justice system that man can institute.
    Why would anyone have an issue with this?
    Wait just a minute here.

Are you ACTUALLY saying that the sin in killing a person has been paid by that victim's death? That the act of killing a person accrues sin debt AND pays it off in one stroke?

What are you on, and did you bring enough for the whole forum?
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 16:09
    The soul is really you and the body is only a physical dwelling place for your soul - RJH

scriptures, so i will ask you again, what is a soul? If it is me, does hat mean its a
    Why, oh why, robbie, do you ask these questions if you (supposedly) already know the answer?

Is it to make fun? Is your agenda to attempt to humiliate RJH with your answer?

Not showing a whole lot of love for your Christian brother there, are you?

And please, PLEASE don't give me your excuse that "RJH is not a Christian". So does that give you license to humiliate ANYone?

No, it doesn't.
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 16:25

So what is it Robbie, what is my soul doing while I am killing someone (feloniously or legally), is it pontificating about the hereafter, or perhaps it is sitting on my shoulder abhoring or applauding my actions.

Are we no more than seats for the cinema going souls who have come to watch God's latest greatest epic.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 16:291 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Why, oh why, robbie, do you ask these questions if you (supposedly) already know the answer?

Is it to make fun? Is your agenda to attempt to humiliate RJH with your answer?

Not showing a whole lot of love for your Christian brother there, are you?

And please, PLEASE don't give me your excuse that "RJH is not a Christian". So does that give you license to humiliate ANYone?

No, it doesn't.
    Why, oh why, robbie, do you ask these questions if you (supposedly) already know the answer? suzzianne

I know what my understanding of the term soul is, but i want RJH to explain what his is,
    isn't that obvious? RJHinds belittles himself, he doesn't need me to do it and whether
    he is a Christian is for Jesus to decide, now if you are finished being cynical perhaps
    you will tell me what a soul is?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 16:331 edit
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    So what is it Robbie, what is my soul doing while I am killing someone (feloniously or legally), is it pontificating about the hereafter, or perhaps it is sitting on my shoulder abhoring or applauding my actions.

Are we no more than seats for the cinema going souls who have come to watch God's latest greatest epic.
    actually our understanding is that the whole person is a soul, not that transient entity
    exists within us that is capable of transcending death. A soul is simply a living
    breathing entity that has been animated with life. I think Jehovahs Witnesses are
    entirely unique in that we do not believe that a part of us transcends death, unlike very
    religion I can think of.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 16:42
    actually our understanding is that the whole person is a soul, not that transient entity
    exists within us that is capable of transcending death. A soul is simply a living
    breathing entity that has been animated with life. I think Jehovahs Witnesses are
    entirely unique in that we do not believe that a part of us transcends death, unlike very
    religion I can think of.
    You still believe in an afterlife though.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 16:46
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    You still believe in an afterlife though.
    How can I believe in an afterlife when i do not profess that any part of a human
    transcends death? I believe that there will be a resurrection, not an afterlife, in fact,
    the teaching of the resurrection is incompatible with that of an afterlife, because how
    can you be resurrected if you have not really died, but have transcended death?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree